Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 03:15 AM

13 posts, read 17,156 times

Advertisements

Anyone who has lived in this city, and was duped into the " bartending school with placement " ... should know this thread well. We all know , aside from learning what's in what and the history of beer...most ( if not all) establishments do on the job training .They teach you their drinks , how they open and close , and their procedures. I just need to know how to you get someone to give you that chance or foot in.

Where does one go after " being certified"... to get a "entry " level bartedning position, for lack of better verbiage. ( bar back, and waitstaff I'm aware is the chosen route in) But I have noticed No one will hire you unless your a hot chick with a nice body, or you happen to be a dude who looks like a body builder.

( granted not saying I'm ugly or fat, no offense of course I have mad respect for all types) It's more like Zach Morris looking for a job that they want a Ronnie from Jersey Shore to do.

But I'm tired of my boring job, I want to bartend because I love people, the hours and the nightlife scene. Down the road I want to open a bar, but need that foot in with the experience and what not. So far , being in hospitality, I have dabbled in independent catering and guest bartending.( if that helps)

I'm tired of the bs interviewers saying all my work experience isn't relevant !Uhh last I checked, sales, customer service , hospitality and the knowledge of wine and beer... should be suffice ... not to mentioned a four year degree.... anyways ... pardon my rant . It's Saturday, I'm not super sober... but this has been on my mind for a while.

Gotta say , new to the posting/reading on here... but I'm addicted.
goodbye Facebook and Yelp.

Last edited by stiffboard; 09-25-2011 at 03:22 AM.. Reason: Reread, revised, reposted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 07:19 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,647,846 times
Lots of people that own bars are predisposed to not hire people that are at all interested in "opening their own place someday". Even if you don't say that is our plan, most experienced owners / managers can sorta pickup on that vibe and would rather hire a spacey hot body chick that spends her mornings in bed with no real "career" plans or some body builder type guy because they tend to be pretty reliable -- lack of any other job prospects tends to motivate these types to show up for their shift, not complain when the tips aren't great, and work extra at the drop of a hat...

With the down turn in the economy the last thing a bar owner wants is some ambitious soul to open a place that will compete with their struggling establishment.

I'd suggesting working out more, or getting a boob job if you're a chick. And try to come off as someone that doesn't have a plan to get through the week instead of somebody plotting to steal all the secrets of running a bar...

Old 09-25-2011, 02:20 PM

Thanks ....

Not trying to take over the world here , or to open a new bar with the help of the first job offer out there. Future plans are that maybe 10 + years down the road. But at this time I just want an enjoyable job , that doesn't require a lot of cubicles and ignorance. I would prefer serving drunks, and cleaning up after them.Not that it's relevant , but I do keep fit and in shape and am by no means in need of a boob job or anything else. I am that guy that won't complain about tips, hours ect . Did you not read the post? Maybe your stereotypical criticism got in the way of the original thread. Unsure.

If you are an owner, Best of Luck to you and your employees. You sound like a real winner

If not . Thanks for the advice Unfortunately, It really wasn't as helpful as you intended.

Last edited by stiffboard; 09-25-2011 at 03:05 PM..

Old 09-25-2011, 03:46 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,383,099 times
Hi Stiffboard - there was a thread about a year ago talking about how to get into bartending, and some of us posted our experiences in there with that. Yes it is tough to get in to, but one place that seemed to be open to hiring was Red Lobster in River North. I am not sure if that place is even still around but they would hire pretty much anyone; that is a good place to get your initial experience and then find a better gig. Just be prepared to wear black sneakers, black pants and a hawaiian shirt every for work, and to come home smelling like fish.

Another good place to start are hotel bars.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:56 PM

Thank You!

Your advice is appreciated! I have interviewed at a few hotels, it would appear that being the breakfast bartender is a good foot in the door. So here is hoping .
I'm not sure if the Red Lobster is still around , but Chili's, Fridays and other grill/pubs will definitely give you an opportunity, but it's been a server position, and then you learn the bar tending ropes on downtime... which in all is fine, just not what I'm gearing towards. But we'll see.

Again thanks and I will check for that previous post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago