Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 07:46 AM

413 posts, read 832,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Sure, if you have a time machine to 1996. It's Lincoln Park Part II now.
Depends on your definition of hip. Didn't mean hipster. Just that there is a lot of bars and restaurants and a lot going on in general. A place where you would want to live if you want to be in a lively area with a lot of action. I would classify lincoln park as this too. This is what OP claimed he was looking for so I think WP might be a good fit too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 07:52 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,836 times
Quote:
Sure, if you have a time machine to 1996. It's Lincoln Park Part II now.

yep

Old 06-13-2012, 08:37 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindukid View Post
Depends on your definition of hip. Didn't mean hipster. Just that there is a lot of bars and restaurants and a lot going on in general. A place where you would want to live if you want to be in a lively area with a lot of action. I would classify lincoln park as this too. This is what OP claimed he was looking for so I think WP might be a good fit too.
So you mean trendy or popular, not hip. I agree that it would be a good fit for the OP. I just thought "hip" was an odd word to use for modern-day WP. I'm not sure I would call it young anymore, either, though I guess that's a relative term.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:47 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2H View Post
So if I happen to not like Roscoe Village or Lincoln Square, maybe I should think about the southern part of Lakeview? Kind of want to be on the red line, but for sure not as far north as Andersonville...
No, if you don't want to deal with the collegy type atmosphere stay away from Southern Lakeview. With the exception of Wrigleyville, one of the most collegy areas in the city is where Lakeview and Lincoln Park meet (ie the southern portion of LV) as it gets extremely collegey.

If you want Lakeview I suggest, Western Lakeview. You want to stay west of Ashland you are good and close to the Paulian Brown Line. It's a lot of families and young professionals, but neither is overwhelming.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:48 AM
S2H S2H started this thread

20 posts, read 35,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindukid View Post
I think you should ask yourself if parking must be indoor or will you accept an outdoor space. I think that will open up far more options. Also why not Wicker park. Its young and hip with lots of nightlife and probably a little cheaper than lincoln park.
Maybe a good covered outdoor space. I dunno, I'm insane about my car. I like knowing it's put away safe in a garage. It's my baby...

I dunno, Wicker Park might work. I guess I'm open to anything.

What are your opinions on working with Apartment Finders? I've heard bad things.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:00 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
So you mean trendy or popular, not hip. I agree that it would be a good fit for the OP. I just thought "hip" was an odd word to use for modern-day WP. I'm not sure I would call it young anymore, either, though I guess that's a relative term.
Okay, so this is a very nerdish, sociological/anthropological description of the difference between "hip" and "hipster", which are not the same thing and, despite the shared root, are very nearly opposites in many ways.

Being "hip" is the state of being aware of current trends and new developments in design and style and, yes, even technology. Being "hip" isn't a style or an age group or even a lifestyle, it's more a state of mind and maintenance of a youthful sense of curiosity. People who are "hip" tend to be leaders precisely because they're *not* "hipsters," they're otherwise ordinary people who can help translate trends to less hip people within their normal cohort. It's often the "hip" people who synthesize multiple trends to create new ones or combine trends with other non-trendy aspects of culture to create new trends. This makes for excellent business ideas so some hip people do quite well, although since it's a state of mind, one doesn't need to be rich to be hip. In many ways, being hip is the ultimate cool, because it means being aware of culture, but still doing your own thing. Certainly you can get some people who seem hip who treat less-hip people with scorn, but I think those people are just a-holes.

Being a "hipster" is someone who has a lifestyle devoted to following or enhancing a certain subset of trends (not necessarily contemporary ones), who prefers to hang out with other, similar hipsters. By definition they're not leaders, they're followers. Hipsters tend to spend their money and time on following trends, so prefer less expensive areas. I would personally put hipsters in the category of poseurs.

So, with those definitions, I would describe contemporary Wicker Park as still being hip with some hipsters. I would describe the borderlands of Bucktown and Logan Square as being mostly hipster, with a few hip individuals and businesses (i.e. Lula Cafe, Bonsoiree, Longman and Eagle, etc).

Old 06-13-2012, 09:10 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Okay, so this is a very nerdish, sociological/anthropological description of the difference between "hip" and "hipster", which are not the same thing and, despite the shared root, are very nearly opposites in many ways.
I'm old enough that the word "hipster" to me means "one who is hip". I realize that it has come to mean something different in recent years, which is why I don't really use the word anymore and wish it would die. When I say Lincoln Park and (modern) Wicker Park aren't hip, that's exactly what I mean. I think most would agree. I don't mean they aren't "hipster" by the current definition. That would probably also be true, but I don't really care about that. I would call Wicker Park in the 90's hip. I would call parts of Logan Square and Pilsen currently hip. If Lincoln Park has ever been hip, it must have been before my time. I couldn't care less what is or isn't "hipster". I'm a social scientist, though, so I share your nerdy fascination with demographics. We just see it differently, apparently.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:25 AM

Look, I live in Norwood Park. It's a great neighborhood, but it's phenomenally boring. I want to live somewhere cool, that's all. Most anywhere is relatively cool.

But I don't want to compromise on safety. I want people who come to visit to feel safe walking to their car at midnight...

Was also thinking of just staying in Edison Park, but the commute blows.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:30 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,836 times
the OP is coming off a divorce and probably looking for action, Lincoln Park will be perfect

Old 06-13-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
the OP is coming off a divorce and probably looking for action, Lincoln Park will be perfect
Luckily we never legally married. Or had kids. Dodged some major bullets...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago