Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:36 AM

71 posts, read 92,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by themag62 View Post
I can't think of a single neighborhood in Chicago where I would say "Oh definitely don't go there, gays are bashed there". You're going to like it here.
Obviously you don't get out to the 10th Ward very often. Gay friendly - NOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 08:26 AM

400 posts, read 957,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Daley View Post
You won't be bothered for being gay there. It is a very liberal neighborhood for the most part but there are areas of it that are seedy and crime prone. I would avoid places more than a block west of Sheridan Rd until you cross Clark St on the west. Especially places like Lunt and Morse Ave. Some people say the area is getting better and admittedly I have not lived there for a long time but when I did live there it was really downhill after the Jewel closed on Morse Ave. The whole area was gang infested and burglaries, robberies and car break ins were a nightly thing. And there was a killing on Glenwood too. I would advise you to check closely or consider Edgewater/Loyola instead.
What I bolded is wrong. If you havent been around RP for awhile then you might think this. But its wrong. Especially Morse and Lunt have been much better of late. Out of date advice. I know because I live there. So please dont give advice if you dont know what you are talking about.

Mayne Stage, Chuckies, Glenwood Bar, Sidecar Bar, Pillars Social Club, Aqua Bar.... Have you heard of these places or gone there?
Did you know that JB albertos now has granite counter tops and two warmers holding slices now, and you can get pepperoni slices now?

You are talking about Jewel, yes when that left and Family Dollar opened that was not a happy day for Morse, but many things have changed in Morse's favor since then.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccainxo View Post
I drove around the area but i'm not familiar with any part of it because i'm from seven hours south, so the only other time I have been to chicago was with family. The apartment complex we looked at is On W jarvis avenue, and the realtor said the train station was a block away, so that being said i'm in the nice part?

I'm just paranoid, I've delt with harrassment with people where i'm from so i've always been kind of sketchy about areas i'm not familar with.

That area is doing just fine. J Pritzker is investing around there and around RP in general. He is fixing up the Farcroft (tallest building in RP) on Fargo by the lake and the Frank Lloyd Wright on Sheridan (Emil Bach house).
The area around Jarvis okay. Yes Howard is still a bit scary. Good news is its getting a coffeeshop finally (SOL). So Howard is moving in the right direction.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
What I bolded is wrong. If you havent been around RP for awhile then you might think this. But its wrong. Especially Morse and Lunt have been much better of late. Out of date advice. I know because I live there. So please dont give advice if you dont know what you are talking about.

Mayne Stage, Chuckies, Glenwood Bar, Sidecar Bar, Pillars Social Club, Aqua Bar.... Have you heard of these places or gone there?
Did you know that JB albertos now has granite counter tops and two warmers holding slices now, and you can get pepperoni slices now?

You are talking about Jewel, yes when that left and Family Dollar opened that was not a happy day for Morse, but many things have changed in Morse's favor since then.
I will take your word for it. It was not a "ghetto" when I was there but it was bad. Gangs around the Morse L, gangs in the laundry parking lot opposite JR's Pizza, gangs so bad around the Lunt Ave L exit that the CTA closed it off and the city ordered the phones removed from it. A stabbimg in front of the liquor store on Morse and a murder on Glenwood by Lunt. So I am glad things are better there now days. It was a decent area otherwise and close enough to Northwestern and Loyola.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I will take your word for it. It was not a "ghetto" when I was there but it was bad. Gangs around the Morse L, gangs in the laundry parking lot opposite JR's Pizza, gangs so bad around the Lunt Ave L exit that the CTA closed it off and the city ordered the phones removed from it. A stabbimg in front of the liquor store on Morse and a murder on Glenwood by Lunt. So I am glad things are better there now days. It was a decent area otherwise and close enough to Northwestern and Loyola.
Its not perfect. I dont tolerate the gangs presence anywhere near me
(Wayne and Morse), Mayne Stage has had a huge impact as well as the conversion of the four plus one at Morse and Lunt and Glenwood east of the tracks. Come by and check it out. It sounds like you would be pleasantly surprised. And Its JB's (Albertos), they have a new truck out front too. Pretty COOL!!! I dont tolerate the gangs hanging out at the laundrymat either. Morse Streetscape helped out a whole lot too.

The Lunt EL exit/entrance is open.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:47 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,682 times
If a budget is given, there maybe some more suggestions for areas that would fit your criteria.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:56 AM

183 posts, read 338,769 times
Quote:
Obviously you don't get out to the 10th Ward very often. Gay friendly - NOT!
I was hoping that if there gay unfriendly nabes someone would speak up. No, I don't get out to the 10th ward. Where is it?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:08 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themag62 View Post
I was hoping that if there gay unfriendly nabes someone would speak up. No, I don't get out to the 10th ward. Where is it?

Far SE side.

And on that note, it absolutely blows my mind that there are areas of this city to which I've never been. The one time that my wife and I took LSD south + Jeffery to get to the Skyway, it absolutely blew my mind; I kept on commenting to my wife that I can't believe we;re still in Chicago.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Far SE side.

And on that note, it absolutely blows my mind that there are areas of this city to which I've never been. The one time that my wife and I took LSD south + Jeffery to get to the Skyway, it absolutely blew my mind; I kept on commenting to my wife that I can't believe we;re still in Chicago.
If you ain't been to the 10th Ward Hegewish, you ain't missed nothing you wanna see. And you don't know when you are in Chicago or Indiana because the air is so bad over there you can't see anything anyway!

Old 02-24-2012, 01:09 PM

725 posts, read 3,013,600 times
This might also calm OP's nerves: Chicago's Gay North - redeyechicago.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago