Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:52 PM

24 posts, read 39,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
With Rogers Park, I've only personally started to get familiar with the SE portion near Loyola. There is some good stuff on Sheridan, Devon, and Clark.

Otherwise, I frequently cycle to work using Pratt as an E/W street, sometimes. That lower portion of West Ridge (West Rogers Park) is quiet and fairly well kept.

Depends on your definition of "far" and what qualifies as "good night life" to you. If someone resides closer to the lake, or at least close enough to Clark, you could hop on the bus and literally be minutes from the Andersonville stretch on Clark and just a little bit further until you hit :::shudder::: Clark and Addison.

I hope nobody misconstrues this as me defending Rogers Park. Xavier Xerxes would have a field day.
Very helpful, thank you!

Quote:
Depends what you consider good night life... Mayne Stage is right there that gets great acts, and there are several good bars in the area and restaurants down Jarvis/Morse/Sheridan/Clark/Glenwood. Rogers Park also has the metra that can get you DT extremely fast, faster than taking the red line or brown line from lakeview. It also has the best farmers market in the city. And some of the nicest beaches... And the closest neighborhood to Evanston, which people practically circle jerk to on here.
I find it ludicrous people on here will say stay away from Rogers Park, but they will gladly move to "west wicker park" aka East Humboldt Park and not bat an eye...
Plus you know...Rogers Park is affordable...for actual artists? not trendy hipsters.
OP I think you'll find what you are looking for around logan square/rogers park/edgewater.
Home -
Glenwood Ave Arts District
Mayne Stage
If people took opinions on cd the only place they would end up is naperville and lincoln park.
I agree with MannheimMadman- incredibly helpful/informative post! Thank you! I will definately do some serious exploring of the area(s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 11:03 PM

24 posts, read 39,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2
Everything you're saying is pointing in the direction of Logan Square. Logan is close to nightlife (Wicker), its less pretentious, more diverse (seems like a pretty good sized latino population) and still pretty safe.

I'd even venture that it seems like Logan is where refugees from Wicker wound up as they were either priced out of or felt the neighborhood changed too much. It seems like a similar but more "Rough hewn" crowd, to overgeneralize a bit.
Thanks! Much like you say, I percieved the Logan Square crowd as being very similar to the Wicker Park crowd (and actually meant to group it in with the "Wicker Park/Bucktown/etc."). I don't know that the bit of difference in the crowd (it being a bit more "rough hewn" as you say) compared with Wicker Park is really enough of a difference (or the right difference) I'm looking for, but I very much see where you're coming from and appreciate the input!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Be advised that when people say "Logan Square" in this context they really mean the portion northeast of the Milwaukee Avenue corridor and along the Logan Boulevard corridor. Western Logan Square isn't merely "rough hewn" but genuinely rough.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:08 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,887,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Be advised that when people say "Logan Square" in this context they really mean the portion northeast of the Milwaukee Avenue corridor and along the Logan Boulevard corridor. Western Logan Square isn't merely "rough hewn" but genuinely rough.
This really goes for a lot of Milwaukee Avenue, frankly. Once you get more than a mile west it does get more funky.

I happen to know loads of families, single moms and kids, etc. who are quite comfortable in these areas, but it's all about the individual and your tolerance levels. Criminals don't stay confined to where they live.

I can't emphasize enough the need to walk/bike around an area you're considering - check it out during rush hours and weekend nights so you know what the spectrum of activity is.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:18 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,577,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeshaveleaves View Post
Thanks! Much like you say, I percieved the Logan Square crowd as being very similar to the Wicker Park crowd (and actually meant to group it in with the "Wicker Park/Bucktown/etc."). I don't know that the bit of difference in the crowd (it being a bit more "rough hewn" as you say) compared with Wicker Park is really enough of a difference (or the right difference) I'm looking for, but I very much see where you're coming from and appreciate the input!

The logan square crowd is rough hewn only in the sense they use trust funds to look shabby instead of stylish like their hipster brethren to the southeast.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
The logan square crowd is rough hewn only in the sense they use trust funds to look shabby instead of stylish like their hipster brethren to the southeast.
you might want to distinguish between the Logan Sq natives and the transplants you're describing - it is definitely true there are plenty of people in Logan who are stupid/violent enough to shoot you for cutting them off in traffic.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:56 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
I still think the idea that most hipsters are trust-fund babies is nonsense. I've never seen any evidence to support such a claim.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I still think the idea that most hipsters are trust-fund babies is nonsense. I've never seen any evidence to support such a claim.
probably not, I think it's more a case they (as defined on the NW side, anyway) are single and in their twenties. so, they aren't exactly preoccupied with the future the way people with kids and solid careers are.

I harbor no resentment whatsoever (outside of the idiotic behavior on bicycles on Milwaukee Ave), but I do reserve the right to chuckle at people wearing clearly uncomfortable clothes like those bizarrely tight jeans.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:22 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,064,086 times
Quote:

Well obviously there isn't any hard evidence out there, but I've known quite a few hipsters in my days and while they all don't have trust funds they often come from well-off families. Hipsters are often broke, but they aren't poor and don't come from poor backgrounds.

Are there truly poor hipster-esque people out there? Sure. I don't think think they are nearly as nearly image-conscious as their better off counterparts.

Hipsters are middle class people rebelling against that lifestyle and in a way, aspiring to be poor, or at least appear to be less materialistic. Conversely, poor people are generally out there trying to get themselves he **** out of the hood.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:56 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,447,174 times
Quote:
I don't agree with it at all either. Say what you want about some of the fashion and music coming out of that scene (I hate it) but I know plenty of these people and I've only met a few who had any monetary support from their parents for living expenses, let alone a trust fund. And a few people on this forum feel a burning need to mention this little factoid every time the subject of hipsters is mentioned, but thet don't say a thing when people talk about neighborhoods like Lincoln Park and Lakeview, as if they find it more acceptable for kids living there to get free money from their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago