Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 02:19 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times

Advertisements

Where can I find out how my alderman voted? I've been looking to see how he voted on the speed camera ordinance and I cannot find anything that shows who voted which way.

I'm tired of sitting by and saying nothing... it's time to start writing some letters and making some calls. But, before I write something nasty I want to confirm that my alderman is, in fact, a political rubber stamp first.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:27 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,195,685 times
I believe these links may give you the data. But it is a headache to read through. Must be a better source.

Chicago Politics* at the University of Illinois at Chicago Political Science Department

Also, you may want to consider just emailing or calling his office with your specific question.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:39 PM

Well, just in case anyone else wants to know, I was able to figure out who voted against the speed camera legislation by looking at the city clerk's tweets. These aldermen voted against the legislation, everyone else voted for it:

Waguespack
Reilly
Arena
Cappleman
Pawar
Osterman
Fioretti
Dowell
Burns
Hairston
Sawyer
Jackson
Chandler
Sposato

I'm happy that we have at least 14 aldermen that are more than a rubber stamp for the mayor. Sadly, my alderman is not among them...

As it turns out, my alderman couldn't even bother to show up for the meeting at all today. Awesome.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:22 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,163,893 times
After the new ward map was approved, my house went from Walter Burnett Jr's ward and became Bob Fioretti's 2nd ward. I was just reading about how upset Fioretti was at the new map, but I'm not sure why he's upset. He had the south loop and near west - now he has Uk Vilage and parts of western lincoln park. I guess it's a big change, but I don't understand why he's mad.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:28 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,195,685 times
I have no problem with speed cameras as long as they function properly. Great source of revenue for the city and our cops need to focus on real crime (so automating this function seems very logical).

Old 04-18-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
I have no problem with speed cameras as long as they function properly. Great source of revenue for the city and our cops need to focus on real crime (so automating this function seems very logical).
My biggest problem with the speed camera legislation isn't that I may get a ticket; it's the whole charade they did about how these cameras are "for the children." Seriously, give me a break. I know a revenue grab when I see one.

I also don't like that the organization that supplied the info to the city about how helpful these cameras will be is run by the company that makes the cameras. Mod Edit IMO, the city could probably do better. At the very least, let's call a spade a spade and admit that this is about revenue and nothing more.

There's also the fact that this legislation is extremely unpopular with most citizens of Chicago. So, if the aldermen represent us, why did they vote for it? If they're representing the people that voted them into office they should not have approved this until they were able to convince us it makes sense. I'm not completely closed off to the city finding new ways to generate revenue. We need it. But, I don't like the people that are supposedly representing me doing things without first showing why they are necessary/make sense.

Last edited by linicx; 05-08-2012 at 09:42 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 04:27 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
After the new ward map was approved, my house went from Walter Burnett Jr's ward and became Bob Fioretti's 2nd ward. I was just reading about how upset Fioretti was at the new map, but I'm not sure why he's upset. He had the south loop and near west - now he has Uk Vilage and parts of western lincoln park. I guess it's a big change, but I don't understand why he's mad.
Was trying to find the article, but the gist was that the 2nd ward stretches across 5 neighborhoods who all but have nothing in common with each other, and secondly, Bob Fioretti would have to move because he doesn't live in the ward anymore.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:28 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
Im with ya

Old 05-08-2012, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,594 times
ANY ALDERMAN THAT WASTEFULLLY VOTED FOR SPEED CAMERAS SHOULD BE FIRED .CROSSING GUARDS ,POLICE AND SPEED BUMPS ARE MORE THAN ENOUGH. Mod Edit Enforce the jay walking law .adults and children get into traffic while high or playing or to lazy to cross at the light.

Last edited by linicx; 05-08-2012 at 09:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago