Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:50 AM

89 posts, read 172,635 times

Advertisements

Im moving to Chicago in a year or two, I was told to look into wicker park, Logan square, lake View, Bucktown, I came across Brownsville are the grocery stores, night life, will I have to drive, and is it safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 10:52 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk1969 View Post
Im moving to Chicago in a year or two, I was told to look into wicker park, Logan square, lake View, Bucktown, I came across Brownsville are the grocery stores, night life, will I have to drive, and is it safe?
Never heard of Brownsville.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:59 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
I think you meant Bronzeville. What made you look at Bronzeville and Hyde Park? If you're looking for things to do, those neighborhoods are not your answer. Bronzeville isn't bad but it's not all safe. Hyde Park is very safe, but there's not much to do even though it's a good community.

Neither of those neighborhoods have much of any night life. Those areas are not at all similar to Wicker Park, Logan Square, Lakeview, or Bucktown.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:02 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Maybe "Bronzeville"???

South side neighborhood that lies sorta north of Hyde Park and west of Kenwood. Not the worst neighborhood on the southside by a long shot but really more "hope / promise" that anything spectacular. Lots of folks that were hoping the boom in real estate and potential for Olympics would make for quick gains have instead realized that folks that have had to find alternatives to public housing cannot afford Lincoln Park sized rent...

Some nice middle class options, especially for families that prefer to stay close to traditional African American majority neighborhoods, but nothing like Wicker Park, Bucktown or Lakeview...

Old 08-27-2012, 06:35 PM

57 posts, read 145,884 times
I agree with all of the above. As far as public transit vs. driving is concerned, Hyde Park has a few bus options (plus the Metra) during the day, but it all shuts down at night. So if you want to return after midnight from the city's nightlife hotspots in the north and northwest, you will have to take a cab or drive. This obviously isn't an issue if you don't care about the late-night scene (hence, HP is great for families, etc.).

Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 PM

575 posts, read 616,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Never heard of Brownsville.
I think it's in Texas, down by Galveston.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:13 PM

117 posts, read 302,805 times
I haven't been to Bronzeville, but from what I've heard in the news, it's not the safest neighborhood. Hyde Park is diverse, but not a neighborhood you'd want to wander at night. The two neighborhoods have some bars, but have cultural centers/museums as well. Not much night life. There's a red line and a metra train in or near Bronzeville/Hyde Park, depending on where you live.

Look into Bridgeport - it's a very diverse neighborhood with much nightlife.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:30 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvparkrez11 View Post
Look into Bridgeport - it's a very diverse neighborhood with much nightlife.
I mean, there are bars in Bridgeport, but it's nowhere near on par with other neighborhood (like the ones the OP listed) that have nightlife. Not a bad area, pretty cheap rent and there's enough restaurants around on Halsted and Archer over there with some bars of course.

Last edited by marothisu; 08-27-2012 at 10:41 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 11:20 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvparkrez11 View Post
Hyde Park is diverse, but not a neighborhood you'd want to wander at night.
O really?

Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I'm not sure there's any neighborhood you should "wander" around at night, but Hyde Park is no more dangerous to walk from place to place than any other gentrified neighborhood in Chicago. I'm still alive anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago