Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 01:02 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,828,570 times

Advertisements

No doubt Chicago has and will always have wonderful architecture. But I am starting to feel as of late we are falling behind.

I am glad to see construction is on the rise again, but a lot of these new projects that are going up are "nice" but I really wish Chicago would really start becoming a leader again in architecture. I really think the gap between the newer projects (in regards to design and innovation) of what Chicago is putting out there and let's say a place like NYC, is getting bigger and bigger. I am not trying to compare NYC to Chicago, but I am just saying that Chicago I feel in the past was one of many cities in the forefront of modern architecture, but it just feels like as of late we are just putting out there nice mediocre buildings, and as of late are producing Tier 2 type buildings, nice to look at, but nothing impressive or really moving the industry forward.

Then again, compared to what a lot of other cities are putting out there (within the U.S. that is), Chicago is putting out some good stuff. It just feels like we have been lagging a little bit. Or maybe my expectations are a little too high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 01:11 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,958,988 times
While I agree with the general sentiment, I don't agree that every single building has to be an amazing masterpiece. Remember we're coming off a recession - not everything that will be built in a lot of places will be amazing. I do like the new proposal for the 50+ story Marriott Marquis though - it's pretty awesome. Same as the new Chinatown library.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
While I agree with the general sentiment, I don't agree that every single building has to be an amazing masterpiece. Remember we're coming off a recession - not everything that will be built in a lot of places will be amazing. I do like the new proposal for the 50+ story Marriott Marquis though - it's pretty awesome. Same as the new Chinatown library.
That could be it too, due to the recession. Aqua and Millenium Park itself are amazing recent additions in the past decade. I also agree that not every building needs to be a masterpiece.

But then the Marriott Marquis (as proposed). It's a real nice building, but I don't find it to be a standout building. It's a cool looking building but nothing we haven't seen before.

And I am not only talking about the skyscrapers, I am talking about lowrise, residential, streetscape, etc. Chicago is producing nice architecture for sure, but it just doesn't feel like were are being innovative anymore like we used to be. I see cities like NYC, Shanghai and London designing amazing buildings and breaking the mold. I feel like Chicago used to be part of the group that was "breaking the mold" it just feels like we are not anymore. It's like comparing a Tesla to a Lexus. Both produce amazing an beautiful cars, but one is in the forefront and really making a name for itself on how it's revolutionising the industry. I feel Chicago was like that before, but we are lagging behind lately.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:26 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,578,653 times
go back to curbed

Old 09-19-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
go back to curbed

Seriously, what's the point on commenting if you are just going to make annoying comments?

Old 09-19-2013, 01:34 PM

^ The recession has a ton to do with it. Buildings like Aqua were completed at the beginning of it, but they were started before it ever happened. The thing is that now, why would you spend $100,000 extra on something if it's barely going to increase the price of rent or cost of a condo in the building. It seems like many developers are going more in the "flat design" approach to things and taking out certain embellishments.

I have seen a lot of other good, contemporary architecture in the city in some neighborhoods but I am a fan of that type of stuff. It's not AMAZING but it's pretty good.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
^ The recession has a ton to do with it. Buildings like Aqua were completed at the beginning of it, but they were started before it ever happened. The thing is that now, why would you spend $100,000 extra on something if it's barely going to increase the price of rent or cost of a condo in the building. It seems like many developers are going more in the "flat design" approach to things and taking out certain embellishments.

I have seen a lot of other good, contemporary architecture in the city in some neighborhoods but I am a fan of that type of stuff. It's not AMAZING but it's pretty good.
Domestically speaking though, Chicago is definitely in the forefront, with the exception of NYC, when it comes to Architecture. Most other American cities aren't really putting anything all that interesting out there.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Domestically speaking though, Chicago is definitely in the forefront, with the exception of NYC, when it comes to Architecture. Most other American cities aren't really putting anything all that interesting out there.
I don't agree about NYC with the exception of a few buildings. There's just as much semi cookie cutter stuff going up in NYC as there is here in Chicago. Chicago and NYC though are #1 and #2 IMO though, in the US.

I do think architecture matters, but as long as it's not ****ty, I'm not going to get pissed that Chicago isn't turning out amazing design after amazing design.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:51 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,821,890 times
Well, this didn't help:

Shaking the Foundation: Chicago’s architecture community devastated by recession

I personally went from working on amazing fantasy projects in Shanghai and Dubai to scraping along for whatever work I could get. I left the profession because it was in shambles. It seems like things are slowly getting better, but I think the profession of architecture in Chicago will be changed for a long time, and a lot of people are shaken up.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I don't agree about NYC with the exception of a few buildings. There's just as much semi cookie cutter stuff going up in NYC as there is here in Chicago. Chicago and NYC though are #1 and #2 IMO though, in the US.

I do think architecture matters, but as long as it's not ****ty, I'm not going to get pissed that Chicago isn't turning out amazing design after amazing design.
But my point is that Chicago really use to be at the forefront before (globally). It used to be a leader in architecture, and I feel it no longer is. Again I see Chicago right now being like Lexus, nice designs and good quality, but imo Chicago used to be a Tesla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago