Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:24 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Ok? Is the thread about homicides or what's up with people in some areas of Chicago?

I'm a Black male and most homicides are Black on Black. On the other hand do I fear for my life every time I leave home? No. Because I realize it's mostly gang violence. (I hope I'm addressing your concern).

When was the last time a Black gang bangers shot an innocent White person in LV? No, transplants in LV are not driving up the body count. I don't think that is the subject. If LV ers are concerned with being murdered by Black men, the problem is far deeper than I thought. I think they fear being robbed beaten up and raped. Not murdered!? The fear obviously comes from not being exposed to normal Black people (segregation) and not being informed.

Are you scared of Black because of what you hear (not what you experience)?
I agree. I think in the more dangerous places of course you want to stay away because of stray bullets and stuff, but it's true a lot of this is gang on gang type of homicide. I mean, I know there is some stuff in Lakeview, but when I go to Lakeview or an area like that, I am not expecting to be attacked or shot at or anything. There's a few weird things that's happened, but I think it's pretty absurd to think you'd be randomly targeted up there (but it is still possible as we've seen).

There are other homicides, almost muggings or robberies "gone wrong," but I think it's safe to say a lot is gang related violence. I still don't like to be in areas with gang violence for obvious reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 11:15 PM

332 posts, read 525,359 times
Quote:
If LV ers are concerned with being murdered by Black men, the problem is far deeper than I thought. I think they fear being robbed beaten up and raped. Not murdered!? The fear obviously comes from not being exposed to normal Black people (segregation) and not being informed.

The black/white divide is the tragic story of our country and we are finally making at least some progress to a societal healing. That said, the problem runs VERY deep. Some people come here conscientiously to address the faults they recognise in their own backgrounds. When you're raised in an exurban/rural all white background, don't even lay eyes on a person of another ethnicity until you're 9 years old, and are told (repeatedly) that all black people except MLK and a handful of athletes are n*****s and subhumans who do nothing but live in the city and shoot everyone in sight, you obviously have a lot of misinformation to sort through. If you have half a conscious and care about the right thing, you realize the hand you've been dealt and try to do something constructive about it. And that of course can take a lot of time.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:08 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandaddy View Post
The black/white divide is the tragic story of our country and we are finally making at least some progress to a societal healing. That said, the problem runs VERY deep. Some people come here conscientiously to address the faults they recognise in their own backgrounds. When you're raised in an exurban/rural all white background, don't even lay eyes on a person of another ethnicity until you're 9 years old, and are told (repeatedly) that all black people except MLK and a handful of athletes are n*****s and subhumans who do nothing but live in the city and shoot everyone in sight, you obviously have a lot of misinformation to sort through. If you have half a conscious and care about the right thing, you realize the hand you've been dealt and try to do something constructive about it. And that of course can take a lot of time.
I guess that's all part of growing up. People are not perfect!

We miss opportunity and a great deal of blessings by writing people off based on foolery.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:22 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
Very well said.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:15 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Ok? Is the thread about homicides or what's up with people in some areas of Chicago?

I'm a Black male and most homicides are Black on Black. On the other hand do I fear for my life every time I leave home? No. Because I realize it's mostly gang violence. (I hope I'm addressing your concern).

When was the last time a Black gang bangers shot an innocent White person in LV? No, transplants in LV are not driving up the body count. I don't think that is the subject. If LV ers are concerned with being murdered by Black men, the problem is far deeper than I thought. I think they fear being robbed beaten up and raped. Not murdered!? The fear obviously comes from not being exposed to normal Black people (segregation) and not being informed.

Are you scared of Black because of what you hear (not what you experience)?
Gang bangers of all colors regularly hit kids and innocents due to ****-poor aim and a need to be drunk or high to have the stones to pull a trigger. Violence doesn't only stay confined to gang members, even if they are the most likely to be victims of their own bad karma, the "it's just gang on gang, nothing to see here, folks" description doesn't account for the intimidation factor, the impact in the schools, etc.

I grew up in LV and couldn't be any less worried about the average black guy on the street, unless it's 3 am and said person is walking around shouting at the top of their lungs.

But there are absolutely organized gangs like the GDs operating in LV, check out the Chicago Gang Book or talk to people (like me) who remember them trying to stake out turf along Belmont and Sheffield in the 90s and causing trouble. LV is far from some fortress of isolation, you certainly know that.

Back to the point, people new to the city and in transient neighborhoods in LV likely make negative associations with a group widely portrayed as guilty of most murder (a highly publicized stat) - why wouldn't they? I'm not defending it, just explaining it. Takes time to learn the nuances, that doesn't go well with the attention span and sound-bite culture of network news. I can understand why normal black folks don't like being stereotyped, normal white folks don't like being stereotyped as garden-variety bigots either.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:52 PM

283 posts, read 447,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
This is crazy. However, I do feel that majority of black men have an a more aggressive demeanor. I actually become shocked when I see non-hard looking African American male. It is not exactly about a look of clothing. Unfortunately, this is the case that black men have to be more careful in what they wear and their approach.
And if you do that, (SOME) white people make snide racial jokes that "You're white" and "not black". Also making "racial" joked around you because they think you're "cool" with it. Yeah.....

Also, LOL @ being "Shocked as a non-hard looking black person.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:21 PM

283 posts, read 447,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary2012 View Post
It's just odd to me, because if these guys truly want to feel welcome, they will create their own safe spaces amongst like-minded individuals who share their mindset. Why won't they band together and create their own business ventures on the South and/or West Side and encourage their middle class black male friends to do the same. If black men created safe spots with amenities, black college educated people (from all over the country) would surely flock to those areas. Harlem is a case in point.
Bronzeville? Atlanta? And if we do do PRECISELY that white people ***** about "Racism" or us bragging about establishing a black dominated zone which is functioning well.

Quote:
You certainly have the right to live wherever you wish. I am simply stating that black guys need to stop complaining about racism when they select predominately white neighborhoods to reside in...
Lincoln Park used to be a Puerto Rican neighborhood before the whites invaded. Those same whites also invaded the near west and south sides of Chicago, black zones.

Quote:
If black males truly want to change the overall perception, they must learn to build/develop safe neighborhoods within their own communities.
And be called racist for it (c.f. Atlanta, and HBCU).

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah that's true..the thing is though, that it's rather weird to just assume a white person's family was responsible for all the heinous things committed. There were many poor white, european immigrants who came here even in the middle 19th century who had nothing to do with any of that. I can understand the distrust, but I think it's a little weird to assume that someone's family or ancestors were involved in these heinous acts just because of the color of their skin. That would be like someone assuming anybody who's from Germany's grandparents were Nazis, which is not true either.
They benefited from such an arrangement though, even if they did not personally go owning slaves or whatnot.

Quote:
Yes, much of the goal is to keep the majority of black Americans believing that they have to wait for government and/or corporations to help them out of their current situation, because they can't possibly do much on their own. But of course, government can't do much but keep people generationally poor (through welfare dependency) and corporations will always be looking to exploit their workforce, to ensure that they maximize their own profit margins.
Well attempting to establish a separate state was amazingly controversial and again, white america bitched about "black racism" when people advocated that.

Quote:
Unfortunately, so many people are stuck in a state of dependency and negative thinking. If one believes that they won't be successful, they can't make any attempt to better themselves. Whenever I tell (low income) black people to focus on developing themselves and focus on creating their own businesses, many become very hostile. I guess it's just easier to blame others or cry about racism.

I however wish that more blacks would take advantage of all of the free small business workshops offered by the U.S Small Business Administration. The crazy part is, there's so many programs that are specifically geared at helping minority/women entrepreneurs. I am not in anyway suggesting that it's easy, believe me it's not, but anything worthwhile is usually very difficult.
Most recently opened small businesses fail. Just saying "Well make your own business" won't work.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:24 PM

472 posts, read 1,098,028 times
Hmm, guess the op got in over his head on this one. He's yet to make another appearance.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:08 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
Quote:
When you're raised in an exurban/rural all white background, don't even lay eyes on a person of another ethnicity until you're 9 years old, and are told (repeatedly) that all black people except MLK and a handful of athletes are n*****s and subhumans who do nothing but live in the city and shoot everyone in sight, you obviously have a lot of misinformation to sort through.
I heard that same stuff from my Victorian era grandmothers. I didn't believe it when I was seven and I still don't believe it nearly seventy years later. What I believe is as long as anyone stands in any pulpit anywhere in the world, and preaches hate the wound won't completely heal. There will always be a racist KKK in a suit or pretty dress trying to sell bigotry along with a "something" we think we can't live with out. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago