Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:48 AM

125 posts, read 195,891 times

Advertisements

I'm staying at The Hard Rock and have one full day to spend sightseeing. What attractions close to my hotel should I not miss? FYI, not a big partier so not looking for a busy night life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 AM

209 posts, read 593,008 times
Very close to your hotel:

1. Millennium Park
2. North Michigan Avenue (shopping)
3 Lakefront
4. Chicago Architectural Foundation architectural boat tour (departs at Michigan and Wacker)

15-20 minute walk from your hotel:
1. Willis Tower (aka Sears Tower) observatory

All of that would fill an entire day. If you're into art and don't mind spending half your day in a museum, the world-class Art Institute of Chicago is very close to the Hard Rock. There are other things to see downtown, but nothing else that I would call a must-see.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:01 PM

3,963 posts, read 6,910,322 times
Below are some Kevin mentioned, plus others.

1. Most visitors MUST see Millenium Park. I strongly suggest you see it. Its VERY close by.

2. I also recommend you visit Lincoln Park Zoo, if you like animals. It can be quite a hike from the hardrock on foot. A cab may cost $10 with the tip.

3. Willis Tower is less than a 15-20 minute walk in my opinion. I would say no more than 10 mins. I strongly recommend it for new comers as well.

4. The architecture tour I strongly recommend as well.

5. Navy Pier is very close to your hotel. It is a great place to take amazing skyline shots. You can also ride the ferris wheel up to the top and get an even better series of pictures.

6. If you are a shopper, magnificent mile is full of shopping you can do.

Hope you enjoy your stay!!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:07 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,748,118 times
Willis Tower is more than a mile from the Hard Rock, so while it's certainly walkable, it's by no means a 10-minute walk. Not unless you're doing that sweet power walking thing they did in the Olympics.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:12 PM

3,963 posts, read 6,910,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Willis Tower is more than a mile from the Hard Rock, so while it's certainly walkable, it's by no means a 10-minute walk. Not unless you're doing that sweet power walking thing they did in the Olympics.
Potato, potato. Its close. I walked from Public House to past Willis Tower in 10 minutes. I guess I am a fast walker?

Old 08-29-2012, 01:41 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,144,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian GP View Post
I'm staying at The Hard Rock and have one full day to spend sightseeing. What attractions close to my hotel should I not miss? FYI, not a big partier so not looking for a busy night life.
Rent a bike, ride the lakefront. There are bike shares at Ohio st beach.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:40 PM

125 posts, read 195,891 times
I'm a retired mailman from Canada, I just hope my wife can keep up.

These are all great ideas, thanks so much.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:35 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,551,397 times
I would also highly recommend a boat tour. They take you up and down the Chicago River and out onto Lake Michigan. Very cool. There are a bunch of different providers and the hotel can tell you where to get tickets, etc. For example >

http://www.mercuryskylinecruiseline.com

Chicago River and Lake Architecture Tours - Seadog Cruises Navy Pier

Wendella Boat Tour

Old 09-04-2012, 11:10 AM

358 posts, read 625,109 times
I too will be a first time visitor to Chicago in October. I will be staying at the Crowne Plaza Avenue Hotel. The CTA transit map is confusing to me. After reading several threads, it seems the best option from O'Hare is to take the blue line, then walk to the hotel, but I am still not sure which stop to take.

While in Chicago I plan to walk/shop Michigan Avenue, visit the John Hancock Observatory, do the Architecture River Tour, and see Millennium Park. Any ideas for nightlife?

Old 09-04-2012, 11:20 AM

15,323 posts, read 24,060,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
I too will be a first time visitor to Chicago in October. I will be staying at the Crowne Plaza Avenue Hotel. The CTA transit map is confusing to me. After reading several threads, it seems the best option from O'Hare is to take the blue line, then walk to the hotel, but I am still not sure which stop to take.
Crowne Plaza...if you take the train from O'Hare:

1) Ride to the Jackson stop for the Blue Line. Will take 40-50 minutes to get down there.
2) Make a transfer to the Red Line at Jackson. Transfering at this stop is easy, and free. When you get off the train, look for the signs that say "Red Line" and have some arrows pointing downwards. Downwards is some stairs. Basically take those stairs and you'll come to a pedestrian tunnel..just walk to the other side of the tunnel and up the stairs.
3) Get on the Red line in the direction of Howard.
4) Get off at the Chicago stop (just a few stops).
5) Walk to your destination.

If you have trouble doing the transfer thing or can't find anything, look for someone with a CTA uniform on, or look for someone who looks nice and is a local. They'll help you out. Also, if you aren't familiar with O'Hare, to get to the Trains, you're going to want to get down to the Baggage Claim/ground transportation area, and then you'll start to see signs that say "CTA Trains to the City." There's only a few signs for some reason in the levels above baggage claim/ground transportation.

--

As far as nightlife goes, what are you looking for? There are multiple areas for night life in Chicago and some are different than others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago