Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:34 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualAmerican View Post
Garfield-Green to Museum of Science & Industry (1 PM-ish)
Check out Jackson Park, the lagoons, Promontory Point Park really quick
Have supper somewhere (6 PM-ish)
Walk University of Chicago campus westwards to Washington Park, cross through
Take "L" back to Rosemont/hotel for the night (Garfield-Green to Rosemont, 1h10 min.)

Everything looks a lot more achievable...and you might actually have the time to enjoy your tripQuestion for those in the Hyde Park know: walking through Washington Park at night. Is that considered "safe" these days or not?

VirtualAmerican, the reason I ask is that this area was formerly considered a "no go" zone for safety by U of C students/Hyde Park residents back in the day. It may have improved, but I'm not sure walking through the park at night is a smart idea.

If it isn't, I'd take a cab or bus to the el or find an alternate way to get downtown (like Metra or bus).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 09:47 PM

622 posts, read 1,196,588 times
this thread is fantastic.

and no. don't walk through washington park. at night. especially since you're two females.

hyde park and the college are basically on a little island of nice surrounded by...not nice.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:10 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
The only advice I can add is if you plan to take a lot of picture, and I hope you do, you will probably need extra batteroes and a second SMS card. Also, unless you have a Sam's Club card you will have to buy one to get in.

Given a choice Costco, also a buy-in card club, has a better selection of better products and better prices than Sam's Club. If it is anything like the Costco I saw in California it is bigger than any Sam's I've ever been in, and bigger than the largest Warlmart I've been in; it on;y had 45 checkout lanes.

BTW, Hyde Park is where President Obama's house is located.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:54 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Definitely do Hancock Signature Room rather than Sears Tower Skydeck

Old 06-30-2011, 05:03 AM

86 posts, read 400,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
this thread is fantastic.

and no. don't walk through washington park. at night. especially since you're two females.

hyde park and the college are basically on a little island of nice surrounded by...not nice.
Thanks for the tip. I want to point out that I'm a male though! Where did you get that idea, dewthedru?

Also about the Costco/Sam's Club cards - We're Costco members already, but want to try out Sam's Club and maybe get a membership - there are a bazillion Costco warehouses all over Canada, but when we cross into the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area, they are nowhere to be found. Only Sam's Club stores and BJ's Wholesale as far as the eye can see.

As for the park, does it matter if it's not dark out yet when we get there? And, is going around it a safer alternative? We'd already be paying for a cab on our way from the Garfield-Green "L" to the Museum of Science & Industry, trying to avoid that a second time.

Thanks again, you guys have been most wonderful!

Old 06-30-2011, 06:31 AM

71 posts, read 105,585 times
Quote:
July 4th
Get up early (7-8 AM-ish), Breakfast at hotel
Take "L" to North Side (Rosemont to Addison-Red, 1h04 min.)
Check out Wrigley Field and Lakeview (Clark-Halsted-Broadway Sts.)
Have lunch somewhere (1 PM-ish)
Visit Lincoln Park Zoo (2 PM-ish)
Check out Lincoln Park neighborhood
Check out Old Town/Gold Coast area
Have supper somewhere (6 PM)
Head over to North Avenue Beach in time for Independence Day Fireworks (9 PM)
Take "L" back to Rosemont/hotel for the night (Sedgwick to Rosemont, 58 min.)
I didn't read the entire thread, so sorry if this has been covered. But one thing to consider is that over the weekend (2nd and 3rd), the Cub's are hosting the White Sox in Wrigley and there will be a block party just outside the statdium both days (starting at 11AM I believe). My two cents: it's much better to visit Wrigley on a game day, even if you're not going to the game. The atmosphere is amazing and you'll get a true game-day experience. Yes the red line will be packed with Cub/Sox fans, but hey, that's part of the experience.

Enjoy your time in Chi.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:21 AM

504 posts, read 1,493,746 times
Quote:
As for the park, does it matter if it's not dark out yet when we get there? And, is going around it a safer alternative? We'd already be paying for a cab on our way from the Garfield-Green "L" to the Museum of Science & Industry, trying to avoid that a second time.
It'd more than likely be fine but you might not like the vibe around there. North and especially south of the park are not really nice neighborhoods, and Garfield west of the park is a place a lot of people would feel uncomfortable even during the day. The park gets pretty dark and I would avoid walking through it at night.

Apart from that it's just not the best way to get to Hyde Park from downtown. Taking the red line to Garfield is faster and that stop is more heavily used, so it feels more comfortable. Then you can use the 55 or 59 bus to go east. Even better is the #6 bus, which runs express on Lake Shore Drive to Hyde Park. The route might be a little funny because of the Taste of Chicago but you can catch it southbound on State St downtown and then it makes many stops in the eastern portion of Hyde Park. It runs fairly late (til around midnight) and it's better and quicker than the el.

Also driving to Hyde Park is definitely an option. If you don't want to pay the museum to park, street parking shouldn't be too hard to find within a reasonable walking distance of the museum or the university, especially because school is out now. Just pay attention to signs when you park. I believe most streets in Hyde Park are not permit parking only.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:26 AM

994 posts, read 1,830,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
It'd more than likely be fine but you might not like the vibe around there. North and especially south of the park are not really nice neighborhoods, and Garfield west of the park is a place a lot of people would feel uncomfortable even during the day. The park gets pretty dark and I would avoid walking through it at night.

Apart from that it's just not the best way to get to Hyde Park from downtown. Taking the red line to Garfield is faster and that stop is more heavily used, so it feels more comfortable. Then you can use the 55 or 59 bus to go east. Even better is the #6 bus, which runs express on Lake Shore Drive to Hyde Park. The route might be a little funny because of the Taste of Chicago but you can catch it southbound on State St downtown and then it makes many stops in the eastern portion of Hyde Park. It runs fairly late (til around midnight) and it's better and quicker than the el.

Also driving to Hyde Park is definitely an option. If you don't want to pay the museum to park, street parking shouldn't be too hard to find within a reasonable walking distance of the museum or the university, especially because school is out now. Just pay attention to signs when you park. I believe most streets in Hyde Park are not permit parking only.
Yeah if I were you I would drive to Hyde Park. Driving to Oak Park is not a bad idea either.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:45 AM

86 posts, read 400,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Yeah if I were you I would drive to Hyde Park. Driving to Oak Park is not a bad idea either.
OK, so I guess we'll do that instead:

July 3rd
Get up early (7-8 AM-ish), Breakfast at hotel
Drive to Oak Park, find street parking in a centrally located area
Check out Frank Lloyd Wright-designed buildings
Have lunch somewhere (11 AM-ish)
Drive to the South Side, find street parking in a centrally located area
Visit Museum of Science & Industry (1 PM-ish)
Check out Jackson Park, the lagoons, Promontory Point Park really quick
Have supper somewhere (6 PM-ish)
Take a walk on the University of Chicago campus
Drive back to Rosemont/hotel for the night

Old 06-30-2011, 11:59 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I believe there are 35 Wright buildings in Oak Park. It's walking tour, but I believe part of it can be a drive through tour, too.

Sam's club was designed for busines/ bulk purchases. Some prices - fruits for example are very good. Other prices like a case of toilet paper or soup is iffy. Many time you can buy the same thing at Walmart at a cheaper price. Sam's does have nice broasted chicken hot and read to eat that is very good. This club samples a lot of commercial foods mosly on weekends. Per portion commerical foods are not always a bargain. The Tone spices are very good, too. The prices are very reasonable for the quantity when compared to the quantity and price in a grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago