Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 02:43 PM

308 posts, read 1,618,111 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I recently moved to Illinois (village nearby Elgin) and am looking forward to watching some hockey without having to travel out-of-state to do so for once. However, I have no interest in driving to Chicago for games and I am not clued in on the public transport system as of yet. I have been advised that I can get into Chicago fairly easy from Elgin via train, but does anyone know whether the train is within a reasonable (preferrably short) walking distance of the United Center? Or what would be the best route to take? Any suggestions are appreciated!

Cheers,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 02:55 PM

774 posts, read 2,498,220 times
All of the trains from that area will go to either Union Station or Oglivie Station (it depends on the suburb that you're traveling from), both of which have exits onto Madison Street. The United Center is then a little less than 2 miles straight west on Madison. It's possible to walk, but it's a bit of hike (I don't know why, but it personally feels like a lot longer walk than it actually is). There are a lot of CTA buses available between the United Center and the train stations, especially in the hour before and after the game. If you don't want to take a bus, there are also tons of cabs available. Needless to say, the United Center is the easiest stadium in the city to get to from the train stations that go to the suburbs since it's pretty close and straight down the street.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:14 PM

Awesome! Thanks, Frank! Two miles doesn't seem like much but dependent upon when the game lets out, not so sure I want to be walking around in unfamiliar places. Might end up walking well over 2 miles. Now I must go pester a ticket agent.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:18 PM

97 posts, read 326,904 times
you definitely DO NOT want to be walking around the area around the United Center at night.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:19 PM

Believe me, you'll have no problem getting Blackhawks tickets. I could go on an extremely long diatribe about this, but suffice to say, they have the worst owner in all of pro sports.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesuited77 View Post
you definitely DO NOT want to be walking around the area around the United Center at night.
I think that heading to and from the Loop down Madison before and after the game is fine (it's all really expensive condos now). I'd agree that you don't want to head west of the United Center, though.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Believe me, you'll have no problem getting Blackhawks tickets. I could go on an extremely long diatribe about this, but suffice to say, they have the worst owner in all of pro sports.
Yes, I'm well aware of the Blackhawks' reputation, but as I keep telling people, not really going there to see THEM play. A partial season package will allow me to watch the few teams that I prefer to watch without having to worry about the hunt for elusive tickets.

EDIT to add: Speaking of which, anyone know whether I'll get jumped for wearing another team's jersey? Some places are . . . um, less hostile than others in regards to this.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesuited77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
I think that heading to and from the Loop down Madison before and after the game is fine (it's all really expensive condos now). I'd agree that you don't want to head west of the United Center, though.
Hmm, this sounds like another reason for me to find another local hockey buddy to drag along with me. Thanks for the tip!

Old 08-15-2007, 03:48 PM

97 posts, read 326,904 times
don't worry about getting jumped. there won't be many other people there unless they are playing Detroit, where it will be all Red Wings fans.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:53 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,439,231 times
My kind of topic! *rubs hands together*

You can drive from Elgin straight south to Geneva and take the train to Ogilvie Transporation Center and walk due west on Madison right to the UC. Its a bit of a hike as Frank says, but its not that bad really. I usually drive from Warrenville on 88 and exit on Damon and its right there. Traffic sucks though, I must warn you.

You should also check out the Rockford Ice Hogs. Theyre the Hawks' new affiliate, they moved from Norfolk. You can go see them and watch all the struggling guys, LOL (ie St. Pierre, Bourque, etc).

Anyone going to the home opener against Detroilet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago