Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:03 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,214,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
A 36 percent jump from this time last year is more than a blip.
It is, but it's also important to remember that in March the murder rate had jumped by 60%, it's been coming back in line with usual numbers since then. By the end of the year I don't think we'll see an increase of 36% for the year, most likely it will be a jump of 10-20%, entirely attributable to a bad first three months of the year. So while it is an increase, it doesn't seem to be a continuing trend.

I think it is also important to note that overall crime is down pretty much across the board.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:26 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,282,553 times
Sounds like they need a pow wow with NYC, which is three times as big and has roughly the same number of homicides annually.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,117,756 times
So I got my Chicago magazine in the mail today and the headline read "Top Cop McCarthy on crime" however the more appropriate headline should have read "Top Cop McCarthy off crime". If you ask me that jag dish needs to go then Rahm is trying to plead with the gang bangers during a TV interview where he asks the criminals to step away from the kids when shooting each other, stop harming innocent people do it where innocent people won't get hurt. Yeah okay that'll fix it! what we really need and I haven't seen anyone try this before so it's worth a shot but get like 200 people together and 200 candles and light them and if we join hands and walk up and down the streets of the most troubled area that way the gang bangers will see this sign of solidarity and realize they shouldn't be selling drugs or shooting 7yr old girls. I just think this might work. Also is Jackson Jr still in hiding or is he just spending time in the Dells again?

Old 07-10-2012, 07:45 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,301,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Sounds like they need a pow wow with NYC, which is three times as big and has roughly the same number of homicides annually.
I'm pretty cynical about most "solutions" to crime, but I'm convinced that NYC is doing something right. Actually, more like doing a lot of little things right.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:59 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,282,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
I'm pretty cynical about most "solutions" to crime, but I'm convinced that NYC is doing something right. Actually, more like doing a lot of little things right.
Yes it's amazing.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:12 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,258,281 times
Quote:
Yes, it's called pushing the marginalized, poor people out of the city. We could accomplish the same by lopping off two thirds of Chicago.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:44 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,301,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Yes, it's called pushing the marginalized, poor people out of the city. We could accomplish the same by lopping off two thirds of Chicago.
It could seem that way at first glance, but their public housing authority remains strong (unlike Chicago's "ah @#$! it, just tear it down" approach to the projects), their rent control system is pretty singular (and perhaps singularly dysfunctional), and there is plenty of affordable living to be had in the outer boroughs, and even in the far north of Manhattan.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:35 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Like under-reporting crime?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/29/ny...udy-finds.html

Old 07-10-2012, 10:14 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,174,974 times
Quote:
not necessarily
An increase far in excess of any normal year-to-year variation is not, by definition, a "blip." It may be caused by something that will ultimately resolve itself using the current range of actions, but it's definitely a sign that SOMETHING different is happening. Maybe it's a spike in murders because chopping the head off the gangs has resulted in temporary power imbalances being resolved by violence and because of that this is sort of a dying gasp by the violent gang members - but that's not what a blip is. But we don't know what the cause is yet. If it is temporary, we may know the cause in a year or two. If it's not temporary, it may take a decade to really know what's driving it.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:21 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,784,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post

Exactly, maybe if we had a state called "New Jersey" to dump our lower classes in, we could be a safe Disney Magic Mountain City, like NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago