Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 04:01 PM

75 posts, read 225,204 times

Advertisements

Can I get some input on living in these areas? It appears the pricing of condos is pretty good around there these days..
Looking for info on:
Safety?
Restaurants/Bars?
Conveniences such as grocery stores, public transit, etc...?
General age groups?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 08:05 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,074,338 times
One of my co-workers lives in the west loop and he loves it. It's more affordable than some of the other neighborhoods and a little less congested. He lives at Racine and Madison and safety over there isn't an issue. When you go a mile or two west then it starts to get a little iffy.

It seems like most people that live there are a little older and wanting to still live in the city without dealing with the craziness that comes with Lakeview or Lincoln Park. Plus you can buy a nice for a reasonable price and still be a 10 minute bus ride from work in the Loop.

I don't hang out there much but there are plenty of bars and restaurants. The streets aren't flooded on Saturday nights but its not a ghost town either. It's a good balance of things.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:41 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,752,363 times
I think Jandur has a pretty good handle on the pluses. Lots and lots of rather nice resturants, though not as much of a "walk from your lovely home" feel as you might get in Lincoln Square nor is it as much of an upscale feel as Lincoln Park.

The over hang of over building is a big deal that makes some buildings un-financeable (like much of South Loop), but that also means some places truly do sell for less than the cost of replacement. If you shop for a place with a garage or off street parking you can really get some terrific value with distressed sellers...

Old 04-08-2011, 10:53 AM

75 posts, read 225,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
It seems like most people that live there are a little older and wanting to still live in the city without dealing with the craziness that comes with Lakeview or Lincoln Park. Plus you can buy a nice for a reasonable price and still be a 10 minute bus ride from work in the Loop.
thanks- that's exactly what we are looking for. i'm 37 (hubby is 43) and we lived in Lakeview for many years, so while we still like to go out, we're up for a little bit quieter of a neighborhood.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:37 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,074,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal34 View Post
thanks- that's exactly what we are looking for. i'm 37 (hubby is 43) and we lived in Lakeview for many years, so while we still like to go out, we're up for a little bit quieter of a neighborhood.
It's probably a good spot then. Like Chet said there is plenty to do. The only "downside" is that you probably wont walk outside your door and have 20 stores at your disposal. At the same time if you do have a car, its so much easier to drive around there.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:15 PM

968 posts, read 2,679,115 times
I live in the area .. we have a Dominicks and a Jewel, and a 24 Hour Walgreens , plenty of restaurants in the Fulton market, Randolph, and Greektown corridors ..very safe .. Demographic is comfortable to affluent plus well educated , and as stated before, a bit more mature without being geriatric .. The West Loop wasn't as overbuilt as the South Loop, but there are plenty of bargains .. I would be in the West Loop -Fulton Gate area, which is the eastern flank ... You're close to the 'action' without living in the 'action' 24 x 7 ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: