Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 12:48 PM

5 posts, read 16,285 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Chicago in a couple of weeks, and just recently I looked at an apartment in Rogers Park. It was close to Jarvis Avenue, and I personally thought the street looked nice, but I'm just wondering about the area and if it is safe, and so on.

Yes, I am a gay male and it would be me and my partner living there, but my concern is that would we get harassed all the time walking down the street, bullied, or even beaten up?

I just want to know that we are in a safe area and can feel comfortable walking down the streets.

Any information would help, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 12:51 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times
Depends on where on Jarvis you're at. You're more likely to be a target of crime for 'just because' versus your sexuality or lifestyle choices. Rogers Park is a mixed bag. I suggest putting the address into the CLEARmap system and see what comes up.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 PM

It's W Jarivs Avenue, and is by Jarvis Beach Park. I'm not too sure about the area near there.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:56 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,570 times
you'll be fine, plenty of older gays live in E. Rogers Park as well.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:00 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
you'll be fine, plenty of older gays live in E. Rogers Park as well.
This is true.

It also seems like the closer you are to Sheridan, the less likely you are to run into trouble. Those super tall high rises aren't as conducive to 'hanging out on the porch' where trouble may arise.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:06 PM

Yeah, I mean I thought the apartment looked nice and everything, it was right on Jarivs Beach Park and while we were waiting we asked a guy walking his dogs and he said that the area was nice, he liked it. Which is all good things, but our concern is just our safety. Because you hear more and more of hate crime on gays, which is sad, and I don't want that to happen to either of us.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:30 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccainxo View Post
Yeah, I mean I thought the apartment looked nice and everything, it was right on Jarivs Beach Park and while we were waiting we asked a guy walking his dogs and he said that the area was nice, he liked it. Which is all good things, but our concern is just our safety. Because you hear more and more of hate crime on gays, which is sad, and I don't want that to happen to either of us.
The crime in RP is largely west of where you are looking and overwhelmingly gang on gang. I haven't heard of any gay bashing issues and the area in general has definite diverse and liberal bent, probably top 3 in the city as far as that goes.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:40 PM

22 posts, read 108,740 times
We live in Rogers Park and many of our neighbors are gay. I don't think there are any issues about RP being gay-friendly. The main concern is gang activity. There are a few hot spots to avoid: the area around the Howard L stop and north of Howard and the area around Clark and Pratt/Clark and Ashland. These are gang areas. You should also be careful around the other L stops just as you should anywhere in the city.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:28 PM

725 posts, read 3,014,202 times
I used to live in RP, right off the Morse stop (one stop away from Jarvis). Rogers Park is pretty much the 3rd gayest neighborhood in the city, so you shouldn't worry about being harassed. I wouldn't generalize it as "old gays" but more so of "couply gays". The Glenwood corridor (between Morse and Greenleaf) actually have a few gay bars, LGBT friendly restaurants, seasonal Farmers Market on Sundays, neighborhood festivals and even a mini "Pride" street festival they started last year.

That being said, I think the closer you are to Sheridan or the train station you should be okay. I've never once felt threatened in my neighborhood, even though I knew that there was certainly undesirable activity going on in some corners. One stop away (from Jarvis) at Howard they have a shopping center (LA Fitness, Dominicks grocery, Marshalls, Anna's Linens, UPS Store, etc) which I would go to a few times a week and never felt uneasy. However, common sense says not to hang around there at wee hours.

Welcome to Chicago.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:48 PM

I drove around the area but i'm not familiar with any part of it because i'm from seven hours south, so the only other time I have been to chicago was with family. The apartment complex we looked at is On W jarvis avenue, and the realtor said the train station was a block away, so that being said i'm in the nice part?

I'm just paranoid, I've delt with harrassment with people where i'm from so i've always been kind of sketchy about areas i'm not familar with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago