Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:30 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,210,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvparkrez11 View Post
We have a South Sider here? Englewood, night or day, must be a walk in the park for you then .
Englewood is one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the city. Hyde Park is one of the safest. If you're not familiar with neighborhoods, you should at least look up data on them before commenting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 12:33 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,575,707 times
Irvparkrez1 is just another confused, arrogant northsider who doesn't have a clue. Regardless of my income, I will never live on that side of town. I would rather dodge bullets on the south side if neccessary.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:33 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
The north part, near IIT and South Loop, is fine. The south part, near Washington Park, is less safe. It should really be considered two separate neighborhoods.

Now that's just silly.
It's silly and unfortunate. I hear people all the time say they don't go south of some street and they mis out on a lot of things.

This is what redlining and segregation will do for a city. People will imagine issue that don't exist.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:36 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,575,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
This is what redlining and segregation will do for a city. People will imagine issue that don't exist.
I've never been to any city that remotely compares to Chicago in this aspect. This place really is stuck in the 50's. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:38 PM

117 posts, read 302,885 times
Quote:
Englewood is one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the city. Hyde Park is one of the safest. If you're not familiar with neighborhoods, you should at least look up data on them before commenting.
It's not my fault you can't catch sarcasm .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Irvparkrez1 is just another confused, arrogant northsider who doesn't have a clue. Regardless of my income, I will never live on that side of town. I would rather dodge bullets on the south side if neccessary.
I've been to the southside - all over, in fact. I've driven by Englewood. I've actually walked in Gage Park - rough-looking, but pretty safe. I've been to Washington Park - also safe during the day. I've been to Hyde Park - safe during the day, but not so at night.

People exaggerate how safe Hyde Park is, really. 52 reported crimes (including thefts, assaults, batteries, etc) occurred over a span of last 2 weeks (ClearMap). Only 37 in Bridgeport.

Last edited by irvparkrez11; 08-28-2012 at 12:48 PM..

Old 08-28-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
So you were being sarcastic when you said Hyde Park isn't a place you'd walk at night? If so, you're right, I missed it.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:47 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
Yeah, but the people he saw fighting were black! Don't you know that makes all the difference?

This kind of mindset is why Chicago remains a largely segregated city.
Yeah it's sad......

Old 08-28-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I've never been to any city that remotely compares to Chicago in this aspect. This place really is stuck in the 50's. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.
Much of the Great Lakes area (on the U.S. side) is this way, in my experience. The difference is that Chicago is the only place in the region that fancies itself a "world class city" (whatever that means), so the backward mentality on race stands out more here. I love this city, but I do find that part of it to be maddening. It's one thing that people from the West Coast or Europe find it to be bizarre, but it should really serve as a wake-up call to us when people from places Atlanta think it's weird and backwards.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:06 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
Quote:

I've been to the southside - all over, in fact. I've driven by Englewood. I've actually walked in Gage Park - rough-looking, but pretty safe. I've been to Washington Park - also safe during the day. I've been to Hyde Park - safe during the day, but not so at night.

People exaggerate how safe Hyde Park is, really. 52 reported crimes (including thefts, assaults, batteries, etc) occurred over a span of last 2 weeks (ClearMap). Only 37 in Bridgeport.
Oh rly? And how many in Lake View?

You really do perpetuate a lot of unfair stereotypes about North Siders.

Then again, he also knows little about the North Side yet argues as if he does. So there's that.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:11 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
Quote:
Much of the Great Lakes area (on the U.S. side) is this way, in my experience. The difference is that Chicago is the only place in the region that fancies itself a "world class city" (whatever that means), so the backward mentality on race stands out more here. I love this city, but I do find that part of it to be maddening. It's one thing that people from the West Coast or Europe find it to be bizarre, but it should really serve as a wake-up call to us when people from places Atlanta think it's weird and backwards.
That's the sad thing is people embrace the segregation as if it's normal. St. Louis was segregated as well but it was always viewed as something that was a black eye for the city not something that should be embraced.

I've met many White people in Chicago who would look down on and talk about how racist people are from the southeast and they are worse off than most southerners with xenophobia and stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago