Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 06:19 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,580,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I am neither saying racism doesn't exist, nor am I saying it isn't a problem where it does.

What I am saying is that if you believe LP & LV have large numbers of closeted bigots and racists out of proportion to the rest of the north side, the burden of proof would be on you to display that. That doesn't match my experience, that's all.

Racism is never pretty, but thankfully it is definitely increasingly (if not largely) unacceptable in terms of displaying it in public.

Anecdotal evidence is certainly valid when you are describing your/one's own experiences, but it doesn't make for a convincing argument when you're generalizing about tens of thousands of people (such as Milton Bradley did, and I didn't bring him up either).

And my point was simply that perhaps the OP could try expanding his social horizons and checking out some different places - Elbo Room, Delilah's, Ten Cat, the Metro, Sheffield's, Goose Island are just a handful of places I've gone with black friends in that area who didn't seem to have felt unwelcome whatsoever.

Don't judge the entire neighborhood by a few people, or a few places - or at least tell us which ones they are, you might be surprised and find out that many of us would agree with you/the OP on a case-by-case basis, I dunno, I'd need more info.

But I've never known anyone of color who felt uncomfortable walking around - or living in - Lake View, at least.

There are a few meathead sectors of Lincoln Park I wouldn't go anywhere near even as a white guy, so I can certainly believe they would less welcoming to a black one.
Meh, it's hard to provide anything but anecdotal evidence when talking about racism and that goes both ways. Are you a racist? is not included in the census. IMO there is more racism under the surface on all sides and in all areas of the country than we like to believe and I believe it's more prevalent in areas heavly dominated by one group.

I also find it hard to believe anyone would be genuinely and routinely descriminated against because of their skin color in LP/LV. The OP didn't make much sense and was hard to follow.

And yeah, Milton Bradley was a DB and was a lol-able example of anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 08:04 AM

337 posts, read 969,850 times
I have heard Chicago was incredibly racist and segregated but didn't know it was that bad.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 AM

NYC is increbibly segregated with the places roughly equivelant of LP/LV/GC almost entirely white.

Mapping Racial Segregation in New York City -- Daily Intel

Old 08-16-2011, 08:22 AM

4,681 posts, read 5,002,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
I have heard Chicago was incredibly racist and segregated but didn't know it was that bad.
What's the Bronx below the Cross-Bronx Expressway, 1 percent white? 2 percent white?

Old 08-16-2011, 08:58 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,994,188 times
I have to be honest and say I know of many whites that live in all white areas that are not racist.I've known whites to live with other races that where racist.

I think op is trying to communicate something that you dont want to read is the reason you are not reading into whats written. And Aleking is trying to discredit his thread. I dont think its cool.

Many blacks have had similar experiences in this great city. Trying to build a life in lv lp as a black man can be tough for some due to the mentality of some in the establishments/and people that patronise those establishments. Its tough to relate unless youve experience it.

NYC has racist people as well. No city is immune to having that problem.

Lvlp imo isn't the best choice for our demographic to build a life in Chicago. As I've said many time throughout many threads I've a social life as a 40yr old gay man that far supercedes any place I've been to. I think its that way because Ive chosen the right areas to live work and play. Only time I go to lakeview to hangout is when I'm with someone. Never again do I go alone or go with the purpose of meeting a stanger or just hanging out. Its not that type of scene for most blacks. Thats it thats all.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:02 AM

928 posts, read 1,716,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
NYC is increbibly segregated with the places roughly equivelant of LP/LV/GC almost entirely white.

Mapping Racial Segregation in New York City -- Daily Intel
Did you look at Chicago's map? The exclusion of non-whites goes beyond just the expensive neighborhoods.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Did you look at Chicago's map? The exclusion of non-whites goes beyond just the expensive neighborhoods.

just like NYC.

EDIT: for reference

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/5560488484/sizes/o/in/photostream/ (broken link)

Old 08-16-2011, 11:10 AM

Race and ethnicity 2010: New York City | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/5559914315/in/set-72157626354149574 - broken link)

Are you looking at a map of NYC seeing only the colors, but having no idea what neighborhoods those dots actually represent? I immediately recognized the dark red area in the middle as very pricey part of Manhattan. Not at all surprising. My eye then darted over to Queens, and I found exactly what I was expecting. Something like a splash of a lot of colors, representing a fairly good racial mix.

Los Angeles is also far more racially integrated than Chicago, though not without its very white parts. Again, those are usually more expensive areas. The study you linked earlier from DePaul even described Chi as the most segregated major city in the country. I'm sorry that this is unpleasant for you, but that doesn't make it any less so.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Race and ethnicity 2010: New York City | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/5559914315/in/set-72157626354149574 - broken link)

Are you looking at a map of NYC seeing only the colors, but having no idea what neighborhoods those dots actually represent? I immediately recognized the dark red area in the middle as very pricey part of Manhattan. Not at all surprising. My eye then darted over to Queens, and I found exactly what I was expecting. Something like a splash of a lot of colors, representing a fairly good racial mix.

Los Angeles is also far more racially integrated than Chicago, though not without its very white parts. Again, those are usually more expensive areas. The study you linked earlier from DePaul even described Chi as the most segregated major city in the country. I'm sorry that this is unpleasant for you, but that doesn't make it any less so.

Never said it wasn't but the fact remains, the nice places equivelant of LP/LV/GC, the places the OP was talking about are lilly white in Los Angeles, New York, Boston, etc. Re-read the OPs post, he wasn't talking about diversity in lower/middle class working 'hoods, he was talking about rich people urban play grounds where he could club. They are white everywhere.

Quote:
Now that Im back in Chicago,Im not really feeling the love,all the nice spots
like Lincoln Park Lakeview,and Rush/Division,seem to be for only for young white professionals
this is not the equivelant of Queens, your comparison makes no sense.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:32 AM

How many racially diverse neighborhoods where young professionals live and/or go out would I have to list in, say, Los Angeles (the city I know best) before you feel like I'm giving apt comparisons? Is there any amount, or will nothing divorce you from the idea that Chicago is no more racially segregated than NY, LA, SF, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago