Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:39 PM

16 posts, read 61,129 times

Advertisements

Hi Friends,

My wife recently obtained a teaching job at the Kennedy-King College (6301 South Halsted Street). I've also interviewed for a job at the St. Bernard Hospital. We're contemplating moving in July and are looking for possible places to rent or even own, depending if I hear back from the hospital. We are looking for a safe place with minimum commute to work, accessible public transportation would be a plus. I see Halsted-Green runs through the area. Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and I would just like to add that we have not visited Chicago at all- I interviewed over the phone. We do plan to visit next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 08:45 PM

312 posts, read 713,034 times
If you can afford it, Hyde Park. The Kennedy-King/Englewood area is not a good place to rent or own right now, in my opinion.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:02 PM

We've looked into Hyde Park, but the commute seems long. My preference would be to take some sort of public transportation or bike to work. Could anyone give any insight about the surrounding area of the college and the hospital? How bad is it in terms of crime, etc.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:07 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Both Kennedy-King and St. Bernard are in the Englewood neighborhood of Chicago. Its probably one of the worst in terms of crime. Many, many murders within a few blocks of the two institutions over the past few years. (Community Areas - Englewood - Tracking homicides in Chicago - Tracking homicides in Chicago | RedeyeChicago.com).

Old 04-22-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecvolkman View Post
We've looked into Hyde Park, but the commute seems long. My preference would be to take some sort of public transportation or bike to work. Could anyone give any insight about the surrounding area of the college and the hospital? How bad is it in terms of crime, etc.
it is about as bad as it gets in terms of crime. Sorry, I see that someone has already pointed this out.

My wife works at Kennedy-King, and she doesn't go to her car after dark without security accompanying her.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:33 PM

98 posts, read 111,310 times
Crap neighborhood. Taking public transit there is putting your life in danger.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 PM

13 posts, read 43,143 times
Kennedy King College is in a high crime area. Hyde Park is a long commute from Kennedy King. I would suggest Bronzeville which is up and coming but can be expensive with rents ranging from $1,000-$1,500 depending on bedroom size. However, you will still have not so attractive areas near Bronzeville and Hyde Park depending on the block you turn down. I am 32yrs old and have lived in Chicago my entire life. I will tell you like this the rich is mixed in with the poor in Chicago, therefore, a good block may be safe but go three blocks in the opposite direction and it will look like a war zone especially when you move West and South sides of Chicago. For a safer area I suggest you move to the North Side of Chicago (Lakeview, Addison, Lincoln Park, and Rogers Park). If you must stay South go to Hyde Park or Bronzeville or anything near Lake and East. Public transportation is excellent in Chicago. There is a the Red, Green, Pink, and Orange line than runs 24 hours and will get you all over the city.

Do you have a car? If so The Dan Ryan Expressway to Lake Shore Expressway is a 15-45 minute commute from your wife's job to just about anywhere in the city. Shorter commute if you stay South, longer is you head North.

I assume you have no kids since you did not ask about schools. I would not allow my dog to go to any of the schools around Kennedy King unless it was Charter or Private. Where are you coming from? Funny my husband and kids will be relocating to Texas within 90 days and are also in the same boat you are in. Feel free to direct message me any other questions. Good Luck!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:37 PM

nvm

Old 04-22-2011, 10:53 PM

13 posts, read 43,143 times
One more thing avoid Craiglist and go to reputable sites or newspaper SunTimes,
Tribune and Reader. To many scams. If you do use Craiglist ask for proof the landlord owns the building. Anyone can have keys to these places these days.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:05 PM

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. Even though I would prefer public transit, my wife and I are quite open to commuting to work with a car. Drawing from the responses here and from the preliminary research I did, it seems we should avoid that area at all costs. I have heard a lot of positive feedback about Hyde Park; is that a relatively safe area? Also, is it a concern if we commute to Englewood? We're from Medford, Oregon, it is a small town with a prevalent bike culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago