Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:27 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcallmeshirley View Post
I thought the Cubs did well this year!
The OP was asking about Chicago CLubs.

I know, the OP capitalized "clubs" which confused me too at first. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 09:33 AM

204 posts, read 761,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansagacity View Post
i just moved back to chicago from nyc and i find this posting to be completely false. nyc clubs are as "bridge and tunnel (suburban trash)" as chicago clubs, but worse. no one dances in new york and the house music scene there is disgusting; that's why i never went to clubs in nyc. also, new york has such a "dress down" mentality at clubs; they just do it with more of a hip flair! overall, i loved living in nyc, but hated the night life there, unless you were into 80s and electroclash, but even then, those scenes died in nyc
I had a great time going to such NYC clubs as Sound Factory, now called Pausha and Spirit. I love the music. People would dance their asses off there. I guess it just depends on what you like.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:02 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
I agree, for the home of house, chicago sure doesn't show it...
compared to san fran, nyc, miami, d.c., hell even charlotte ...the scenes there are better... lets not even get into european cities. for a city of its size the night club scene in chicago sucks.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:23 PM

204 posts, read 761,738 times
Rap has destroyed the club scene. I dont mind some rap and hip hop but can someone at least have a decent house club that is good size and a good crowd. The scene here is terrible. Hopefully it turns around sometime in the future. It has the potential.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:10 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
House is losing appeal in Europe too. It's not shiny and new anymore, and people are moving on.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:47 PM

248 posts, read 1,074,035 times
HAA HA....yeah Weed st is bad....worked there for a couple years.....

party on Division st or wrigleyville.....

Old 05-01-2008, 04:24 PM

569 posts, read 1,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vertgt View Post
HAA HA....yeah Weed st is bad....worked there for a couple years.....

party on Division st or wrigleyville.....
Depends on what your into. Really the older club kids grew up and the major venues that supported chicago style hard house like old crobar pushed out psycho ***** and teri bristol to change their image to keep up with the trend, there are really no major clubs that caters to the chicago house crowd... the trendy, hip hop oriented clubs have taken over... but... there is some luck to be had for the people who appreciate music that originated in chicago... vision still attracts major internation dj talent and they are a huge venue. Unfortunately it's the smaller venues like smartbar and sonoteque still have house nights with local djs.

Until club hip hop stops dominating the charts expect the major clubs to follow suit. It's cyclical, the chicago house scene will come back but hope that your not too old by then.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:59 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Ok, can someone explain the difference between house and techno? And how was "house" spawned in Chicago?

Old 05-01-2008, 05:04 PM

863 posts, read 2,785,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ok, can someone explain the difference between house and techno? And how was "house" spawned in Chicago?
Techno sucks and House is awesome. That's all I got.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:09 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
House is techno, but all techno isn't house. House is a genre of techno, like trance, deep house, drum and base, etc. It's more danceable and upbeat than most other forms of techno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago