Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 02:20 AM

15 posts, read 37,407 times

Advertisements

What is the deal???? Are there any apt. buildings in Wicker park? Moving from NY and I rather live in an apt. building with more units. I think that will broaden my chances of meeting more ppl. Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 03:57 PM

17 posts, read 59,866 times
You don't need an apartment building in Wicker Park.

Get a place you like, and exit it into the street. go to any bar, or sit on your porch.

the end.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:14 PM

2,518 posts, read 3,585,516 times
I don't know of any large apartment buildings here, and honestly I'm a little perturbed to think that people who like big complexes (with doorman, pool, on-site leasing office, etc.) are being steered to Wicker Park. If that's what you're looking for, look downtown or along the lakefront.

This is a neighborhood of little walk-up buildings: 91% of housing units in West Town (including Wicker Park) are in buildings with less than 20 units. Think Hoboken, not Jersey City.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:07 PM

Default relax paytonc

I did not say I was looking for a swimming pool and doorman..just an a apt. building with more units...therefore more people. I currently live in a brownstone in brooklyn...and eventhough I know all my neighborhors; when/if I move I would rather live in a larger building to broaden the possibility to meet more ppl.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:15 PM

17 posts, read 59,866 times
Why don't you go to your neighbors house with a bottle of wine or something and say hello?

Everyone is very friendly.

What's the difference between that and going one door over in a big building?

Last edited by nowyouareoneofus; 08-12-2007 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: 1

Old 08-12-2007, 09:31 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,126,471 times
I've only once lived in a 'big building' and it didn't make any difference in meeting people whatsoever.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:03 AM

131 posts, read 660,991 times
There are some bigger apt buildings in wicker park, but they are few and far between. You'd actually have to walk around and find them. They aren't on the main streets of North Ave or Division but usually lie between the two.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:19 AM

169 posts, read 458,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locstarr View Post
I did not say I was looking for a swimming pool and doorman..just an a apt. building with more units...therefore more people. I currently live in a brownstone in brooklyn...and eventhough I know all my neighborhors; when/if I move I would rather live in a larger building to broaden the possibility to meet more ppl.
Wicker Park just hasn't reached that level of gentrification yet, unlike Williamsburg in Brooklyn. There are people there who fear it may, which is why your question rubbed some people the wrong way. (I realize that wasn't your intent.) You really are better off in Lincoln Park or Gold Coast if you're looking for large apartment buildings.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Did I rub you the wrong way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpoguy View Post
Wicker Park just hasn't reached that level of gentrification yet, unlike Williamsburg in Brooklyn. There are people there who fear it may, which is why your question rubbed some people the wrong way. (I realize that wasn't your intent.) You really are better off in Lincoln Park or Gold Coast if you're looking for large apartment buildings.
uh huh....well from what I have gathered it seems that those areas you have mentioned (lincoln park or the gold coast) are yuppyville and I can't really hang with that. Wicker park seems to be a neighborhood where I have a greater chance of vibing with some conscious individuals. But it was NOT my intent to rub anyone the wrong way...because I see gentrification first hand in my hood and surrounding places.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:39 PM

169 posts, read 458,663 times
Large apartment buildings tend to be yuppieville, so I think we're having a hard time trying to figure out how you're looking for the Wicker Park kind of vibe but with larger buildings. Those two things just don't tend to go together, at least in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago