Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving from California to Chicago, seeking information on Chicago cost of living, housing costs, high rise apartment buildings, 1300 month rent

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 03:48 PM

3 posts, read 5,787 times

Advertisements

I am new to this site, but having been looking at posts for about a week and trying to find answers to questions before bothering you guys with the same things everyone else asks...but I still need help!!!

Before I start I guess I need to give a little info about what I am looking for...since I have discovered that I am very picky and particular about what I want. I am a 22 year old (female)single bartender/server from Carmel, CA. I have an almost 2 year old boxer (who acts like a puppy) and I am deadset on moving to Chicago in a couple months...after never visiting or even being around that part of the country before! But I love cold weather and snow and just actually being able to experience seasons in general...since we dont see much of a change here...and i am sick of the small tourist town life!!!

So heres what i have so far:
-I love the Wrigleyville area...I'm a huge baseball/sports fan, so I think i would be very happy living a few blocks away from the park...and I'm more into the laidback pub/sports bars rather then the upscale places...and it seems like that is what i would get there.

-I think i would feel much safer if i lived in a big highrise type of building with a 24hr doorman...since I will be moving out there by myself, know NOBODY and have never really lived in a big city before! Are there many highrises in the Wrigleyville area and that are walking distance to a dog park/wrigley/bars? I have looked on craigslist and have only really found a few big apartment buildings and less than a handfull have the 24hr doorman!!!
I know it could be asking a little bit too much, so if that wouldnt be possible i would be willing to give up my Wrigleyville plan and find somewhere that would be better for my dog to live (definitely need the dog park down the street!) and would be easier to find a job (bartending or serving) that would ideally also be walking distance...

-I am ok with spending about 1300 in rent a month...i have been saving up for awhile and think i will be fine if i find a job within the first month/2 months after moving.

I know i am a pain in the butt...thats why i tried to find the answers myself, but its hard when i have never been to chicago before! I would really appreciate ANY feedback!!! Thanks guys!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 04:05 PM

391 posts, read 1,303,542 times
I'm new to chicago but from what I've seen most the buildings seem to be around 5 stories. Its definitely a sports bar area as opposed to fany. 1300 would be plenty I imagine. Craigslist or an apartment finder company like apartment guys is probably your best bet on finding a place.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:18 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Sounds like Wrigleyville is absolutely perfect for your profession/crowd. There are many high-rises in the area, you shouldnt have a problem finding something that suits your needs and within your budget. I cant give you any names of places though (Im in the burbs), sorry! Have you thought about living downtown or somewhere around there right next to the Red Line which can whisk you to Wrigleyville/Wrigley Field any time you want? There are many gorgeous apartments/condos in the downtown/River North/Gold Coast area.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:25 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
"Wrigleyville" is part of a larger neighborhood called Lakeview, and there are MANY secure high-rises with doormen in the eastern part of Lakeview (by the lake). East Lakeview is easily within walking distance from Wrigley Field, so just look for something there. Also, Lakeview gets cheaper the further north you live, so look for anything near Addison and you will be a hop, skip, and jump from Wrigely Field (though you will be right in the heart of gay Chicago or 'Boystown', which has many young 20-something straight women living in it). $1300/month would get you a very nice 1-BR. In fact, you probably don't have to spend that much, unless you want a 2-BR.

There are many dog parks all over the north side. You can find info about them here: Chicago Park District | Dog Friendly Areas (http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/resources/dog_friendly_areas/ - broken link)

Old 02-14-2008, 04:59 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
I think you should visit....preferably now, while it is still cold and snowy. I think it would be good to experience another part of the country while you are young. But I think its a bit dangerous to say you "love" these things without really knowing that for sure. Few people really love extreme cold and snow for months, and for even more people "months" is the key word cause most people do like a change of seasons, but being able to drive into the mountains every weekend in california to see snow and cold (not real cold) is a lot different than living it day in and day out. And I think extreme cold to most californians is more like 28 degrees....so it really will be extremely cold for a long time.

Definitley go for it, you're young enough to move out here have fun and go home a few years later if you change your mind about loving it here!

I'd use some of those savings for a plane ticket right now....southwest has some great deals.

Your area of the world (Carmel) is a place many people only dream of living.....but I do understand it can get boring having such a perfect place. You might like it here, never know til you try, but my guess is it will make you appreciate home like never before, which is also a good thing...you will probably have more social opportunities here, which is important at 22 of course.

Anyway good luck,I wish I had that kind of money to spend in chicago at 22! you wont have many peers who have that sort of cash to spend on living.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:52 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerBabe07 View Post
I am new to this site, but having been looking at posts for about a week and trying to find answers to questions before bothering you guys with the same things everyone else asks...but I still need help!!!

Before I start I guess I need to give a little info about what I am looking for...since I have discovered that I am very picky and particular about what I want. I am a 22 year old (female)single bartender/server from Carmel, CA. I have an almost 2 year old boxer (who acts like a puppy) and I am deadset on moving to Chicago in a couple months...after never visiting or even being around that part of the country before! But I love cold weather and snow and just actually being able to experience seasons in general...since we dont see much of a change here...and i am sick of the small tourist town life!!!

So heres what i have so far:
-I love the Wrigleyville area...I'm a huge baseball/sports fan, so I think i would be very happy living a few blocks away from the park...and I'm more into the laidback pub/sports bars rather then the upscale places...and it seems like that is what i would get there.

-I think i would feel much safer if i lived in a big highrise type of building with a 24hr doorman...since I will be moving out there by myself, know NOBODY and have never really lived in a big city before! Are there many highrises in the Wrigleyville area and that are walking distance to a dog park/wrigley/bars? I have looked on craigslist and have only really found a few big apartment buildings and less than a handfull have the 24hr doorman!!!
I know it could be asking a little bit too much, so if that wouldnt be possible i would be willing to give up my Wrigleyville plan and find somewhere that would be better for my dog to live (definitely need the dog park down the street!) and would be easier to find a job (bartending or serving) that would ideally also be walking distance...

-I am ok with spending about 1300 in rent a month...i have been saving up for awhile and think i will be fine if i find a job within the first month/2 months after moving.

I know i am a pain in the butt...thats why i tried to find the answers myself, but its hard when i have never been to chicago before! I would really appreciate ANY feedback!!! Thanks guys!!
With $1300K a month, you can really live in most areas of the city. As people mentioned, Wrigleyville sounds like a good match for you and there are some highrises, especially if you look closer to the lake. I would actually recommend that you look in the area around Wiggly Field (dog park that is on 2645 N. Sheffield Ave). That puts you about 10 blocks from Wrigley Field (or closer if you live north of Wiggly/South of Wrigley). You can still walk to games, but you won't get all of the really loud drunkeness. Then, you are really in close proximity (walking distance) to both Lakeview and Lincoln Park in terms of good bartending.

Other things (dog related), you need to get your dog a license when you move City Clerk of Chicago - Available Services and they must have a dog park license before entering the park (Chicago Park District: Dog Friendly Areas (http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/resources/dogfriendlyareas.html - broken link)). Both licenses are really cheap, but they do give out tickets randomly if you don't have it (have only seen it happen once, but it was $500!).

As for finding apartments, search on this site for apartment finding services (they are free) and also look on craigslist. You should look about 6-8 weeks in advance of when you want to move. The only consideration you may have to make is that it might be hard to find a high rise in that area that allows dogs. So, you may either need to branch out in areas or not live in a high rise (I know a few do, but not all).

Old 02-15-2008, 12:34 AM

3 posts, read 5,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sounds like Wrigleyville is absolutely perfect for your profession/crowd. There are many high-rises in the area, you shouldnt have a problem finding something that suits your needs and within your budget. I cant give you any names of places though (Im in the burbs), sorry! Have you thought about living downtown or somewhere around there right next to the Red Line which can whisk you to Wrigleyville/Wrigley Field any time you want? There are many gorgeous apartments/condos in the downtown/River North/Gold Coast area.
Haha...thats another thing...this whole public tranportation thing is definitely going to be an issue at first! This red/purple/brown line stuff is way over my head!! I think it would be easier for now to just stick to living where i am going to want to hang out and work and leave the random public transportation visits for the weekends when i have time to be lost in the city all day!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I think you should visit....preferably now, while it is still cold and snowy. I think it would be good to experience another part of the country while you are young. But I think its a bit dangerous to say you "love" these things without really knowing that for sure. Few people really love extreme cold and snow for months, and for even more people "months" is the key word cause most people do like a change of seasons, but being able to drive into the mountains every weekend in california to see snow and cold (not real cold) is a lot different than living it day in and day out. And I think extreme cold to most californians is more like 28 degrees....so it really will be extremely cold for a long time.
I lived in oklahoma for a few years and experienced the whole life in snow senario....so i dont think the cold months will bother me too much! Especially when heat is free in most apratment buildings i have seen so far!!!! I know i should visit...but what kind of irresponsible twenty-something would i be if i did that? I just need a big change and like you said, im young enough, why not?? Haha...

I was looking at apratments next to the lake...like some of you suggested, but when i mapped it out on mapquest it looked so far away from what i was really going after. I guess i will only be able to tell for sure if i come see for myself, but that takes away from the adventure in all of this! Most of the highrises i have seen in that area have a weight limit on dogs...around 25-30 pounds....is that just something they say, or are they actually strict about enforcing those rules? Most places here say no dogs, but when you go look at the place they cave in...should i not expect that?

Thank you for the dog park list! I saw that earlier this week...but all of the parks just say Chicago, not the sub-division or area and it confused me becasue i had no idea where the addresses were on a map...maybe i really should just visit!!

Thank you all so much, I will try harder to find something on the east side of lakeview/wrigleyville with a doorman to protect me at night!!

Old 02-15-2008, 07:41 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
Quote:
Haha...thats another thing...this whole public tranportation thing is definitely going to be an issue at first! This red/purple/brown line stuff is way over my head!! I think it would be easier for now to just stick to living where i am going to want to hang out and work and leave the random public transportation visits for the weekends when i have time to be lost in the city all day!!!

I lived in oklahoma for a few years and experienced the whole life in snow senario....so i dont think the cold months will bother me too much! Especially when heat is free in most apratment buildings i have seen so far!!!! I know i should visit...but what kind of irresponsible twenty-something would i be if i did that? I just need a big change and like you said, im young enough, why not?? Haha...

I was looking at apratments next to the lake...like some of you suggested, but when i mapped it out on mapquest it looked so far away from what i was really going after. I guess i will only be able to tell for sure if i come see for myself, but that takes away from the adventure in all of this! Most of the highrises i have seen in that area have a weight limit on dogs...around 25-30 pounds....is that just something they say, or are they actually strict about enforcing those rules? Most places here say no dogs, but when you go look at the place they cave in...should i not expect that?

Thank you for the dog park list! I saw that earlier this week...but all of the parks just say Chicago, not the sub-division or area and it confused me becasue i had no idea where the addresses were on a map...maybe i really should just visit!!

Thank you all so much, I will try harder to find something on the east side of lakeview/wrigleyville with a doorman to protect me at night!!

Hello,
If you look near the lake in Wrigley (especially near Addison) you will be in walking distance to the field. You will, however, be farther away from a dog park. Most people I know who live in that area and have dogs (close to the lake) go up to Margate Park 4921 N. Marine Dr (about 13 blocks north). That is one of the nicer DP's in the city. As for whether or not people will budge regarding weight limit, private owners may (most won't budge from non dog friendly to dog friendly, but may budge on the weight limit) but property management companies won't budge on regulations if it's a regulation for the whole building. Also, many associations already have set rules, so the individual owners can't go against that if it says "no dogs."
Good point about the dog parks not saying the area of the city.
Here you go (for some):
Challenger Park (actually never heard of it, this is about 4 blocks north of Wrigley....may be a good choice for you)
Grant Park- South Loop
Hamlin Park- West Lakeview (this is my old hood and there are a ton of dog friendly rentals in the area, but they are non high rise and not close to the lake- I did walk to Wrigley though)
Wiggly Field- Lakeview/Lincoln Park
Wicker Park-Wicker Park

If you use an apartment finding service, just tell them your criteria and they should be able to help you out. You can then mapquest to the DP, to Wrigley, and also can look at Chicago Transit Authority | 1-888-YOURCTA to see about public transportation.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:09 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
There is a huge vintage high-rise at Belmont and Sheridan (southwest corner of that intersection) that allows dogs. And it has a huge field of grass a block away in "Lincoln Park" (the park, not the neighborhood) where many people run their dogs every day becuase it is largely unused due to drainage problems (though this is probably illegal). Also, there is a "dog beach" just north of there on the lake.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:20 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
eh, oklahoma is a few latitudes below chicago. But I dont want to discourge you. I've done a ton of moving and adventuring in my late teens and 20's. Sometimes it was great and sometimes not so much. The best experiences seem to be the ones where I had the lower expectations

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago