Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 08:22 PM

124 posts, read 219,694 times

Advertisements

Here it is, from the city itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 08:26 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Much prefer Rogers Park...the lake can't be beat, plus there is just more going on and quicker access via el into other cool areas. One of my favorite neighborhoods. I miss being closer to the lake and my next apt will probably be pretty close to it. It's cooler in winter and warmer in summer, maybe 5-10 degree difference, which is nice. I'm around mile and a half from the lake now, but I'd rather be within 1/2 mile off the lake and off the red instead of the brown even if it means a smaller place.

Last edited by grapico; 11-13-2011 at 08:35 PM..

Old 11-13-2011, 09:25 PM

110 posts, read 250,760 times
It's sort of like Lake View and Lakeview. Lakeview is a neighborhood in the official community area of Lake View. Old Irving park is a neighborhood in the official community area of Irving Park.

All of the official community areas have official boundaries set in place by the city. Chitownperson, the area you keep referring to as being Irving Park is not actually in the official borders of Irving Park.

Also, Irving Park does share a border with Portage Park. It does not border Belmont Craigin, which is not in normal walking distance for most people from any area in Irving Park. Furthermore, Portage Park is still statistically one of the safest community areas in Chicago, and for the last couple of years has been neck and neck with Irving Park in terms of violent crime.

Do not speak on that of which you do not know. Stick with your part of the city. Don't talk about mine.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:43 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,997 times
Very good, Payne222, you've proved me wrong... I can accept it when I'm wrong.

deadplant, I was wrong about the boarders, but I know Irving Park pretty well from experience, so I'll talk about it.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:13 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadplant View Post
It's sort of like Lake View and Lakeview. Lakeview is a neighborhood in the official community area of Lake View. Old Irving park is a neighborhood in the official community area of Irving Park.

All of the official community areas have official boundaries set in place by the city. Chitownperson, the area you keep referring to as being Irving Park is not actually in the official borders of Irving Park.

Also, Irving Park does share a border with Portage Park. It does not border Belmont Craigin, which is not in normal walking distance for most people from any area in Irving Park. Furthermore, Portage Park is still statistically one of the safest community areas in Chicago, and for the last couple of years has been neck and neck with Irving Park in terms of violent crime.

Do not speak on that of which you do not know. Stick with your part of the city. Don't talk about mine.

I see nothing to support this. City of Chicago website has Lake View as community area #6. Looking at the Official neighborhood map, I see Lake View, West DePaul, and Lake View East as neighborhoods in the official community area.

I think "LakeView" is just a way lazy people annotate the neighborhood on this forum.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:14 AM

110 posts, read 250,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I see nothing to support this. City of Chicago website has Lake View as community area #6. Looking at the Official neighborhood map, I see Lake View, West DePaul, and Lake View East as neighborhoods in the official community area.

I think "LakeView" is just a way lazy people annotate the neighborhood on this forum.
But to compare to what he was saying, it would be like someone saying that Lake View East has nothing to do with Lake View, that they're not even near each other, when in fact the neighborhood of Lake View East is a part of the official community area of Lake View.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:32 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadplant View Post
But to compare to what he was saying, it would be like someone saying that Lake View East has nothing to do with Lake View, that they're not even near each other, when in fact the neighborhood of Lake View East is a part of the official community area of Lake View.
Right, I agree. That would be nonsense.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:38 PM

The "East" in "East" lake view obviously indicates a specific geographical location in Lake View, while in "Old" in "Old" Irving Park does not indicate a specific location. Despite the fact that I was wrong, which I already admitted to, those are NOT comparable, and it's not hard to see the difference.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:47 PM

400 posts, read 957,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
Irving Park is also A LOT closer to Wrigley Field then Rogers Park is... There are shuttles that take people to Wriggly on a regular basis during baseball season, and it's like a 5 - 10 minute drive form Irving, so if the attraction is Wriggly, Irving Park wins hands down.

I've had friends move out of different parts of Rogers Park because of shootings and the general level of crime. Had a friend that lived close to Loyola, and moved because someone was shot and killed sitting in their living room, by a gun that was fired out side of their building, with a bullet that was meant for someone else. Lots of blue light specials, which are not good signs. Generally, there are pros and cons to each area, and the individual has to make up their mind what's important to them, but I don't see Rogers Park changing in any large way in the near future, due to the job situation in the city, and general economic climate. There's not a lot of investment going on, and most areas are just trying to stay above water.
I would rather take the EL to Wrigley than a shuttle. Buses arent fun.
Rogers Park wins on that count.

Not sure I believe your shooting story. A bit over the top.

Job situation and current economic climate?
Well Loyola is investing a decent amount of dough in the area,
Guess you arent really following the development in the area.
There is a new six flat apt going up at ashland just north of Morse
and also a four plus one on sheridan is being completely rehabbed
for millions with a new loyola cop station in it. Also the Loyola EL station
is being totally redone. The new streetlights have just been finished
on Morse, and so has the streetscape. Yeah not alot of investment.
Howard streetscape is in the works as well. Is that alone going to
turn Howard around? No but Howard is moving in the right direction.

Have you checked out Mayne Stage? Truly one of a kind
new anchor to Morse. Morse is back on the map...

Rogers Park has bucked the downturn and actually improved
during the current economic climate. Good rapid transit options like the EL and Metra.
A straight shot to downtown with LSD nearby.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
I would rather take the EL to Wrigley than a shuttle. Buses arent fun.
Rogers Park wins on that count.

Not sure I believe your shooting story. A bit over the top.

Job situation and current economic climate?
Well Loyola is investing a decent amount of dough in the area,
Guess you arent really following the development in the area.
There is a new six flat apt going up at ashland just north of Morse
and also a four plus one on sheridan is being completely rehabbed
for millions with a new loyola cop station in it. Also the Loyola EL station
is being totally redone. The new streetlights have just been finished
on Morse, and so has the streetscape. Yeah not alot of investment.
Howard streetscape is in the works as well. Is that alone going to
turn Howard around? No but Howard is moving in the right direction.

Have you checked out Mayne Stage? Truly one of a kind
new anchor to Morse. Morse is back on the map...

Rogers Park has bucked the downturn and actually improved
during the current economic climate. Good rapid transit options like the EL and Metra.
A straight shot to downtown with LSD nearby.
A few make overs and a 6 flat going up doesn't exactly constitute any significant sign that Rogers Park is turning around anytime soon, sorry!

Liking the El vs bus is completely subjective, so I guess that is a win for you and you alone. RP is still miles and miles farther from Wrigley. My preference would be to choose the bus over the urine scented red line from Howard any day, but that's my subjective preference.

The shooting over the top? I completely agree, it's absolutely insane, yet it still absolutely happened in Rogers Park. It doesn't really matter if you believe it or not, but it doesn't take a far stretch of the imagination to know that shootings in Rogers Park are not uncommon. I have a few more stories about shootings in Rogers Park that would make this one seem normal.

There are plenty of areas in Chicago that have "Good rapid transit options like the EL and Metra" that I, and many others wouldn't want to spend much time in. The west side has the green and blue lines, very convenient, but you wouldn't catch me dead venturing into some of those hoods, just like I'm not going to be spending much time hanging around Howard. Morse is not as bad as Howard, but ironically the shooting above happened a few blocks from the Morse EL stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago