Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 03:42 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times

Advertisements

Why would you even care if its not popular
If the umbrealla keeps you dry then use the umbrella
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:29 AM

815 posts, read 1,858,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
I'd say the most trying aspect of Chicago's winters is how sometimes we can get stuck in a cold pattern for a period of time of 2-3 weeks. For example, in 2009, we did not get above 30 from Jan. 2-21. Mixed in there were four below-0 nights. It is well publicized that the weather can change quite rapidly in the Midwest.. and that is true. But, the weather can also go a long time without changing, like the period in late September where it rained pretty much every day, and the prolonged hot summer days in July. Having lived in IL/IN/WI since 1993, I definitely know how to deal with the cold winters, and you will learn so too. But, psychologically, it is these periods that tend to wear on people.
I have seen it go 6 weeks without breaking 32. I don't think summer will phase the OP. Chicago summers are literally a breeze compared to the South.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:50 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
I grew up in Illinois, lived in VA and NC for ten years as an adult, and have been back in Illinois since the late 1980s so I've lived in both worlds. The following are my personal observations ... others may say it's not that bad, but it's all a matter of perception.

The worst part of the winter climatologically is mid January through mid February. It's dark and cold and often snowy and the snow gets crusty and dirty as it ages so it's not the pure white stuff you see in the movies. The good news is, a six-inch snowfall here is no big deal since they're so good at keeping the roads clear. The bad news is, the cold and snow can drive you to the point of despair by the end of January and just when you think you can't take it any more, the weather will improve. You really appreciate the spring when it comes in northern Illinois.

Essential cold weather gear for me includes: sweaters and a variety of coats for all kinds of weather; hiking boots for when it's snow; YakTrax to attach to my shoes when it's icy; a shovel and de-icer for my car's trunk; several hats of varying thickness; earmuffs; a skiing facemask good to -20F; several pairs of gloves of various thickness, and glove liners. Also, long underwear for layering when it's below zero. You'll see people running around without hats and gloves in the coldest weather, and they're (my opinion) macho idiots. You lose a lot of heat through the top of your head, and when it's below zero the cold can be dangerous.

I find as I get older that my hands are particularly susceptible to the cold ... I even have cheap gloves I've cut the fingers off to wear around the house. The biggest things to keep in mind are: get the right clothing, layer, and wear appropriate clothes rather than trying to tough it out.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I grew up in Illinois, lived in VA and NC for ten years as an adult, and have been back in Illinois since the late 1980s so I've lived in both worlds. The following are my personal observations ... others may say it's not that bad, but it's all a matter of perception.

The worst part of the winter climatologically is mid January through mid February. It's dark and cold and often snowy and the snow gets crusty and dirty as it ages so it's not the pure white stuff you see in the movies. The good news is, a six-inch snowfall here is no big deal since they're so good at keeping the roads clear. The bad news is, the cold and snow can drive you to the point of despair by the end of January and just when you think you can't take it any more, the weather will improve. You really appreciate the spring when it comes in northern Illinois.

Essential cold weather gear for me includes: sweaters and a variety of coats for all kinds of weather; hiking boots for when it's snow; YakTrax to attach to my shoes when it's icy; a shovel and de-icer for my car's trunk; several hats of varying thickness; earmuffs; a skiing facemask good to -20F; several pairs of gloves of various thickness, and glove liners. Also, long underwear for layering when it's below zero. You'll see people running around without hats and gloves in the coldest weather, and they're (my opinion) macho idiots. You lose a lot of heat through the top of your head, and when it's below zero the cold can be dangerous.

I find as I get older that my hands are particularly susceptible to the cold ... I even have cheap gloves I've cut the fingers off to wear around the house. The biggest things to keep in mind are: get the right clothing, layer, and wear appropriate clothes rather than trying to tough it out.
Agree with your comments about varying thickness of gloves and hats.
Too thick of gloves and its hard to move your fingers and too thin in really cold weather your hands get cold easily.

I believe someone brought up a longer coat for the ladies and I believe a coat that covers your rear is important for the guys.!

Staying dry is so important and I usually keep a dry pair of gloves and socks in my brief case nothing worse than having wet feet all day.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:47 AM

4 posts, read 4,984 times
Hello everybody! I'm from Greece and I would like some help from you concerning the Chicago winter.
I will be in Chicago (Evanston) from December 14 to January 8.I have been told that it will be very cold,that the temperature will be from -10 to -20 celcius.(14 to -4 fahrenheit).Is it true?
I am thinking also to buy a suitable winter jacket to cope up with such low temperatures since in Greece rarely drops down to 32 fahrenheit...I am thinking to buy something like this:http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...l?cm_vc=Search from thenorthface.Is it ok ? Too warm? Not so warm? I would be thrilled if you help me people! And now a more girlie-like question: I am 21 going to visit my boyfriend who studies/works here.So I would like to be elegant.My worry is that these jackets cannot be worn with a dress or heels.So is it ok? I mean what Chicago girls wear? (To be clear I'm not a bimbo!I prefer to wear the bear-like jacket looking ridicullus but warm than the oposite! I'm just asking if there is something I have not seen) In other words is the triclimate jacket my only option to be warm?
And is it true that this winter is going to be extra cold?

Thank you in forward for your time reading this!

Old 11-06-2011, 08:04 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
December in Chicago - Month by Month Guide to Chicago - December

Quote:
December Chicago Weather

Average High Temperature: 35°F (2°C)
Average Low Temperature: 21°F (-6°C)
Average Precipitation: 2.4"
Average Snowfall: 8.98"

Chicago weather in December can vary wildly from mildly cold to downright brutal. Layers are key, and a warm jacket is a must. Here are some other important things to know when traveling to Chicago in December.
Quote:
January Chicago Weather

Average High Temperature: 30°F (-1°C)
Average Low Temperature: 15°F (-9°C)
Average Precipitation: 1.8"
Average Snowfall: 10.99"

Chicago weather in January is definitely on the frigid side, with the daily temps rarely go above the freezing mark. Many longtime Chicago residents can recount many times the wind chill in January has dipped well below zero (the record being minus 93 degrees), so warm coats and boots more certainly need to make their way to your suitcase. Here are some other important things to know when traveling to Chicago in January.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:46 AM

968 posts, read 2,665,991 times
For Chicago winters, don't overlook how dry the air can get indoors ..the outside air has less moisture to begin with in the coldest months, and during cold spells the air is as 'dry' as that in Yuma .. add indoor heating to that , and .. even if you're not susceptible to dry skin , remember the moisturizer and chap stick ..

Oh, and if you get a pair of Yax Trax , just know that they have the entirely opposite effect when worn indoors on non-carpeted surfaces ..Don't ask how I know that

Old 11-06-2011, 10:07 AM

-93 Degrees
I dont think thats accurate.

Not sure where you rad that stat but it is way off base.

-27 Degrees is the actual record
Source Wikipedia

Old 11-06-2011, 12:47 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
-93 Degrees
I dont think thats accurate.

Not sure where you read that stat but it is way off base.

-27 Degrees is the actual record
Source Wikipedia
The -93 was a Wind chill not an actual temp. I was there. I remember it well.
Although I did think it was -80, not -93. I was in Evanston when that happened. I was right too.

Chicagos Official Records

Wind (in mph)

Highest Gust……………………………….. 87 on February 12, 1894
Coldest Wind Chill…..….…………………. -82 on December 24, 1983

Old 11-06-2011, 02:02 PM

Cold is cold at -27 or a wind chill of -93.

If memory serves correct i believe the very next year we had like 70 or 80 degree temps on christmas.

It is always amazing the wild swings in the Chicago area and that winter bitter cold.

Funny thing is I remember ice forming inside the windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago