Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 08:13 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle29 View Post
I don't know if I qualify for middle age yet (I'm 30) but I'm a single Black woman moving to Chicago this year and I started researching last year. From what I've read (and maybe I'm wrong so someone correct me) I heard Uptown wasn't that great of a place, lots of hidden crime. I was thinking of Uptown because it was so mixed with lots of races. I've always mostly lived in mixed racial neighborhoods so Uptown appealed to me but I've heard it's not that great.
Uptown is generally ok IMO, but most people on this site would warn you not to rent north of Montross--the area has plenty of characters; stray vagabonds and some gang activity.
Try looking at areas such as Hyde Park, Oak Park, and Rogers Park. Again people on this website will tell you that Rogers Park is dangerous . I suggest you visit the neighborhoods and see what fits your style and personality

Old 08-17-2008, 03:21 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,183 times
Quote:
I don't know if I qualify for middle age yet (I'm 30) but I'm a single Black woman moving to Chicago this year and I started researching last year. From what I've read (and maybe I'm wrong so someone correct me) I heard Uptown wasn't that great of a place, lots of hidden crime. I was thinking of Uptown because it was so mixed with lots of races. I've always mostly lived in mixed racial neighborhoods so Uptown appealed to me but I've heard it's not that great.
I live in Edgewater, not too far from Uptown. There's pockets of shadiness in Uptown, but it ain't too bad. It all depends on what you are used to, I think - have you spent most of your life in a small town, surburbia or a big city? If you're used to big-city life, Uptown's not too scary. There's some shabby parts, and some characters meandering about in places, but it doesn't really feel like a ghetto to me.

That said, there's definitely places in Uptown that are preferable to others. Buena Park, in southern Uptown near Lake View, is actually very, very nice. The area around Lawrence red line stop is fine, and if you go up near the border with Edgewater/Andersonville around Foster, that's OK, too. The main area to avoid is around Wilson, especially near Broadway, but even there, it's not like "I'm taking my life in my hands walking around here." You just gotta be on your toes.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:52 PM

47 posts, read 155,362 times
Thanks for the telling me more about Uptown. I have been going to Chicago like once a month on the weekends to see thing but I've been distracted and mostly just going for entertainment. Now I'm going to start actually looking at neighborhoods. I will go and walk around Uptown and Hyde Park to see how they are. Everyone is telling me to move to Hyde Park but I do want to be around some type of nightlife just in case I want to go out once in a while. I'm use to the city life.

Where is Oak Park?

Old 08-17-2008, 10:40 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquettePark View Post
...The dumbest kid, in St Ignacius, is still more intelligent than the smartest kid, in any Chicago Public High School...
Todd Stroger probably was the dumbest kid that ever went to St. Ignatius.

I think there are plenty of CPS products that are smarter than him.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 08-17-2008 at 10:55 PM..

Old 08-18-2008, 08:04 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
Quote:
Where is Oak Park?

Near west suburb...about 20min from the loop if you take the 'L'

Old 08-31-2008, 10:55 AM

66 posts, read 245,943 times
Quote:
First of all, NO! You are not middle-aged. I'm 47, and I am! :-) Second, that doesn't answer a lot of my questions, but I hope you find answers to yours!

Old 09-05-2008, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,138 times
Default Chi

Screw it, live on the Northside. Chicago has a lot of "Chicago snobs"...I'm from there but after having lived in LA for a couple years (currently reside), I have better outside perspective on this ...for instance, Chicagoans love subtly boasting how well they know the city..if you say "Oh last night I went out to this place on Belmont..." they'll chime in robotically "Okay you were at 3200 north..." It's pretty annoying. This crosses over to neighborhood knowledge, too, especially claims of hidden gems like restaurants et al in ****ty areas. Lincoln Park yuppies are no doubt responsible for this...the "bubble world" picture someone else painted is very accurate...so it's all just a lame ego response to this.

You can be "cultured" and live in the northside as well...Chicago's great b/c its so small relative to any other major city so you can get anywhere quickly. This might influence you as well:

[url=http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=104675750739697697598. 00044e3957099c263f47c&ll=41.79384,-87.61734&spn=0.457659,0.933838&z=10]Google Maps[/url]

Old 09-05-2008, 05:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Uh, I have never had anyone robotically chime in with "Okay you were at 3200 North" or whatever street number. And I don't know what goes on in L.A., but in most places I've lived in, having knowledge of your surroundings beyond your own front door is considered a good thing rather than something to be mocked.

Speaking of which, it's kind of funny how you mock people for having knowledge of neighborhoods other than their own but then talk about living in a bubble world. So, which exactly is it? Or does everything Chicagoans do deserve derision in your book?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 5,118 times
Sorry to sound so schizophrenic guys, but we got another roommate and a slightly higher budget. Right now we're gonna look at a bunch of apartments on/off Chicago and Damen. Any thoughts on that intersection/neighborhood?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:09 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Good neighborhood, lots to do, as a rule north of Chicago is better than south, though a couple blocks won't make an extraordinary difference, and don't go west of Western.

South of Chicago is not Ukrainian Village though many landlords and realtors like to call it that -- it's just West Town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago