Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:56 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,921,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka_on_the_shore View Post
you must not be noticing the new clustering trends happening in the southwest neighborhoods.

Those neighborhoods may be "diverse" but there as hell ain't much social interaction between aforementioned "diversity".
I cant speak for other southwest neighborhoods, but I see social interaction between races in Pilsen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 11:45 PM

72 posts, read 143,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
I cant speak for other southwest neighborhoods, but I see social interaction between races in Pilsen.
To some extent I agree, mostly the non-profit organizations established there as several community services, but overall as neighbors rarely do I see any interaction.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:08 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,921,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka_on_the_shore View Post
To some extent I agree, mostly the non-profit organizations established there as several community services, but overall as neighbors rarely do I see any interaction.
I don't know anything about the non-profit organizations. I just know that living in Pilsen I'm constantly interacting with people of different races at the bars, coffee shops, restaurants, laundromat, grocery store, block parties, cookouts, sidewalk, farmer's market, etc. I don't really know how one could live here and not do so, unless they never left their apartments.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:37 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by facebookdigg123 View Post
which areas of hyde park do you think should be avoided?
Anywhere along Cottage Grove

53rd west of about Woodlawn

51st west of about Woodlawn

All along 47th - I see signs of improvement so maybe it's OK now, but I'm not sure

(47th is actually in Kenwood, I know)

Old 09-03-2012, 07:42 AM

117 posts, read 302,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post

All along 47th - I see signs of improvement so maybe it's OK now, but I'm not sure

Also south of Washington Park (Woodlawn neighborhood) and west of the Washington Park (Washington Park neighborhood). Those spots are shady. Also, walking in Washington Park at night is not a good idea.

U of C is the western border of safety and the Museum of Science and Industry is the southern border. Don't go past those two.

Here are some pictures if you don't believe me:

Washington Park

Woodlawn

Last edited by irvparkrez11; 09-03-2012 at 07:51 AM..

Old 09-03-2012, 08:15 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvparkrez11 View Post
Also south of Washington Park (Woodlawn neighborhood) and west of the Washington Park (Washington Park neighborhood). Those spots are shady. Also, walking in Washington Park at night is not a good idea.
The discussion was about the safety of Hyde Park. Bringing in other neighborhoods makes as much sense as bringing up Uptown when discussing the safety of Lakeview. Oh, wait, you did that too.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:10 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,382 times
In my opinion, the best blocks in Hyde Park are in the area bounded by 55th Street, Woodlawn, 48th (approximately), and the lake. The best areas in Hyde Park are also the ones with the best transit access and the biggest selection of stores. The area south of 55th definitely isn't bad, but I've noticed a slightly higher crime rate there. Those blocks also have less street life due to lower density housing, so it can feel pretty creepy at night. There's a rent premium for being closer to the university, so it's better to focus the search north of 55th. The area in Kenwood from 47th Street to the north (at least to 43rd) isn't terrible, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Walking in Washington Park isn't really a good idea even during the daytime. Further, that area just to the south of Washington Park (west of Cottage Grove) seems to be one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the city. The number of shootings there is just astounding.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:10 PM

117 posts, read 302,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
The discussion was about the safety of Hyde Park. Bringing in other neighborhoods makes as much sense as bringing up Uptown when discussing the safety of Lakeview. Oh, wait, you did that too.
Just giving people a heads up, if they happen to stumble into those areas.

BTW, those pics are for directly west of Washington Park and directly south of Washington Park, respectively.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:31 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post

I agree with you about Cottage Grove and 47th St. Those streets are the borders of the Hyde Park neighborhood. The rest is a cakewalk, IMO.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:48 PM

148 posts, read 307,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
In my opinion, the best blocks in Hyde Park are in the area bounded by 55th Street, Woodlawn, 48th (approximately), and the lake. The best areas in Hyde Park are also the ones with the best transit access and the biggest selection of stores. The area south of 55th definitely isn't bad, but I've noticed a slightly higher crime rate there. Those blocks also have less street life due to lower density housing, so it can feel pretty creepy at night. There's a rent premium for being closer to the university, so it's better to focus the search north of 55th. The area in Kenwood from 47th Street to the north (at least to 43rd) isn't terrible, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Walking in Washington Park isn't really a good idea even during the daytime. Further, that area just to the south of Washington Park (west of Cottage Grove) seems to be one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the city. The number of shootings there is just astounding.
why do they call the area south of 55th the golden rectangle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago