Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:53 PM

103 posts, read 225,382 times

Advertisements

How is this area? It is close to wrigley and even labeled as wrigleyville in many ads. its close to the el and somewhat affordable for a 1 bedroom. how is it? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 08:01 PM

81 posts, read 238,679 times
Actually it is located in the southern part of the Uptown neighborhood. You make the most of wherever you are. I suggest visiting, reading some stickies, and catching up on what is going on in the news. Anything can happen anywhere in Chicago.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:50 PM

226 posts, read 382,406 times
Positives: Cheap, near the lake, some beautiful old mansions in the neighborhood, easy access to many CTA buses that go down Marine and Lakeshore.

Negatives: Beware of Uptown, don't walk home wasted in the middle of the night, there are quite a few crackheads passing through, don't be surprised to hear late night gunshots in Clarendon Park. Not much nightlife (no, sorry the Green Mill doesn't count). With all of that said I never personally felt I was in immediate danger there.

I don't know what realty sites you've been looking at but Wrigley is quite a walk from Buena Park, I suppose it's different if you drive though (in which case beware of car break-ins). I certainly wouldn't live there again. It all depends on what your priorities are though.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:55 PM

61 posts, read 72,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
I don't know what realty sites you've been looking at but Wrigley is quite a walk from Buena Park,

Wrigley Field is 3 blocks from Buena Park.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:07 PM

116 posts, read 365,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsiderebel View Post
Wrigley Field is 3 blocks from Buena Park.
Yeah if he/she moves to the closest corner of buena park (irving/sheridan)

Other than that it's still a 15-20 minute walk from the heart of buena park to addison/sheffield

source: I used to live on broadway and buena and worked in wrigleyville

to the op: Yes it's a pretty safe neighborhood, boring though...I've walked through it late at night many times (2-5AM) the only thing thats sketchy is the area by broadway and cuyler, there is a mexican gang that gathers on that corner.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:10 PM

61 posts, read 72,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax419 View Post
Other than that it's still a 15-20 minute walk from the heart of buena park to addison/sheffield

That still is not a long walk by any stretch.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:35 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,323,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanTheman88 View Post
How is this area? It is close to wrigley and even labeled as wrigleyville in many ads. its close to the el and somewhat affordable for a 1 bedroom. how is it? thanks
That area is mostly OK, but please do not call it "Wrigleyville". It isn't.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:44 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
I've been in Buena Park for 3 years now and LOVE it. It has a beautiful historic housing stock, is quite safe and is fairly cheap. Lots of nice, big apartment and condo buildings on tree-lined streets. I've walked everywhere in the neighborhood at all hours and never had a problem - not that I'd go out telling people to do that anywhere in the city as a "good idea".

My only beef is I wish it had more restaurants and retail. It's sloooowly improving, but it could use some help. Two huge assets are the Jewel at Sheridan and Broadway, and the Target just north of Montrose. For a person without a car those are really nice assets. I also love Bar On Buena, and the 24-hour 7-11 on Broadway and Buena is handy.

I'm at Buena and Sheridan and can get to Wrigley in a little over 12 minutes, or out to clark street in around 15 minutes to the bars. It's VERY close. The Sheridan Red Line is also there, the 151, 36, 80, 135, 148, 146, and 144 bus lines.

Buena Park is actually a bit more classy than northern Lakeview as you go down Broadway, and it's certainly nicer than areas north of Montrose. People are always pointing out to me how close I am to the Wilson corridor, but I'm actually amazed at what a "wall" Montrose is as far as the crazies and the fairly upscale areas of Buena Park.

I'd say at least check it out. Awesome access to the lakefront and Montrose Harbor/Beach.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:32 PM

24 posts, read 38,639 times
I used to live in that area around Irving Park and Broadway and it was my favorite neighborhood to walk through besides Lakeview and Boystown, sticking to Sheridan or Marine Dr. Pretty quiet and safe until you hit Montrose. If you choose that area, the closer to Irving Park and the closer to the lake, the better. Broadway gets a little sketchy at times but I wouldn't even label it as unsafe until you hit Uptown, which isn't bad during the day but don't walk through it at night.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:55 PM

103 posts, read 225,382 times
yea well the place i had an appt. to see got rented 1 hour before my appointment time. great. it really is impossible finding a decent 1 br for under 900.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago