Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:58 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I stopped listening to Q101 about six or seven years ago. I was tired of hearing more commercials than music, and when I did hear the commercials, they were yelling about sex toys or something like that most of the time.
I stopped listening to them for the same reason: too many commercials. Not to mention that their playlist was degraded to repeating the same top ten songs over and over.

XRT is still decent... and sometimes I listen to WFMT for classical. Otherwise, when I'm home and I want background music, I tune in to Music Choice on my cable TV. Forty different stations/genres to choose from... and pure music, no commercials, DJs babbling away, or other BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 02:27 PM

110 posts, read 277,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
XRT is the only station worth listening to, with the exception of WBEZ.

Guys, Vlajos is right.

My only complaint about XRT is that it loves it some Sheryl Crow and John Mellencamp a little too much.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:28 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_H_2 View Post
My only complaint about XRT is that it loves it some Sheryl Crow and John Mellencamp a little too much.
LOL! Sheryl Crow bores me, but I have to admit I like some Mellencamp...

Old 07-13-2011, 02:30 PM

367 posts, read 917,998 times
People still listen to radio?

I listen to internet radio at home. MP3 player for the road.

I got tired of the commercials and the bland programming. Although if I rent a car I'll listen a bit just to see what's being sold these days. Music and product wise.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:34 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,223 times
Radio sucks. They play the same songs over and over, with too many commercials. I was however upset when WNUA switched from jazz to hispanic format (WTF?). 87.7 took over, but it seems they're interested in playing adult contemporary instead of jazz.

Radio sucks.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:47 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
XRT is good, an icon. WBEZ is good for listening to NPR. The "only" good stations? Dealing with opinions, but DRV and LUP are still on my list

Old 07-13-2011, 03:02 PM

588 posts, read 1,800,232 times
But here's the problem, with the stations listed about there is no hard rock, alternative and certainly no heavy metal type stations that will exist now, other than the occasional night from a local college. I'm sorry, the Loop doesn't cut it for me to have to listen to Radar Love, Don't Fear the Reaper and Stairway to Heaven over and over again to finally get to a Metallica song. If people are listening to FMT and Jack before, chances are Q101 wasn't your musical taste. Granted I though Q101 was at best a 6 on a scale of 10, but now there's practically nothing for these genre's. Remember, for some of us the car is our office, which I'm in 12 hours a day, but when its the company car, no modifications can be made. The FM transmitters to play an iPod over the radio suck in the squad because of all the RF interference from the radio's, lights, etc. Oh well, hopefully some station will realize the extreme void that's in Chicago radio for heavy music and do something about it.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:45 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Does the squad car have a tape deck? If so, you can do iPod or satellite radio that way. If not, that's a huge bummer.

I couldn't imagine being in the car that long and having to listen to the crappy radio choices. On road trips I've always been lucky to use a car that has satellite radio, thank God.

But yes, terrestrial radio is pretty much dead. I can easily get streaming internet radio over my phone or internet connection at work, which means I can find a lot of good stuff that I wouldn't otherwise find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
But here's the problem, with the stations listed about there is no hard rock, alternative and certainly no heavy metal type stations that will exist now, other than the occasional night from a local college. I'm sorry, the Loop doesn't cut it for me to have to listen to Radar Love, Don't Fear the Reaper and Stairway to Heaven over and over again to finally get to a Metallica song. If people are listening to FMT and Jack before, chances are Q101 wasn't your musical taste. Granted I though Q101 was at best a 6 on a scale of 10, but now there's practically nothing for these genre's. Remember, for some of us the car is our office, which I'm in 12 hours a day, but when its the company car, no modifications can be made. The FM transmitters to play an iPod over the radio suck in the squad because of all the RF interference from the radio's, lights, etc. Oh well, hopefully some station will realize the extreme void that's in Chicago radio for heavy music and do something about it.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:52 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I stopped listening to them for the same reason: too many commercials. Not to mention that their playlist was degraded to repeating the same top ten songs over and over.

XRT is still decent... and sometimes I listen to WFMT for classical. Otherwise, when I'm home and I want background music, I tune in to Music Choice on my cable TV. Forty different stations/genres to choose from... and pure music, no commercials, DJs babbling away, or other BS.
Yes, too many commercials. I was getting to wonder when they would get around to playing music! I guess that means it was a popular station. I can remember when even AM stations played music! Now even FM is going news-talk!

Old 07-13-2011, 08:33 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
Aren't you supposed to be watching for criminals?

Last edited by prairiestate; 07-13-2011 at 09:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago