Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 09:18 PM

7 posts, read 21,580 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Chicago and considering subletting an apartment on N. Keystone between W. Berteau and W. Belle Plaine Ave. I didn't get to see the place because I'm not in town yet (I visited in May but I only passed through this area on the Blue Line to and from O'Hare); a friend of mine and her husband who already live in Chicago went to check it out for me and gave it a thumbs up and sent photos. They said the area seems fine, sort of like the Midwood neighborhood in Brooklyn. The current tenants said that they like the area and feel safe there, they are moving to be closer to work in the NW burbs. I like what I've read for the most part, I like cheap, good ethnic food and independent markets and produce markets. I don't need a lot of nightlife right now but I like that I can get to some via the Blue Line and I would probably take the Irving Park and Montrose buses a lot, but maybe not at night because I'm wondering if the walk from Montrose is safe -- okay, I guess that's my actual question -- if the area around Montrose, Elston and Pulaski is safe in general or should it be avoided after dark? I have done some research, I guess I'm looking for fresh answers. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 09:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Irving Park resident chiming in here. I wouldn't worry about walking to or from Montrose at night that far west. The problem part of Montrose is a few blocks east of there.

The Montrose/Pulaski/Elston intersection is generally safe. There is a tiny bit of late-night activity there with some neighborhood bars, a 24-hour diner that is temporarily closed, a well-known 24-hour drive-in shack a block or so away, a 4am bar a couple blocks away, et cetera. There are some decent ethnic dining options around there including a couple Middle Eastern cafes and restaurants, an Afghan place right at the intersection, a Peruvian place not too far away, a Moroccon joint down on Irving Park, a solid Italian place a few doors down from the Morrocan place, a few Mexican places of varying quality, a Yemeni joint a few blocks northwest, a few pizza options, and the like.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:24 AM

7 posts, read 21,580 times
Thanks, I was confused by warnings about living West of Kimball. Now if I could only be sure about the apartment itself...

Old 07-09-2013, 11:31 AM

Actually west of Kimball is the better part of Irving Park, particularly west of Central Park or so.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:04 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,927,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Actually west of Kimball is the better part of Irving Park, particularly west of Central Park or so.
So is the restaurant Mirabell is on the outskirts of Irving Park?

Old 07-09-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Yeah. Mirabell is on the Irving Park/Avondale border, on the Irving Park side. If you park in the K-Mart lot across the street (which you're allowed to do until 12:30am), your car is parked in Avondale while your butt is parked on a stool or in a chair in Irving Park.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:09 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,703,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yeah. Mirabell is on the Irving Park/Avondale border, on the Irving Park side. If you park in the K-Mart lot across the street (which you're allowed to do until 12:30am), your car is parked in Avondale while your butt is parked on a stool or in a chair in Irving Park.
Mass, if you are at all interested in German food, Mirabell is pretty much the best in Chicago. I love that place. We always go for my buddy's birthday to celebrate.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:29 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,927,566 times
[quote=Vlajos;30400326]Mass, if you are at all interested in German food, Mirabell is pretty much the best in Chicago. I love that place. We always go for my buddy's birthday to celebrate.[/QU

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
So I've heard, thanks. I've walked by it on Addison after attending a Cubs game on a number of Sundays when visiting Chicago, but I've never stopped in. I've been to Berghoff's downtown, and I've been to Uberstein's on North Clark ( near Wrigley), but never Mirabell. On my next trip, I'm going to try to get there.

Last edited by MassVt; 07-09-2013 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: separation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago