Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:25 PM

24 posts, read 39,437 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to decide on an area rife with 20-somethings (like myself). Safety is a secondary concern, but I wouldn't say I'm obsessive about it.

I don't feel that either Lincoln Park, or Wicker Park/Bucktown/etc. is really for me. I feel pretty "alright" about Lakeview, but I am definately interested in options beyond this.
From what I've somewhat gathered here thus far, given the above, my best options otherwise would perhaps be [A] Lincoln Square (Ravenswood specifically? I don't know) or [b] Edgewater?
Beyond this, Andersonville? I say "beyond this" because I've heard this is mostly a more preeminently gay community (not bothersome but not particularly what I'm looking for), yes?
The following I am not at all sure about, but I feel as though I've also caught stir about parts of Uptown, Rogers Park (West), Pilsen, and Hyde Park? I also feel that safety seems to be a relitively large concern with all of these (I know it is controversial to some extent), so I am initially turned off by the notion of these even if I am correct in this.

Frankly, I have no clue if I'm on the right track with a good portion of this- please let me know if I am (or am not), and any input you might have for me making a decision.
Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 11:33 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,303,681 times
Help us out here. What is your preferred vibe/scene? What kinds of things make you feel comfortable/at home? Are there neighborhoods in other cities that you'd consider a good example?

Old 06-20-2011, 02:25 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,310,613 times
For the record, Andersonville is gay-friendly but it's not a conspicuous gay ghetto like Boystown is. While gay men have made their way up there, Andersonville is really more of a "Girlstown" than "Boystown" and that, IMO, contributes to its muted flamboyance compared to Boystown.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:50 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,580,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
For the record, Andersonville is gay-friendly but it's not a conspicuous gay ghetto like Boystown is. While gay men have made their way up there, Andersonville is really more of a "Girlstown" than "Boystown" and that, IMO, contributes to its muted flamboyance compared to Boystown.

I know that's the wrap, but this years midsommarfest leaned heavily male. Me thinks the older gay men are rolling up north as well.

Either way, it would be easier to suggest places for the OP if they listed why they didn't like Wicker, Buck etc and what they were looking for.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:40 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,266,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
I know that's the wrap, but this years midsommarfest leaned heavily male. Me thinks the older gay men are rolling up north as well.

Either way, it would be easier to suggest places for the OP if they listed why they didn't like Wicker, Buck etc and what they were looking for.

Not only that, but I've noticed A LOT of gay males at bars and eateries around here too. Maybe even more so than girls in some instances. Maybe not a shift, but enough to make it seem less of a "girls town".

Even then, it seems like Andersonville is more a 30s and up kind of neighborhood. When my wife and I go out to eat, we notice that we're sometimes some of the younger ones there (I'm 28 and she's 24.)

Old 06-20-2011, 07:55 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,580,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Not only that, but I've noticed A LOT of gay males at bars and eateries around here too. Maybe even more so than girls in some instances. Maybe not a shift, but enough to make it seem less of a "girls town".

Even then, it seems like Andersonville is more a 30s and up kind of neighborhood. When my wife and I go out to eat, we notice that we're sometimes some of the younger ones there (I'm 28 and she's 24.)

My wife and I are similar (both 27) and I agree with you and like it that way.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:25 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,176,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeshaveleaves View Post
I'm trying to decide on an area rife with 20-somethings... I don't feel that either Lincoln Park, or Wicker Park/Bucktown/etc. is really for me. I feel pretty "alright" about Lakeview...
If LP/WP/Bucktown areas are not for you, why not? What is it about those areas that you didn't like?

Quote:
...my best options otherwise would perhaps be [A] Lincoln Square (Ravenswood specifically? I don't know) or [b] Edgewater?
Beyond this, Andersonville?
Those are all good areas and have different benefits/drwabacks to them, what are you wanting from a neighborhood?

Quote:
...I feel as though I've also caught stir about parts of Uptown, Rogers Park (West), Pilsen, and Hyde Park?
Again, I like all these hoods, but they each have benfits/drawbacks of their own.

Quote:
Frankly, I have no clue if I'm on the right track with a good portion of this- please let me know if I am (or am not), and any input you might have for me making a decision.
On the right track? Seems like you're on a bunch of tracks.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:57 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,917,811 times
If you are not used to a major urban environment, I would not suggest Pilsen or Uptown, but Pilsen especially. It is not particularly safe. Uptown is doable, but not safe like Lakeview or Wicker Park or Downtown.

Hyde Park has a lot of 20 somethings, but I would say that most are tied to University of Chicago. Personally, I never liked the area; I found it boring. Not much going on in the way of nightlife and really separated from the active areas of the city and terrible public transit options.

Unfortunately, most of the 20 somethings are clustered around downtown, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, and Bucktown.

Lincoln Square has a lot of stuff (bars, restaurants), and plenty of 20 somethings. It's a good neighborhood and you don't get the "Hey I just moved to Chicago from _______ and I'm awesome because I live downtown (or Lakeview)" attitude.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:33 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,203,222 times
Lincoln Square is an ultra cool neighborhood. Take a walk up Lincoln Avenue from Wilson to Lawrence and check it out. Tons of cool restaurants, shops, coffeehouses, the Davis Movie theatre.
And the Brown Line from the Western Ave stop will zip you safely to the Loop or you can get off at the Southport stop to hang out in Lakeview.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,727,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
Lincoln Square is an ultra cool neighborhood. Take a walk up Lincoln Avenue from Wilson to Lawrence and check it out. Tons of cool restaurants, shops, coffeehouses, the Davis Movie theatre.
And the Brown Line from the Western Ave stop will zip you safely to the Loop or you can get off at the Southport stop to hang out in Lakeview.
I say from Montrose to Lawrence!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago