Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:11 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,876,727 times

Advertisements

As a new citizen of the city, I'm a tad confused about neighborhoods. I have looked at neighborhood maps and I have not seen two that are the same.

Is the whole "neighborhood" aspect of Chicago one of subjectivity? That is, "Well, I live here, and I say I'm from X even though the maps say otherwise".

Or is it very objective? That is, "Neighborhood 1 is bound by streets A,B,C, and D".

Or both? I'm just looking for a little insight and some friendly discourse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 07:28 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,976,839 times
There is an official city of chicago map of neighborhoods. Problem is, over the years, there have been parts of the official neighborhoods that have aquired different names mostly as they have become popular. As far as I know this is the official map. You will note there is no area such as Boystown because its a part of lakeview. Sometimes people claim they live in "West Bucktown" and others say there is no such thing....its an invention of realtors trying to cash in on Bucktown's popularity.
http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...ods_poster.pdf

Old 09-01-2011, 08:28 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,436,532 times
The map Toria provides is "official" insomuch as it's provided by the City of Chicago. But unlike the 77 designated Community Areas, there are no fixed, official boundaries for named neighborhoods. For many neighborhoods there is broad consensus about boundaries, other times borders are nebulous, and other times still borders or even neighborhood names are hotly contested (is there such a thing as Heart of Italy? The city and some businesses in the disputed area say "yes" while others will call you a jerk just for suggesting it). Sometimes you'll even encounter a neighborhood within a neighborhood, such as Wrigleyville or Boystown within Lakeview. Sometimes a neighborhood takes on the name of the official community area where it's located even though the "neighborhood" name does not refer to the entire community area, such as Lincoln Square. On the other side of that coin, a neighborhood name sometimes refers to the whole community area and even an adjacent community area -- for instance Bridgeport, which in colloquial terms includes the Community areas of both Bridgeport and Armour Square. It will all get less confusing the longer you live here, but many aspects of it will always remain at least somewhat confusing.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
...its an invention of realtors trying to cash in on Bucktown's popularity.
http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...ods_poster.pdf

Ahh... I see. So is this an example of making "something out of nothing"?

"It's not just Bucktown! It's Bucktown Heights!"

"It's not just Bucktown! It's Upper Bucktown!"

So on and so forth? Is that what's going to happen eventually?

Old 09-02-2011, 03:00 AM

Drover,

From what you're saying it seems like it's a little of column A and a little of column B. It's really a subjective and objective thing.

And it's weird for me hearing people talk about these neightborhoods all the time because where I came from, there were different areas of the city, but rarely did people use the "neighborhood name" to identify where they came from/live. A handful of areas had names that people recognized and knew the boundries to, but for the most part knowing where you lived meant knowing the closest major intersection.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Ahh... I see. So is this an example of making "something out of nothing"?

"It's not just Bucktown! It's Bucktown Heights!"

"It's not just Bucktown! It's Upper Bucktown!"

So on and so forth? Is that what's going to happen eventually?
More often what happens is that a realtor, apartment finder/manager, or developer will try to expand the boundaries of a desireable neighborhood so that the property they're trying to rent or sell to you seems more appealing than it is, especially if the property is in a bordering not-so-desirable neighborhood. For instance "West Wicker Park" in a rental ad often really means "Humboldt Park," a good chunk of which is a gang war zone. Even if the eastern sliver of Humboldt Park is an OK neighborhood (and for the most part it is), Wicker Park is a much easier sell than Humboldt Park.

Also, sometimes neighborhood names or boundaries change because the composition of the neighborhood has changed. When I lived in Andersonville 12 years ago, the accepted northern border was Bryn Mawr and the accepted southern border was Foster, though a handful of Clark Street businesses (such as Hopleaf) were considered honorary Andersonville institutions. Nowadays the self-identified Andersonville neighborhood extends south almost all the way to Lawrence and west all the way up to Ridge. Why the difference? Because the gentrified business district that came to define Andersonville and was once confined to the stretch of Clark Street between Foster and Bryn Mawr has not pushed well beyond the old borders.

Some neighborhoods get renamed by developers who affect a near-total transformation of the neighborhood (West Loop, South Loop). Some neighborhoods were named after public housing projects that have since been knocked down (Stateway Gardens) so the names will probably vanish too if they haven't already. And some neighborhood names simply die after the generation that named it died off or moved out (I don't know of anyone who considers themselves a resident of Beverly View).

Old 09-02-2011, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Drover,

From what you're saying it seems like it's a little of column A and a little of column B. It's really a subjective and objective thing.

And it's weird for me hearing people talk about these neightborhoods all the time because where I came from, there were different areas of the city, but rarely did people use the "neighborhood name" to identify where they came from/live. A handful of areas had names that people recognized and knew the boundries to, but for the most part knowing where you lived meant knowing the closest major intersection.
It's common here to identify where you live by neighborhood name. And yeah, it can be confusing because neighborhood names and boundaries can be fluid, and sometimes they coincide with Official Community names (which have fixed, non-fluid names and boundaries). If you're ever confused, just ask them to identify the nearest major intersection or landmark.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:59 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,007,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
More often what happens is that a realtor, apartment finder/manager, or developer will try to expand the boundaries of a desireable neighborhood so that the property they're trying to rent or sell to you seems more appealing than it is, especially if the property is in a bordering not-so-desirable neighborhood. For instance "West Wicker Park" in a rental ad often really means "Humboldt Park," a good chunk of which is a gang war zone. Even if the eastern sliver of Humboldt Park is an OK neighborhood (and for the most part it is), Wicker Park is a much easier sell than Humboldt Park.

Also, sometimes neighborhood names or boundaries change because the composition of the neighborhood has changed. When I lived in Andersonville 12 years ago, the accepted northern border was Bryn Mawr and the accepted southern border was Foster, though a handful of Clark Street businesses (such as Hopleaf) were considered honorary Andersonville institutions. Nowadays the self-identified Andersonville neighborhood extends south almost all the way to Lawrence and west all the way up to Ridge. Why the difference? Because the gentrified business district that came to define Andersonville and was once confined to the stretch of Clark Street between Foster and Bryn Mawr has not pushed well beyond the old borders.

Some neighborhoods get renamed by developers who affect a near-total transformation of the neighborhood (West Loop, South Loop). Some neighborhoods were named after public housing projects that have since been knocked down (Stateway Gardens) so the names will probably vanish too if they haven't already. And some neighborhood names simply die after the generation that named it died off or moved out (I don't know of anyone who considers themselves a resident of Beverly View).

Great post Drover, I've repped you too recently to be able to do it again. You definitely captured what I had thought about Andersonville, I lived near there about the same time and was over there recently and noticed a big change.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Great post Drover, I've repped you too recently to be able to do it again. You definitely captured what I had thought about Andersonville, I lived near there about the same time and was over there recently and noticed a big change.
Thanks. Though I would like to amend my comments to say "the gentrified business district that came to define Andersonville and was once confined to the stretch of Clark Street between Foster and Bryn Mawr has now [as opposed to not] pushed well beyond the old borders." I also meant to say north of Ridge rather than west.

I wish I could get on a decent sleep schedule.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:50 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,961,637 times
Another Chicago neighborhood question..

So, is it true that while Uptown is a troubled neighborhood, the areas around it ( Lakeview, Lincoln Square, North Center, Edgewater, etc) are quite nice, but then Albany Park ( one area removed) is somewhat marginal?

Also, the map I'm looking at doesn't even list Andersonville..must be a subsection of a larger area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago