Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 12:47 PM

6 posts, read 13,472 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm an Asian Indian, married and currently living with my wife in the Lincoln Park area for the past six months. Currently, we live in a one bedroom apartment and looking to move to a two bedroom apartment. I work in downtown Chicago near Washington and State. Blue Line, Red Line are close to me. The other lines are not too far away either.

I would like to ask for any suggestions on the areas/good neighborhoods that I need to look at for housing with the following requirements:

*Safety is a high priority.
*Good neighborhood. Family oriented.
*I need to be close to CTA trains. Lets just say Metra is not an option. I'm looking at maximum commute time of 45 minutes. If it means I need to park my car near CTA train station and drive, that is fine.
*Rent around $1300, with car parking if possible. A little more rent can be considered.
*Good day care options would be a good thing.
*It would be nice if there are people from India as neighbours.
*Good school district would be nice, but not high on the priority list for now.

I was suggested
Oak Park- With Austin to the East of it, I'm not too sure if it is too safe. So, not considering it.
Rogers Park- I read somewhere that it is high crime ridden. So, not considering it.
Belmont - Not interested in that area.
Cumberland - Not interested that area.

Please let me know if you think otherwise about Oak Park, Rogers Park.

Is Niles a good option?

I would appreciate if you could suggest any areas I could be looking out for. If you know of any websites or apartment finder services that are reliable, I would greatly apprecite it.

Thanks,
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 12:56 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,445,845 times
Curious about why "Metra is not an option"??? The walk from any of the Metra stations ought to add only minimally to total commute -- considering you are willing to endure up to 45 mins that would really expand options.

Oak Park is quite safe, and might be a good option. Rent up to $1300 ought to open up lots of possibilities.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:09 PM

93 posts, read 444,219 times
Hello - is there a reason you are focusing on areas outside the city? Moving outwards (north or west) from Lincoln Park you have a plenty of neighborhoods on the blue, red or brown line that fit your budget. Lakeview, Lincoln Square, Roscoe Village, Logan Square all come to mind.

As far as daycare options, there are established chains and local daycares in each area. You might also be able to get a nanny for same cost as some of the higher end establishments.

Lincoln Square, Roscoe Village, and less so Logan Sqaure are a quick drive up Western to Devon, and plenty of desi folks. Unless you're thinking of nesting or have school age kids, I would reconsider moving out of the city.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:28 PM

427 posts, read 464,304 times
Look into Skokie.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:14 PM

818 posts, read 2,173,887 times
Irving Park

Old 07-21-2011, 07:32 AM

438 posts, read 1,700,587 times
I instantly think of Edgewater around Devon and Clark?

Old 07-26-2011, 07:27 PM

6 posts, read 13,472 times
Many thanks for responding.

@ChettEverett, Metra station is more than a mile away from my office. I used Metra in Winter for sometime, and I would like to avoid that. Moreover, I tend to work late at times and the frequency of the CTA trains is better. And hence, Metra is not an option, at least not currently. I will reconsider Oak Park again. But, with Austin in the neighbourhood, I really have to think about it.

@LosGuys, There is no special reason except that the city is a bit crowded and the apartments are cramped. I was wondering if we could move away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Thanks for the list of places. I will continue to look into the suggestions. I have a few years for school age kids.

@sydbarrett, Skokie does sound like a good place. I will look into it.

@sjaye, I will look at Irving Park.

@Gunner0325, Edgewater looks promising. I will research a bit more.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:21 AM

553 posts, read 1,027,488 times
what about Evanston? not sure about Indian folks there though.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:22 AM

553 posts, read 1,027,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
Irving Park
you cannot be serious. the op thinks that Rogers park is not safe.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:01 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,962,571 times
There was a great post from several years ago by Lookout Kid which compared crime stats for Oak Park and Lincoln Park. Basically, crime activity was very comparable. On the other hand, the Asian Indian community here is a lot smaller than what you will find up in Skokie.

Also the CTA lines you would take to/from work travel through the west side, and though statistically quite safe, based on your posting, I'm guessing you would feel very uncomfortable taking the green or blue line at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago