Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 03:42 PM

400 posts, read 957,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
Irving park is relatively safe, but if you have a choice I would live more east of Kimball. You'd be closer to Ravenswood Manor, Horner Park, a quick drive or jog away from Lincoln Square... The more west you go of Kimall, the more "urban" is gets. There are quite a few places popping up on Irving Park Rd between California and Kimball, a couple of sports bars, deli, coffee shop... seems like it's beginning to attract some businesses and night life. It's no Lincoln Square, or even Rosco Village, but I'd imagine it could create a decent entertainment area for itself within the next 5 to 10 years, if the economy improves.

Rogers Park is a large area, some parts are safe, some are pretty sketchy. Had friends that lived in the sketchy parts and witnessed various shootings and gang related incidents. One friend was called a "white bi*ch" walking home from the red line... Ironic considering she was half Mexican, and looked it. West Rogers Park is considered a lot more desirable, and safer. Stay away from the Howard Red line stop.

West Rp = West Ridge. Also depends on the part of West Ridge.
Check out Devon and Leavitt. Thats not too desireable, that whole area
south of Warren park is the pitts. Overall I find Rogers Park much more interesting than Irving Park. Rogers Park has the beach/lake/loyola. Morse is coming along nicely (check it out since the streetscape makeover). Howard has a ways to go. , I can post the nytimes link from the "where are the white people in chicago" thread. Most of the city is patchy, thats true.

Even NOH is improving if you look at the Census data(its also the only part of RP that is still majority black). It didnt get bad overnight and it wont get better overnight. By far NOH is the worst part of Rogers Park (north of howard). Looking at the census data south Evanston is improving as well. Pottawottamie ? spelling Park even has a dog park now, thats the park at rogers by clark. Gentrification is occuring throughout Rogers Park, the redline is more desireable IMHO because it takes you to wrigley field. LSD is closeby, so driving downtown is pretty easy, except now with the construction.

I dont know tons about the Irving Park neigbhorhood, its by the highway,
adjacent neigbhorhoods portage park and belmont craigin arent doing so hot. The retail strip on Irving Park is okay. Youve got six corners.
what are the official borders? You do have a great magazine store at six corners.

Irving Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 09:44 AM

178 posts, read 370,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
keep in mind he's going to be working in naperville. would there be a worse commute that going from the NE side of the city to naperville?
Were I working in Naperville, I would live in Naperville. Or Downer's Grove, Wheaton, Lombard, or any other DuPage suburb. The city is just too far away and traffic in Chicagoland is terrible. If you want to be close to the city and still work in Naperville......I would investigate Forest Park or Oak Park. These suburbs have CTA access on both the Blue and Green Lines (be smart on both lines, but you should be fine) and they are much closer to Naperville. I agree with the above quote, short of living in Indiana and communting to Naperville, I don't think you could get much worse commute wise.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:37 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
West Rp = West Ridge. Also depends on the part of West Ridge.
Check out Devon and Leavitt. Thats not too desireable, that whole area
south of Warren park is the pitts. Overall I find Rogers Park much more interesting than Irving Park. Rogers Park has the beach/lake/loyola. Morse is coming along nicely (check it out since the streetscape makeover). Howard has a ways to go. , I can post the nytimes link from the "where are the white people in chicago" thread. Most of the city is patchy, thats true.

Even NOH is improving if you look at the Census data(its also the only part of RP that is still majority black). It didnt get bad overnight and it wont get better overnight. By far NOH is the worst part of Rogers Park (north of howard). Looking at the census data south Evanston is improving as well. Pottawottamie ? spelling Park even has a dog park now, thats the park at rogers by clark. Gentrification is occuring throughout Rogers Park, the redline is more desireable IMHO because it takes you to wrigley field. LSD is closeby, so driving downtown is pretty easy, except now with the construction.

I dont know tons about the Irving Park neigbhorhood, its by the highway,
adjacent neigbhorhoods portage park and belmont craigin arent doing so hot. The retail strip on Irving Park is okay. Youve got six corners.
what are the official borders? You do have a great magazine store at six corners.

Irving Park
Actually, the area you're talking about is Old Irving Park, while is a little closer to 6 corners. Portage Park and Belmont Craigin are quite a way away from Irving park and really have nothing to do with it, nor do they affect Irving Park in any negative or positive way... they're just too far away. A lot of people in Irving Park partake in Lincoln Square as a main area for close entertainment. Irving Park is also A LOT closer to Wrigley Field then Rogers Park is... There are shuttles that take people to Wriggly on a regular basis during baseball season, and it's like a 5 - 10 minute drive form Irving, so if the attraction is Wriggly, Irving Park wins hands down.

I've had friends move out of different parts of Rogers Park because of shootings and the general level of crime. Had a friend that lived close to Loyola, and moved because someone was shot and killed sitting in their living room, by a gun that was fired out side of their building, with a bullet that was meant for someone else. Lots of blue light specials, which are not good signs. Generally, there are pros and cons to each area, and the individual has to make up their mind what's important to them, but I don't see Rogers Park changing in any large way in the near future, due to the job situation in the city, and general economic climate. There's not a lot of investment going on, and most areas are just trying to stay above water.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:20 PM

928 posts, read 1,712,776 times
*yawn* For the last time, people, Old Irving Park is part of the Irving Park neighborhood. Do we have to make this announcement a sticky?

Old 11-13-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
*yawn* For the last time, people, Old Irving Park is part of the Irving Park neighborhood. Do we have to make this announcement a sticky?
Duh, NO, they are 2 distinct areas! Hence the difference in the name! If they were the same, they'd just be call IRVING PARK!

Old 11-13-2011, 02:17 PM

928 posts, read 1,712,776 times
Quote:
Duh, NO, they are 2 distinct areas! Hence the difference in the name! If they were the same, they'd just be call IRVING PARK!
Aside from how idiotic your logic is (you don't know what a subsection is?), you're just plain wrong. One is part of the other.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:29 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Old Irving Park is in Irving Park. Not a tough concept to grasp.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Aside from how idiotic your logic is (you don't know what a subsection is?), you're just plain wrong. One is part of the other.
We could go back and fourth where I call you an idiot... But it't pointless. I will say that old Irving is NOT a subsection but a different area. Just because they share a part of a name dose not make them the same. Now THAT shouldn't be a tough concept to grasp!

Old 11-13-2011, 07:27 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,902 times
Quote:
We could go back and fourth where I call you an idiot... But it't pointless. I will say that old Irving is NOT a subsection but a different area. Just because they share a part of a name dose not make them the same. Now THAT shouldn't be a tough concept to grasp!

You know you're pissing in the wind with your logic, yes? You're probably one of the few who subscribe to that logic.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
You know you're pissing in the wind with your logic, yes? You're probably one of the few who subscribe to that logic.
I'll just move my head slightly, and the p*ss will splatter on the other posters that hold the other logic... there, problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago