Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 10:55 PM

2 posts, read 25,814 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Chicago ASAP and hope to find a nice apartment for about $7-900. I've visited Chicago many times and have a brother who has lived in both Lincoln Park and the West Loop, so I'm not completely new to the city. After a lot of research and reading (this is a great board!), I think a place in Ravenswood or Sheridan Park within walking distance of the Ravenswood Metra stop would be ideal because 1) it's relatively affordable, 2) I can't stand long or stressful commutes and the Metra is fast, 3) the Brown line and Red line are close, 4) I work late and need a safe area, 5) I have a car and need easy residential parking (finding a space in Lincoln Park, even with a guest pass, got pretty old pretty fast), and 6) it's close to the shopping and energy of both Lincoln Square and Andersonville.

I have a list of about 20 potential apartments in the area but I'm having trouble narrowing them down. Some questions:

1) The boundary I've settled is bordered by Foster, Broadway, Montrose, and Western. Should I narrow this down? I'm not clear on the safety of some areas like, for instance, the area east of Ashland and north of Montrose. Would like to avoid sketchy areas, obviously.

2) Any other good neighborhoods that meet my needs (easy residential parking, fast and stress-free commute, reasonable rent, low crime, cool places to walk, etc.)? I picked Ravenswood mostly because of the sheer quantity of public transportation there, but if the CTA rush hour commute isn't too crowded or long during in other charming neighborhoods, I'd definitely search for places there as well.

I do plan to walk the area thoroughly and use my own judgment, of course. Just hoping to eliminate any obvious bad choices. Thanks a bunch for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 10:00 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,218,413 times
The area East of Ashland is a bit grittier, but I've always felt safe in that area. West of Ashland has a more residential feel, but there is still plenty of things to do along Broadway or Clark. Anything in the area you are describing is generally safe, but check Everyblock for crime stats around any place you are looking at.

Metra is great for commuting, but doesn't work so well during off hours and the weekends. Being within walking distance of the Red or Brown lines will be a big help, so keep proximity to the Montrose or Damen stops on the Brown line, or Argyle, Lawrence, or Wilson Red line stops in mind when looking for a place. Bucktown could also be a good area to check out - between the Metra Clyborn station and Damen or Western Blue line stops. There is more to walk to in that area but it is more expensive, $7-900 could be a little tight.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:18 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,817,868 times
If you are going to live in Sheridan Park (part of Uptown), stick close to the Ravenswood border on the west. Sheridan Park can get pretty hairy the closer you get to Broadway, and there is a fair dose of subsidized housing, rehab centers, and halfway houses sprinkled throughout the Malden/Magnolia area. Learn what these look like and avoid them.

The area of Uptown directly adjacent to Ravenswood, Lakeview, and Andersonville is quite nice (and many don't even recognize it as Uptown), but you do want to stick close to the neighborhood borders if you are new to the city! Central Uptown is not for newcomers or the faint of heart.

Most of Ravenswood/Lincoln Square is quite nice, and it's one of the safest neighborhoods on the North Side. Ravenswood does also have a smattering of subsidized housing (though quite a bit less than Uptown), so just beware of what you are moving next to. These buildings have a "look" about them in Ravenswood, and are usually low-rise ranchy looking things built in the 70s or 80s.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:24 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,817,868 times
For reference, here is my handy-dandy Uptown Map I've posted several times on here. Note that the Uptown Community Area border (dashed line) extends all the way to Ravenswood Avenue. So much of what people consider "Ravenswood" is actually Uptown (and a good chunk of "Andersonville" including the Hop Leaf!).

Old 12-01-2008, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 25,814 times
Thank you both for all the great advice. I've already eliminated some choices and made my search easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: