Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 05:20 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
I would keep the camera easily accessible, but not hanging around your neck at all times. Don't worry about looking strange photographing buildings, but there are the rare snatch and grabs and sometimes you'll get bugged by panhandlers more looking like a tourist. I've lived here for 20 years and I use my Nikon SLR to take photos all over the city all the time.

There are some great places for lunch downtown that are relatively cheap - XOCO and Slurping Turtle are both good bets. For bars you'll be close to the Gage, which is both a good restaurant and a great bar. The beer selection is excellent and the clientele is a mix of tourists and people there for business meetings, laid back in general. If you feel like getting a snack and some good beer it's right by you. Monk's is also pretty good. Kinda 80's divey, but friendly and with a good drink selection.

The Architectural boat tour is a must, and it's also worth taking any walking tours by the Architectural Foundation that look interesting as well. They also have a few free exhibits downtown that are worth checking out as well. The Cultural Center across the street from Millennium Park is free and worth checking out as well. The exhibits rotate pretty frequently, are generally solid, and the Tiffany Dome is worth checking out, the room it is in also offers a unique view of the park.

If you have time I'd try to get out of downtown to some neighborhoods at some point. Take the Blue Line or Red North towards anything that interests you.
I like the look of The Gage and Monk's and will probably check those two out if I have the time.

Would you suggest bringing a bookbag for my camera then? It's pretty large and usually I wear it around my neck but I don't want to seem like a complete magnet for crime (I dress kind of preppy and I'll be roaming around by myself). I'm usually good about not looking at maps and follow roads that have good vibes and decent foot activity. I'm used to panhandlers and I usually don't have any cash to offer up anyway. I have had instances where they try to convince you to go to an ATM to get a couple bucks out for them (do they think I'm stupid??) lol. Just mostly worried about the camera as it's worth at least a few hundred at this point.

I'll try to check out the cultural center since it is so close to the hotel and everything else we are planning on seeing. Like I said earlier, I hope to check out a lot of things and then come back to spend more time and let my girlfriend see some spots she missed.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 05:47 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,214,622 times
A book bag or something would be a good idea. I usually carry my camera in a computer/bike messenger type bag when I'm not using it and pull it out as needed. I make sure my bag is zipped up when I'm taking public transit. I do walk around quite a bit with it hanging around my neck while taking shots, but I'm always conscious of the fact that I've got $3,000 dangling around my neck and take precautions. Like I said, I've been doing this on a regular basis for 20 years all over the city without a single incident. If you're used to panhandlers they really aren't that bad - a quick "sorry" with a shrug and keep moving handles it.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:03 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
A bag is fine, but I wouldn't worry too much if you're walking around downtown during the day with a camera. There are thousands of tourists walking around where you'll be every day. You're certainly not going to be the only one with a map and a camera.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
A book bag or something would be a good idea. I usually carry my camera in a computer/bike messenger type bag when I'm not using it and pull it out as needed. I make sure my bag is zipped up when I'm taking public transit. I do walk around quite a bit with it hanging around my neck while taking shots, but I'm always conscious of the fact that I've got $3,000 dangling around my neck and take precautions. Like I said, I've been doing this on a regular basis for 20 years all over the city without a single incident. If you're used to panhandlers they really aren't that bad - a quick "sorry" with a shrug and keep moving handles it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
A bag is fine, but I wouldn't worry too much if you're walking around downtown during the day with a camera. There are thousands of tourists walking around where you'll be every day. You're certainly not going to be the only one with a map and a camera.
Okay, I probably won't bring a bag for it then. I'm on the fence about this because I would like to get a new bag if I did bring one for the camera.

Meh. Thanks though!

Old 06-04-2012, 10:19 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
I can always spot certain types of tourists in my 'hood, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. We aren't going to be mean to you unless you are impeding on something (i.e. one time i was on Michigan Ave walking and a group of 5 women walking in a row were crossing the street infront of me and the light changed as they were all looking up marveling at the buildings in the middle of the street. I couldn't get around them..cars started coming. They were not smart).

Anyway, most people around where i live at least wear decent shoes (not tennis/athletic shoes) and wear button up/polo or nice long sleeve t or sweater. I can spot a tourist by just looking at their shirt. Sad but true. That being said, I wouldn't worry about standing out as a tourist. There's tons of tourists downtown and most residents don't care. As far as the camera thing goes, I see it all the time and it doesn't mean you're a tourist. Residents do it too.

There are food places and clubs, and certain bars, which they are not going to be very happy if you come to their place with a Bass tshirt, shorts, and a baseball hat on. Some do not care, while others could care less.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I can always spot certain types of tourists in my 'hood, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. We aren't going to be mean to you unless you are impeding on something (i.e. one time i was on Michigan Ave walking and a group of 5 women walking in a row were crossing the street infront of me and the light changed as they were all looking up marveling at the buildings in the middle of the street. I couldn't get around them..cars started coming. They were not smart).

Anyway, most people around where i live at least wear decent shoes (not tennis/athletic shoes) and wear button up/polo or nice long sleeve t or sweater. I can spot a tourist by just looking at their shirt. Sad but true. That being said, I wouldn't worry about standing out as a tourist. There's tons of tourists downtown and most residents don't care. As far as the camera thing goes, I see it all the time and it doesn't mean you're a tourist. Residents do it too.

There are food places and clubs, and certain bars, which they are not going to be very happy if you come to their place with a Bass tshirt, shorts, and a baseball hat on. Some do not care, while others could care less.
Okay thanks for the heads up. I usually wear nice shorts (J. Crew or Banana Republic, etc), a polo and flip flops this time of year. I'm in the south though so I'm not sure if those would be appropriate.

If I was purposely going out for dinner or drinks I would wear nice jeans or khakis and a polo or button down.

I'm still deciding on the backpack thing. I don't want to just carry around the camera but I feel that I will want to take a lot of pics (so it would be going in and out of my bag constantly). Maybe I will avoid the whole thing and take my smaller basic digital camera.

The only shoes I really wear though are my Rainbows, Sperry's or nice dress shoes so I'm not sure what will fit in the most.

I'm making a big deal about it because I like to try to get into the vibe of towns I visit and blend with the locals (until I speak lol). I also didn't want to put out a "I'm a tourist and can be scammed or robbed" vibe. I guess I'm just thinking a lot into it because down here I look out of place with my $300 Raybans and fancy camera when I go to certain parts of downtown.

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate the input you have given.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:39 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,991,583 times
I think you are worrying way too much about what you're going to wear. Just don't be an idiot and you'll be fine.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:35 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,214,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Just don't be an idiot and you'll be fine.
Yeah, that pretty well sums it up.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
You'll be fine. Don't worry about it too much. I understand the blending in part..I do it all over the world, but in Chicago you'll be fine, even if you have a southern accent (southern accent doesn't mean you're a tourist if you think about it).

Old 06-05-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I think you are worrying way too much about what you're going to wear. Just don't be an idiot and you'll be fine.
Quote:
Yeah, that pretty well sums it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You'll be fine. Don't worry about it too much. I understand the blending in part..I do it all over the world, but in Chicago you'll be fine, even if you have a southern accent (southern accent doesn't mean you're a tourist if you think about it).
Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago