Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:44 PM

4,218 posts, read 4,741,886 times

Advertisements

I've been living here about 4 days now and am staying with friends around 35th and S King Dr (I believe this is considered 'Bronzeville'?)....

I know nothing about the area and I posted a separate thread about living near where I work (Northwestern-Downtown campus). I have a list of places to check out this weekend and they are kinda all over but some are in the South Loop area.

I did however run across a nice looking place on E 42nd at S King Dr...thoughts about this side of town??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 03:09 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
It's a little rough around the edges around there. The architecture is beautifu though. I would not have an issues living there but that's me.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:18 PM

Yea, my two friends I'm staying with are single males who work/travel a lot, and I'm a single female so safety is my #1 priority.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:20 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpoguy2 View Post
Personally, I would be okay with living at 35th and King, but not at 42nd and King, for crime/safety reasons. I would be skeptical of being south of 35th in Bronzeville, and would definitely not want to be south of Pershing. This may be of interest to you:

Community Areas - Grand Boulevard - Tracking homicides in Chicago - Tracking homicides in Chicago | RedeyeChicago.com

44 murders in 5 years? Could be worse.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I've been living here about 4 days now and am staying with friends around 35th and S King Dr (I believe this is considered 'Bronzeville'?)....

I know nothing about the area and I posted a separate thread about living near where I work (Northwestern-Downtown campus). I have a list of places to check out this weekend and they are kinda all over but some are in the South Loop area.

I did however run across a nice looking place on E 42nd at S King Dr...thoughts about this side of town??
There's a pretty big difference between 35th and 42nd. Neighborhood quality falls off pretty rapidly south of Pershing (39th).

Old 04-27-2012, 09:55 PM

483 posts, read 1,221,783 times
I have a friend who lives at 45th and King, I spend a lot of time there. Not once have I ever had a reason to fear for my safety, even walking from his place to the 43rd Green Line stop. King Drive is overall pretty quiet compared to other arterials in the city (maybe not so much on hot summer nights), and yes it is nicer around 35th (there's a Walgreens, strip mall, a chicken place and some other things on that corner)... however, I would have no qualms about living at 42nd & King, although I wouldn't be walking from the Green Line by myself at night. The houses along King and in that area in general are extremely beautiful, the majority of them are well-kept.

The only thing that kind of sucks is that just a block or two west of King along 43rd, it does get shady. Stays that way more or less all the way to the Ryan. East of King along 43rd to the lake is better, I'd go as far as to say "nice" but many on this forum wouldn't agree. Depends on your tolerance for living in the city, I guess.

The only "incidents" I've had in the area, was a bum asking for change by the 43rd train stop; a guy just standing outside of the food & liquor store under the train, on the south side of the street (white building) offered to sell me weed. And lastly, I was driving towards King on 46th at Vincennes, and a group of 3 guys threw GD down at me. So, the seedy elements are there, but I doubt you'd have any problems. Lots of new homes and rehabs in the area, seems to still be on the uprise.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:04 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
If you have a good paying position at Northwestern why wouldn't want to live closer to work?

Old 04-28-2012, 11:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you have a good paying position at Northwestern why wouldn't want to live closer to work?
Because it's expensive as hell up there? Because it's not his/her scene? Because they never said what the position pays, much less that it's "good paying"?

Old 04-29-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
The person above me summed it up pretty well...

I 'do' want to live closer to work. Streeterville is still an option (though not my #1 choice)...I'm just keeping all of my options open at the moment and wanted opinions on this side of town is all.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
Quote:
If you live close to work, how will you take a day off? Will co-workers feel free to just drop by your living space? Will you feel like you never leave work and never get a break?

Sometimes people forget those considerations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: