Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 12:14 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,088,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I dont think most people care about what city is whiter than the other.
Most people don't post on a website called City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:49 AM

28 posts, read 79,303 times
I find this post extremely interesting and quite disturbing at the same time. I have to admit that I haven't lived in Chicago for a long time, but I know that I, as well as a number of my AA friends, both formally educated as well as those who are were not, would take great offense to the statement that the original poster characterizes the AA clubs, and venues as "ghetto". As a matter of fact, this AA college-educated professional finds a wealth of some wonderful things to do when he is there visiting.

Though I am offended, I won't flame you for your opinion. My suggestion to you is to maybe expand your horizons and visit some of the poetry slams, fraternity and sorority socials, masonic events, or leave the loop and the north side and venture into the southern regions of the city. Of course you have to be careful and use good judgement wherever you go in the city, but there are some really exciting things happening in the Black community on the South Side. Case in point, did you happen to go to the House Party Reunion at Hayes Park in July? If not, you missed a wonderful opportunity to meet Black folks from all walks of life. Have you visited the gym or the Lakefront and played in a pick up game of basketball? How about joining a social club or fraternity? I am not sure how you feel about religion, but historically that has been a great place to socialize for Black folk.

I know you probably didn't mean to be offensive in your rant, but please don't make it sound like you are the only professional black male in the city and everyone else is uninviting or ghetto. There are a lot of very warm, young professional blacks, and also working class blacks, in Chicago who hold positions such as college professors, bankers, attorneys, large business owners, small business owners, journalists, doctors, public officials, politicians...I know 'cause I know a few. Good luck with finding your niche in Chicago. Wish I was there to help you.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:25 AM

7,108 posts, read 9,004,846 times
You are so on point. This is a big city and anyone can find their place here. Ive met so many people here that have things going for themselves. They are bus drivers to retail managers to people running 2 and 3 businesses. They all dont live in Hyde Park either. Gotta network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishphd View Post
I find this post extremely interesting and quite disturbing at the same time. I have to admit that I haven't lived in Chicago for a long time, but I know that I, as well as a number of my AA friends, both formally educated as well as those who are were not, would take great offense to the statement that the original poster characterizes the AA clubs, and venues as "ghetto". As a matter of fact, this AA college-educated professional finds a wealth of some wonderful things to do when he is there visiting.

Though I am offended, I won't flame you for your opinion. My suggestion to you is to maybe expand your horizons and visit some of the poetry slams, fraternity and sorority socials, masonic events, or leave the loop and the north side and venture into the southern regions of the city. Of course you have to be careful and use good judgement wherever you go in the city, but there are some really exciting things happening in the Black community on the South Side. Case in point, did you happen to go to the House Party Reunion at Hayes Park in July? If not, you missed a wonderful opportunity to meet Black folks from all walks of life. Have you visited the gym or the Lakefront and played in a pick up game of basketball? How about joining a social club or fraternity? I am not sure how you feel about religion, but historically that has been a great place to socialize for Black folk.

I know you probably didn't mean to be offensive in your rant, but please don't make it sound like you are the only professional black male in the city and everyone else is uninviting or ghetto. There are a lot of very warm, young professional blacks, and also working class blacks, in Chicago who hold positions such as college professors, bankers, attorneys, large business owners, small business owners, journalists, doctors, public officials, politicians...I know 'cause I know a few. Good luck with finding your niche in Chicago. Wish I was there to help you.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:00 PM

46 posts, read 144,775 times
I didn't respond to this because I read this post over and over and over and over and I kept being offended by it as well even though I come from an affluent family and have an advanced degree. I love your suggestions about the poetry slams. I lived in Hyde Park/Kenwood and it was tons of things that people use to do that were black and professional.

Quote:

Old 08-26-2011, 06:55 PM

665 posts, read 1,245,335 times
Quote:

I said in other post that there are blk middle class ppl in chicago.
They are just all spread out BLK ppl or Latin ppl for that matter do not
have the equlivant of a wriglyville or rush/division. to find a middle class
black function you have to search around or constantly visit the same places
I never meant to imply all AA in chicago were ghetto. I went to grammar school in hayes park, I know middle class blk ppl. but unlike atlanta we dont have a huge strip of upscale bars and clubs like the white ppl do.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:28 PM

46 posts, read 144,775 times
I could agree with that

Old 08-27-2011, 12:00 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,216,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
I said in other post that there are blk middle class ppl in chicago.
They are just all spread out BLK ppl or Latin ppl for that matter do not
have the equlivant of a wriglyville or rush/division. to find a middle class
black function you have to search around or constantly visit the same places
I never meant to imply all AA in chicago were ghetto. I went to grammar school in hayes park, I know middle class blk ppl. but unlike atlanta we dont have a huge strip of upscale bars and clubs like the white ppl do.

I wouldn't say they are all that spread out, they are quite easy to find. And if you mean by Chicago, including suburbs, there are gangs of them in the south suburbs. The problem though is none of these middle-upper class black areas are bustling communities. For the most part, they are residential/bedroom places with the standard amenties( grocery store and strip mall). Way back in the day, black Chicagoans had something going on with Bronzeville. My grandma used to always talk about how she can go see her favorite RnB and Soul artists/bands at a theatre in Bronzeville on 47th St. Bronzeville also had some Jazz venues where famous and local Jazz player come and play. I'm not big on Jazz but I wish I had a time machine to go back in time to witness this bustling black community that old timers like to dwell on about.

So you are right, there isn't a southside equivalent of Lakeview and Lincoln Park with a substantial black population. Since you mention latinos, Mexicans have the Little Village(26th St. strip), which I read has the second highest revenue in the city after N. Michigan Ave. Impressive for a community that also has a large gang population and is largely working class/low income. Its not considered a middle class community but its something. Even something like 26th St. in black areas in Chicago would be a plus.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 08-27-2011 at 12:08 AM..

Old 08-27-2011, 01:23 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,366,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
A white person thats ingrained in Hip Hop culture and/or acts stereotypically black.

Extreme example

V-Nasty On Some Real **** - YouTube
Someone needs to punch this broad in the throat.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:39 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,088,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Someone needs to punch this broad in the throat.
In other words, smack dat b****.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:16 PM

3,647 posts, read 8,328,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I wouldn't say they are all that spread out, they are quite easy to find. And if you mean by Chicago, including suburbs, there are gangs of them in the south suburbs. The problem though is none of these middle-upper class black areas are bustling communities. For the most part, they are residential/bedroom places with the standard amenties( grocery store and strip mall). Way back in the day, black Chicagoans had something going on with Bronzeville. My grandma used to always talk about how she can go see her favorite RnB and Soul artists/bands at a theatre in Bronzeville on 47th St. Bronzeville also had some Jazz venues where famous and local Jazz player come and play. I'm not big on Jazz but I wish I had a time machine to go back in time to witness this bustling black community that old timers like to dwell on about.

So you are right, there isn't a southside equivalent of Lakeview and Lincoln Park with a substantial black population. Since you mention latinos, Mexicans have the Little Village(26th St. strip), which I read has the second highest revenue in the city after N. Michigan Ave. Impressive for a community that also has a large gang population and is largely working class/low income. Its not considered a middle class community but its something. Even something like 26th St. in black areas in Chicago would be a plus.
The closest thing to 26th street in the predominantly black areas of the city is 79th street. Quite a few black owned businesses there. I Remember watching a documantary and it said Cook County has the higherst amount of black owned businesses in the country

mas23
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago