Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 07:37 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,101,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinolofus View Post
wicker park is full of yuppies who think they arent yuppies.
And a few people who just like the neighborhood, don't really care about the debate, and are just happy to have a safe place to live where there are a lot of things to do locally. I don't have quite enough money to be a 'yuppie' (no I don't own a condo, or even a car) but enough money to not be considered poor (I have the luxury of a university degree and a steady job behind a desk). I'm just a somewhere in the middle 30 something who likes the area (and found cheap rent).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 11:45 AM

2,505 posts, read 3,555,225 times
Quote:
thank you for your input.

in any case, I kept an eye out for 10+ unit rental apartments on my ride home last night -- besides a new one above the Curves Fitness and perhaps a 12-unit half courtyard on Hoyne, I couldn't find anything within Historic Wicker Park that wasn't either condos or subsidized. (except for the now-condo PAC Lofts, all high-rises here are subsidized, and many of the larger buildings were turned over to CDCs in the 1980s; since larger buildings usually sell for a lower price per unit, they're often the first to go condo when the conversions occur.)

wait, subsidized housing? maybe we aren't all yuppies after all...

Old 08-16-2007, 01:15 AM

186 posts, read 1,119,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locstarr View Post
What is the deal???? Are there any apt. buildings in Wicker park? Moving from NY and I rather live in an apt. building with more units. I think that will broaden my chances of meeting more ppl. Am I wrong?
unlike new york people are very friendly in chicago....and if you want an apartment look in lakeview.....trust me its got that manhattan feel without the manhattan "get the **** out of my face" feel haha

Old 08-16-2007, 10:55 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,101,546 times
There is nothing manhattanlike about lakeview whatsoever. Unless someone cut off all the tops of the buildings after the third story and replaced the inhabitants with recent graduates of big-ten universities since the last time I visited.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:20 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,643,504 times
Quote:
You hit the nail on the proverbial head. Its a whole lot of people trying to be "hip" by association.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:09 PM

17 posts, read 59,678 times
The fact that you want a building with 15 units to "have a better relationship with your neighbors" is pretty hilarious.

Personally, all the bigger units i've seen are full of *******s who never open their doors for anyone.

Spend time in the neighborhoods, pick one you like, with people you like, and you'll be very happy, with friendly neighbors maybe even, and you won't have to live in a crappy apartment building.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:06 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,643,504 times
Personally, I would live in a high rise my whole life if I could. I prefer that style of living. Especially if its with views like this:

Old 08-16-2007, 05:02 PM

4 posts, read 10,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saadrajabali View Post
unlike new york people are very friendly in chicago....and if you want an apartment look in lakeview.....trust me its got that manhattan feel without the manhattan "get the **** out of my face" feel haha

Sorry, I had to comment on this one. Lived in Manhattan most of my life till I moved down to Las Vegas (and am now looking forward to getting out of the desert and into Chicago). There are occassional A******* in Manhattan, like in any town/city, but for the most part people there are fantastic. I think NYers have a really low tolerance for stupidity, and flakiness, but I never met anyone who got the "get the **** out of my face" attitude, unless they sort of deserved it.

In any case, I look forward to moving to Chicago, though I hear I may have to watch my Yankees games in the privacy of my own home with the mute button on

Old 08-16-2007, 05:19 PM

186 posts, read 1,119,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Personally, I would live in a high rise my whole life if I could. I prefer that style of living. Especially if its with views like this:
wow.......NOW THATS WHAT I CALL A PLACE TO LIVE EVEN IF IT IS SMALL.........NIIIIICE

Old 08-16-2007, 05:36 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,622,259 times
I did the high rise thing for one year. Never really got into it.

Pros: views were fun--both from roof and apartment, especially on fireworks nights and even more so on air-water show weekend. Loved being by the lake. Felt fairly safe. Was an absolutely great place to take a date back home to...

Cons: I hated the sterility of it. never got to know the neighbors, hated the fact there was a doorman to deal with. Getting the paper in the morning was a crapshoot, and I really lost a lot of mail there. Hated the laundry room thing as well, seemed much easier to do the laundry in other smaller apartment complexes. Hard to find cheap parking for guests that couldn't take public transportation. Just not for me.

that being said, fantastic picture up above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago