Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:29 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2H View Post
Look, I live in Norwood Park. It's a great neighborhood, but it's phenomenally boring. I want to live somewhere cool, that's all. Most anywhere is relatively cool.

But I don't want to compromise on safety. I want people who come to visit to feel safe walking to their car at midnight...

Was also thinking of just staying in Edison Park, but the commute blows.
I hate to say it, but the places that are lively are almost by definition not 100% safe.

Areas known for younger folks who have been out drinking have always attracted muggers.

You'll likely need to compromise on either the street parking or Red line proximity, but if Andersonville is too far and you're looking at proximity to the Red Line, just get a map and make sure you don't look at any places more than a few blocks away.

Parking is going to be awful almost anywhere, but the Fullerton, Belmont & Addison stops are in zoned parking areas, so you can always give your friends the permit stickers. I'd suggest by the Sheridan stop it's getting too dull for your needs, and I would not suggest the Wilson or Lawrence stop areas either.

What about the brown or blue line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 09:00 AM
S2H S2H started this thread

20 posts, read 35,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I hate to say it, but the places that are lively are almost by definition not 100% safe.

Areas known for younger folks who have been out drinking have always attracted muggers.

You'll likely need to compromise on either the street parking or Red line proximity, but if Andersonville is too far and you're looking at proximity to the Red Line, just get a map and make sure you don't look at any places more than a few blocks away.

Parking is going to be awful almost anywhere, but the Fullerton, Belmont & Addison stops are in zoned parking areas, so you can always give your friends the permit stickers. I'd suggest by the Sheridan stop it's getting too dull for your needs, and I would not suggest the Wilson or Lawrence stop areas either.

What about the brown or blue line?
True. When you hunt deer, you go where the deer are.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:47 PM
S2H S2H started this thread

20 posts, read 35,820 times
I should have listened to you all in the first place. I've been looking at neighborhoods for weeks. I think I've settled on somewhere along the brown line (Lincoln Square, North Center, Roscoe Village).

Lincoln Park... What was I thinking?

Old 07-04-2012, 10:57 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
No place is 100% safe, but the places that are lively are almost by definition safer than average; otherwise the crowds would stay away.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:00 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2H View Post
Lincoln Park... What was I thinking?
You were thinking perfectly reasonably, but people have a bit of an axe to grind regarding LP/LV. They swear it's not envy, but sometimes the resemblance is uncanny.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:54 AM

382 posts, read 825,065 times
You may want to consider River North. There are several buildings that you could afford, and over the past several years, River North has become a great place for 30 somethings to go out. The building next to Trump Tower, 405 North Wabash is right in the midst of everything and could be a good fit for you.

Lincoln Park is also very nice and I think you could find a nice 1 br in your budget.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:17 AM

10 posts, read 51,156 times
Lake View. West of the Red Line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago