Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 11:50 PM

111 posts, read 339,123 times

Advertisements

My family's ancestral home was near Garfield Blvd. and Halsted St. They moved in there at about the turn of the 19th to 20th century and were in the old Visitation parish. They moved in the 1970s. The address was 5746 South Peoria Street.
If anyone has the time, would you please bring me up to date on the recent history of the area. I have never lived in Chicago, only visited. We lived in Phoenix, and now I live in San Diego.
I remember it from visits when I was quite young in the 1940s and 50s and 60s, especially the big, old trollley on Halsted.
Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 12:13 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,243,287 times
That would be Englewood, one of the most economically distressed and crime-ridden neighborhoods in the city, if not the country. While it's still a fairly densely populated area, abandonment and disinvestment are still the two most prominent trends. Lots of vacant lots around there, and quite a few lots that would be better off vacant given what's left of the buildings sitting on them. To the extent that Englewood's condition has improved at all, it has done so primarily because the crack epidemic finally died down. Throughout much of the 90s Englewood was was a full-time killing zone. Now it's calmed down quite a bit and is merely a part-time killing zone.

The timing of your inquiry is quite convenient. In another thread we posted links to a recently-written two-part article in a local independent paper about the transition that took place in that area almost overnight in the early 1970s. The back-story actually takes place in the adjacent Back of the Yards neighborhood but is only 5 blocks away from where your forbears lived.

The price of intolerance, part 1 | Feature | Chicago Reader

The price of intolerance, part 2 | Feature | Chicago Reader

Old 09-14-2011, 08:10 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,193,839 times
They knocked down the parsonage at Visitation, but have kept the Our Lady of Fatima shrine, although they moved it closer to the church. I guess such a shrine is appropriate at a church called 'Visitation'! The parish membership has gone from predominantly white, to black to Hispanic.

The church now has a heavy community outreach with kids' programs, a legal clinic and a food pantry. I think the parish may have been consolidated with St. Basil's, which is still running a grammar school.

There's also a large chemical dependency residential program at 59th and Wood, which is not too far from there. If you get a DUI, you can expect to visit that facility, at least for out-patient evaluation.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:48 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,179,560 times
No more trolleys in Chicago, too.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:47 PM

111 posts, read 339,123 times
Default Thank you

I'd like to thank all of you for the information on the old neighborhood. It has really made our day. Best of everything always.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:57 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,925,737 times
All these negatives acknowledged, there are some beautiful homes in the area, particularly east (along Michigan, King Drive, etc.) that will be ripe for rehabbing or infill development in the next real estate boom. Whenever that is.

I've met a black woman who is putting hundreds of thousands into a renovation at 53rd and Michigan. Just sayin'.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:28 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,193,839 times
I noticed that the restaurant is still at Garfield and Halsted but is temporarily shut for repair.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago