Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 03:45 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times

Advertisements

High schoolers just ditch and stay home like I used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 03:57 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Here's a new wrinkle, we'll see if it's smoke or if they actually follow through:

Failure to shovel snow from your sidewalk could prove costly - Chicago Sun-Times

The Blackberry part you mean?

Old 10-27-2011, 04:44 PM

410 posts, read 491,869 times
Chicago winters are bearable depending on your tolerance level of cold and wind. Like others stated buy quality winter wear.

My must have accessories:
snow boots
winter coat (that reaches the knee for women)
mittens that convert to gloves
wool scarf
winter hat (I can never understand how some don't cover their heads - forget preserving your hair-do, go for warmth)
ear muffs (if you don't wear winter hats)
wool sweaters (layering is key)
wool socks
Under Armour

Old 10-28-2011, 03:48 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,486 times
Here's a video of a New York City snowstorm. I'm posting it to show you how people generally dress in the strong snow and winds. Notice, people are still out and about and going about their daily lives. Yes this is a NYC video, however Chicago, Cleveland, Toronto and all the other major cities get these types of storms occasionally. I actually like the snow and this video lol.

I think the winter will be a fun change for you.

Video:

Old 10-28-2011, 10:00 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
The only times it really impacts things more than making you roll your eyes at rush hour is if we get more than 6" or so in one storm. That happens maybe 2-4 times a winter. You can usually count on one hand how many times you actually need to shovel or pull out the snowblower.
Say what now? You're saying Chicago only gets accumulating snow 5 or fewer times per season?

Are you kidding me?!?

I'm sure the OP is going to college so she will never have to shovel. But a homeowner had best be prepared to shovel many more than 5 times per winter season.

Unless you're the guy that never shovels his walk...

Old 10-29-2011, 01:20 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I've never shoveled a sidewalk in Chicago. But I've been fastidious about paying someone else to do it.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:08 PM

332 posts, read 525,092 times
Quote:
Say what now? You're saying Chicago only gets accumulating snow 5 or fewer times per season?

Are you kidding me?!?

I'm sure the OP is going to college so she will never have to shovel. But a homeowner had best be prepared to shovel many more than 5 times per winter season.

Chicago averages about 40-50 inches/yr. Spread out mostly from Thanksgiving to St. Patrick's day. If you have two 10-inch snowstorms in a winter, the most of the rest of the time it's these little snow an inch or two overnight, three days later it snows 3 inches. And those 3-inch dustings don't really affect much of anything, but throughout a winter they add up on the total seasonal snowfall.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:27 PM

126 posts, read 207,961 times
Default From someone who spent most of her life in the region...

a few things to ponder.

1. You will get caught unprepared and be uncomfortable a few times. This is how you figure out what you need to be comfortable.

2. As long as you're not too far out of line (sandals when there's 3" of snow, or T-shirt and light jacket when it's -20 degrees) you will survive being uncomfortable.

3. You will find pretty early that there is one thing that makes you miserable. Focus most of your energy on that one thing. (For me it's my feet. If my feet are cold and wet, I'm not happy no matter what the rest of me is doing.)

4. Layers are your friend. But make sure, if you're going to be spending time inside, that the bottom layer is something you can be decent wearing in public. Some buildings have heat that is hard to regulate, and they may be uncomfortably warm.

4a. Try not to get over heated. You'll probably feel just as miserable as if you're too cold, and if you perspire and your clothes get a bit damp, you'll freeze when you face the cold.

5. Frostbite of the ears really blows, and it happens faster than you think.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:05 PM

3 posts, read 5,729 times
Thank you so much to everyone that replied! I got very helpful tips. It actually doesn't seem bad and I am kinda excited to experience the winters there. Again, thank you!!

Old 10-30-2011, 09:17 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:

Are you kidding me?!?

Exactly, Chicago gets LOTS of the 2" snowfalls types. Just less of the 1 foot type snows. Those 2" snowfalls if not scraped off can quickly melt a bit during the day then turn into a nasty snow/ice mix making the slip and slide runs on the sidewalks. Maybe it is OK in the suburbs not to shovel when it is like that, but not in the city... Please clean the sidewalk this winter folks, lots of people walk on them. Though last winter was a special case and got slammed with the blizzard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandaddy View Post
Chicago averages about 40-50 inches/yr. Spread out mostly from Thanksgiving to St. Patrick's day. If you have two 10-inch snowstorms in a winter, the most of the rest of the time it's these little snow an inch or two overnight, three days later it snows 3 inches. And those 3-inch dustings don't really affect much of anything, but throughout a winter they add up on the total seasonal snowfall.
They effect the sidewalks... While he is right you probably don't need the snowblower much to clear out a big snow...Again there are lots of the 2" snowfall days which if not scraped off will make it challenging for pedestrians after it sits around for awhile.

I normally wear boots walking around everywhere then change into dress shoes at the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago