Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 01:53 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times

Advertisements

If they can't hold these meetings without adversely affecting the citizenry then they should hold them in a fortress somewhere. The city exists for it's inhabitants and I don't give a damn whether they hold events like this here or not, to Hell with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 01:56 PM

185 posts, read 594,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
If they can't hold these meetings without adversely affecting the citizenry then they should hold them in a fortress somewhere. The city exists for it's inhabitants and I don't give a damn whether they hold events like this here or not, to Hell with them.
I have to agree with that. I read an article (I don't remember where) where someone suggested that if the United States wanted to host these sorts of meetings, they should do so someplace like Guam or the Mojave Desert. They could have their meeting in a place that could be secured and away from danger without disrupting an entire city and without threatening a population center with possible terrorism.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:57 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
All I'm saying is that these security measures are half-ass and still leave a lot of loopholes for people to do damage.

They're not protecting anyone from anything, and just hassling people trying to go about their business.
Its just security theatre.

Acting!

Old 05-11-2012, 02:09 PM

185 posts, read 594,874 times
I think they should have closed the Metra Electric lines going under McCormick Place. That would be a pain, but reasonable since that is where the action is.

But bringing water bottles into Ogilvie? How many delegates will be meeting there? And anyone who wanted to get water bottles into Ogilvie can still drive there with their trunk full of water bottles and distribute them outside to their comrades who took the train in.

It's not comparable to airport security. At an airport, NOBODY gets past point X with a water bottle. Here, they are only cutting water bottles off for one form of transport while leaving everything else wide open. It's not like cars are rare in the downtown area and if they stop the flow of water bottles via train, only the most sophisticated terror masterminds will be able to get them in.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:15 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
All I'm saying is that these security measures are half-ass and still leave a lot of loopholes for people to do damage.

They're not protecting anyone from anything, and just hassling people trying to go about their business.
You can say that about just about any real life security process

Old 05-11-2012, 02:27 PM

725 posts, read 3,014,631 times
Will the CTA trains (Red/Blue) be running regularly in/out of the loop?

Old 05-11-2012, 02:32 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Agree! This (formerly these) stupid summits have been adversely affecting me for months now! Glad I live way up here in Uptown and not downtown and will have zero reason to trek any further south than North Ave, though it's going to suck for my friends who work/live in that area.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:02 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
Well guise, I guess we have to have it. How else is Rahm supposed to pad his resume for his presidential run?

Old 05-12-2012, 04:15 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Well guise, I guess we have to have it. How else is Rahm supposed to pad his resume for his presidential run?

As each day draws closer to the summit I am reminded time and time again why they should hold the summit in a remote location.
The exposure is great but I do not enjoy watching others get anxiety about being downtown during this event.

I keep seeing people who are not working during the summit and would be curious to see a show of hands for those who are working downtown during the event.
The link is just a reference for past summits, I was surprised the summits were not in remote locations vs. populated areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nato_summit

Last edited by sunnyandcloudydays; 05-12-2012 at 04:27 AM..

Old 05-12-2012, 06:32 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
Don't forget how great this will be for Chicago though!

A few hundred million spent on security.
A few hundred million in lost productivity.
The delegates will be out spending...oh wait, everything will be closed and if they are so concerned about security they probably won't be wandering around the city anyway.
Well, at least people watching on tv will see our beautiful city of deserted streets and buildings covered in metal gates. That should get them to plan their summer vacation here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago