Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 03:47 PM

30 posts, read 66,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Jandur, how on earth can you presume to speak for black people as a whole like that? Frankly, what glass_of_merlot is more true than what stated. You find a good sized population of black people who would rather live in Lakeview versus Englewood because, despite race, the people in Lakeview have more in common with them than the folks in Englewood.
It is more of a class issue. I am Black and I prefer to live around people who take care of their properties, raise their families, and have some common sense and class. I have seen ignorant and classless people from all backgrounds (money included). I don't care what color you are, just have some sense and love people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 10:03 PM

21 posts, read 27,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
Newsflash. People want to be segregated. Do black people want to live with a bunch of white people? Generally speaking no, they would rather be surrounded by other people like them.
From the studies I've read, most black people don't mind living with white or hispanic people as neighbors.

But many white people don't like having more than a handful of minorities living in their neighborhood. Especially working-class, "ethnic" whites.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:27 PM

575 posts, read 616,266 times
White people aren't comfortable living with black people. Sure some are ok but once the black population reaches a certain percentage, the whites are out of there. Don't believe it? Read the posts above.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:30 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket1 View Post
But many white people don't like having more than a handful of minorities living in their neighborhood. Especially working-class, "ethnic" whites.
This is true, they like to keep the neighborhood speaking whatever language they did back in the motherland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post
White people aren't comfortable living with black people. Sure some are ok but once the black population reaches a certain percentage, the whites are out of there. Don't believe it? Read the posts above.
There must be some radiation in the water in Hyde Park, Uptown, Evanston or Edgewater.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:42 AM

575 posts, read 616,266 times
Here's an interesting map. Type in Chicago, IL for the location.

We're the "Second City" (actually we're number 3 in population); but we're #1 in segregation

Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Old 06-19-2012, 12:58 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
I think it's pretty apparent I was speaking in generalizations. There are obviously other factors involved besides race, social status being the main thing. That being said, how often do we see AA posters here askign about Hyde Park? Fairly often.

I'll ask you this. Let's pretend LP is 100% white (big stretch right?) and Lakeview is 100% black. You're a black young professional, where do you live? It's not rocket science.
Way too simplistic. All things being equal other than race, I'd choose LP b/c of the park/zoo/beach, closer to downtown, further away from Wrigleyville.

Black people ask about Hyde Park here so often probably b/c Chicago has a rep for being crazy segregated and Hyde Park has a rep for being a nice spot for "buppies". Personally, I'm not a fan of Hyde Park. And yet, the vast majority of blacks I know don't live in Hyde Park or even on the South Side. Most live in Edgewater, Pilsen, Lakeview, Wicker Park, Humboldt Park, and other places where young, somewhat broke students hang out and live.

Going back to the original post, maybe one way to end segregation in Chicago is to dispel this idea that blacks can't or don't want to live on the North Side, that, despite our socioeconomic and education standing, we all want to be clustered in with similarly colored folks on the South and West side. Once you've achieved a certain amount of success (education or financial), you tend to stop caring if you stand out in a crowd. Contrary to your other post, there are plenty of black people who are perfectly okay with living around white people.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:00 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
ah, the insurance industry... the last one that can legally discriminate!
Ugh, I'd like to think we are above using the same tactics and mentality as insurance companies!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
The biggest obstacle in trying to bridge the segregation gap is NIMBY. Bankers who do not openly "redline" but won't lend in those same areas, and realtors who steer potential buyers away from NIMBY 'hoods. One way or the other, the buyer loses, and the status quo is protected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago