Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:13 PM

8 posts, read 8,887 times

Advertisements

Was considering the idea of getting a bartending job...
  • Have been told it's good to go the route of getting a "bartending certification" from a bartending "school". Does anyone know exactly how realistic it is to get a bartending job in the city with a certification like this, if one has no past bartending experience? Any tips on this matter, or on whether there's any specific bartending schools one should attend or avoid?
  • I know there can be a pretty large distincion between the pay rates of being a bartender at different establishments. Does anyone know how realistic it might be to get a WELL-paying job as a bartender with a certification and no experience within the next few months? (My definition of "WELL" would be rather liberal; I simply mean that I've heard the base pay can be as low as, like, $3/hour- I'd like to be able to make a good $25/hour, tips included. The bit of research I did would say this is pretty "standard" throughout the country, if not below. Then again, I'm not sure how reliable of a source this was, and I don't know what's regular for Chicago bartenders specifically.)
  • I've heard that being a bartender at a hotel is supposedly the best option. Is there truth to this? Any other opportunities one should keep an eye out for?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 10:16 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,346,966 times
If you are a hot woman, most places don't care if you can barely make a rum and coke.

Regardless, you could always try to find a place where you would mostly be slinging beers.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
If you are a hot woman, most places don't care if you can barely make a rum and coke.
I would consider myself an above average man- unfortunately I don't think this gives me the same advantage.
I look good in a wig?
Haha.

Quote:
Regardless, you could always try to find a place where you would mostly be slinging beers.
Any idea what kind of income this might entail? Do you think this is the best case scenario for a young man with no past bartending experience, even if I do have certification?

Thank you!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,346,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaveaquestion1 View Post
Any idea what kind of income this might entail?
Who knows? It depends on the volume of the bar, how well you talk to others,if many of your customers are of the opposite sex,etc.

It varies greatly man.

All I know is I would not move to Chicago only thinking you can be a bartender and still pay your bills (at least right away.)

Old 04-07-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Who knows? It depends on the volume of the bar, how well you talk to others,if many of your customers are of the opposite sex,etc.

It varies greatly man.

All I know is I would not move to Chicago only thinking you can be a bartender and still pay your bills (at least right away.)
Okay, thank you.
I will have a year's worth of rent expenses taken care of, so I'd really only be looking to feed myself at first, and hopefully be making enough to fully support myself after a year.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:26 AM

438 posts, read 1,701,180 times
Unless you know someone that is in the industry in the city it might be hard to find a bartending gig right away. Usually you have to work your way up, like start out working the door checking ID's or barbacking. The best way is to start calling now to see if anyone is hiring. Check the Chicago Reader for any bars that are hiring. Usually the Rush and Division bars post in the Reader that they are hiring and I bet you could make a killing at one of those bars if you can put up with the people that actually go to them. Not sure where your bartending certificate would come into play, I would think it would only help you in high end restaurants or hotels.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Unless you know someone that is in the industry in the city it might be hard to find a bartending gig right away. Usually you have to work your way up, like start out working the door checking ID's or barbacking. The best way is to start calling now to see if anyone is hiring. Check the Chicago Reader for any bars that are hiring. Usually the Rush and Division bars post in the Reader that they are hiring and I bet you could make a killing at one of those bars if you can put up with the people that actually go to them. Not sure where your bartending certificate would come into play, I would think it would only help you in high end restaurants or hotels.
Okay, thanks a lot for all the input!

Old 04-08-2011, 09:59 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,066,507 times
Generally you'll have to start as a barback, which is sort of a crappy job, but people do it to get their foot in the door. Otherwise getting your cert will help, but it wont guarantee anything.

In terms of pay if you get into a decent place its possible to make 40-50k a year. I remember in Chicago Magazine a few years back they did a profile of all sorts of people and what they did/earned. They had a bartender that made 60k, though I can't remember where he worked.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:12 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,222,862 times
I got a cert when I was in college and it ended up being somewhat helpful getting jobs. I mostly got the cert because the college required someone with a cert to be at parties where alcohol was served, but I ended up using it to pick up some work for an events company, working at conventions and things like that. I think most chain places also require a cert. They want bartenders to have it so they know about liability issues and carding more than as proof that you know how to make drinks.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:50 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,360,728 times
going along w/ what Jandur and Gunner said, you'll have better luck starting out at another position before moving up to being a bartender. I'd suggest applying to large chain restaurants that serve alcohol (e.g., Chilli's, Dave & Busters, Bar Louie, etc) and just trying to get your foot in the door any way possible, even if it's as a dishwasher or other menial job. some of these places may hire you as a bartender right away but in most cases, you'll have to work your way up. just realize that competition is stiff and the average bar may prefer a hot girl who has never been to bartending school over you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago