Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 03:41 AM

44 posts, read 211,258 times

Advertisements

Relatives say that the video tape will prove the innocent of the men who allegedly beat several people in that neighborhood. Remember they are innocent until proven guilty. I have no doubt in my mind that racial slurs were thrown out which instigated them to possibly brawl it out with the racists. Why would black men older than 30 who have rap sheets, a couple of them on parole, go out to a neighborhood that is predominantly white, with their main motive being to attack residents living in the area (supposed white people)? These are not teenagers, these are grown men who were trying to put their past behind them. It does not make sense...the profile of suspects usually committing this crime are teenagers.

No doubt in my mind racial slurs were thrown out, and as a former black male living and traveling in that neighborhood along with all the touristy areas in the North Side of Chicago, i know how racist the residents can become. I just dont get it, I rarely experience it in any other trendy neighborhoods in big cities, however in Chicago it seems like most of the residents who reside in these areas are racist. Two wrongs dont make a right but these charges should be thrown out if slurs are mentioned at any part in the video. It is unacceptable and whoever got beat should be charged with a hate crime.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:54 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,996,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipGrant View Post
No doubt in my mind racial slurs were thrown out, and as a former black male living and traveling in that neighborhood along with all the touristy areas in the North Side of Chicago, i know how racist the residents can become. I just dont get it, I rarely experience it in any other trendy neighborhoods in big cities, however in Chicago it seems like most of the residents who reside in these areas are racist.
I don't think Chicago understands how this makes them look to the world. I've never experienced being around so many who think segregation and using racial slurs are ok.

The rappers are going to be charged because they made the choice to get out of their limo. But story is far from over with the spotlight on racism in lake view. Too much is happening. Too many bad experiences.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:20 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,519,800 times
What was the rap video about and why did they choose Lakeview to film it in?

Old 07-10-2012, 05:28 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,310,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipGrant View Post
Two wrongs dont make a right but these charges should be thrown out if slurs are mentioned at any part in the video. It is unacceptable and whoever got beat should be charged with a hate crime.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
What was the rap video about and why did they choose Lakeview to film it in?
The name of the music video was take a sip. It was a celebratory scene. Wrigleyville being one of the premier night spots in the area, the neighborhood was fitting.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:53 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,519,800 times
Well I read the article.
Relatives: Racial taunts sparked Lakeview brawl - chicagotribune.com

I really don't see how these guys have any leg to stand on. So they were called a bad word. If they really were out there shooting a music video and looking for no trouble, then why do they start punshing people just beacuse of name calling. These are not little kids/teenagaers. These are grown men. Too sad.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:15 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,303,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Physically assaulting another might be called 'animal behavior'. However, verbally taunting might be called a type of profiling or an act of civil disobedience. The groups are equally guilty and should feel the sting of Chicago's legal system equally.
??? Profiling = illegal police methods. Civil disobedience = moral protest against an unjust law (Thoreau's idea, best exemplified by MLK). At least those are the definitions that I'm aware of. I'm confused as to what law you believe the alleged taunters were breaking.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,076 times
How did these men hear these racial taunts if they were sitting in a limosuine? How did they know what person said them? How did a guy exiting a pizza place deserve to get his jaw broke simply someone else on the street may have said a racial slur?

I can't believe how many people are excusing these grown mens behavior. I am glad that blaming the victims helps you sleep at night, but it certainly won't protect you the next time you are innocently exiting a pizza place and adult men chose to act like animals, beating anyone on the street. I also cannot believe how many of you are willing to take these mens mothers at their word. No witnesses have come out and said there were racial taunts, only their mothers have. There mothers weren't even there. These men all have criminal records, their credibility is shot. It is a busy street... Why are no witnesses excusing these mens behavior? Because, for rational people, there is no excuse.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:20 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,303,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
What scares me is these guys are like 30 years old. WTF. I thought it was just teenagers causing this trouble. Talk about ghetto, some grown men. WOW.
Actually, the typical criminal has always been and still is a grown (though young) man. You just hear more about violent teenagers because it makes flashier headlines.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvfield View Post
How did these men hear these racial taunts if they were sitting in a limosuine? How did they know what person said them? How did a guy exiting a pizza place deserve to get his jaw broke simply someone else on the street may have said a racial slur?

I can't believe how many people are excusing these grown mens behavior. I am glad that blaming the victims helps you sleep at night, but it certainly won't protect you the next time you are innocently exiting a pizza place and adult men chose to act like animals, beating anyone on the street. I also cannot believe how many of you are willing to take these mens mothers at their word. No witnesses have come out and said there were racial taunts, only their mothers have. There mothers weren't even there. These men all have criminal records, their credibility is shot. It is a busy street... Why are no witnesses excusing these mens behavior? Because, for rational people, there is no excuse.
It's just a matter of time before the video goes viral.

I'm not excusing the behavior. I want the whole story. Ever since my first post after reading the story, I knew by the location and from personal experience living in lake view that there was probably a racial issue.

I've lived in some of the most dangerous cities in the nation. Never have I seen a situation like this be random. There is always two sides to the coin. You and I should demand more from the media.

Why not take the mothers word for it? They haven't done anything to you or me. Why should we take anyone else's word for anything? Until I see the video I will weigh everything out.

If you bring history into the picture bring everyone's history. It isn't as random as you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago