Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 02:22 PM

75 posts, read 224,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiRNMom View Post
Have you looked into Roscoe Village? I used to live there and really loved it. It's pricier than the previously mentioned neighborhoods, but much closer to the heart of the city than the "outskirts" neighborhoods. There area also lots of young couples and families in the area. It's a nice neighborhood, and much closer to the things you are looking for.

A 10 minute drive west on Addison will get you to I-90.
I like Roscoe but it's too far from access to the Metra line we need. Ideally we want to be right by one of the stops or at least near a blue line, which can take us to the metra stop. That's why we are looking further west.
but thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 02:26 PM

13 posts, read 27,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal34 View Post
I like Roscoe but it's too far from access to the Metra line we need. Ideally we want to be right by one of the stops or at least near a blue line, which can take us to the metra stop. That's why we are looking further west.
but thanks
Ahhhhh ok, that makes sense. In that case, I'd go with Edison Park. It is definitely on the outskirts, but I think it would still be worth it. I personally love the neighborhood. We are seriously considering buying there.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:47 PM

35 posts, read 113,864 times
In the news today:

Chicago police have issued a community alert about a man who grabbed and fondled a teenage girl on the street in the Portage Park neighborhood on the Northwest Side.

Two 16-year-old girls were in the 5000 block of West Irving Park Road on March 17 when the man grabbed one of them in a bear hug and fondled her, then threw her to the ground and ran away, according to the alert.

The man is described as white, between 18 and 23, between 5-foot-8 and 5-foot-10 tall and weighing between 150 and 180 pounds. He was described as having "very white" skin and was last seen wearing a brown hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans.

Anyone with information should call Grand Central Area detectives at (312) 746-8282.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:48 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I don't think these are good options if the OP needs to get to Arlington Heights.

Also not so sure the attractiveness of barmaids is going to be important to most COUPLES trying to decide if there is some magically hidden neighborhood that offers good commute options to the burbs and rocking' nightlife... {pretty sure the market / developers / night club owners have not yet deemed childless 40 something couples that work in Arlington Heights a big enough niche to target their tastes yet}
From the post on the first page, the OP had said that she wasn't sure where work would take her a year from now, therefore I got the impression that she wouldn't be commuting to Arlington Heights. As far as the attractive Polish bar girls, I wasn't using that as a justification for the place being good/saying that the OP and her significant other would be looking to pick up girls, just an observation of the types of people that frequent the bar.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllNoize View Post
In the news today:

Chicago police have issued a community alert about a man who grabbed and fondled a teenage girl on the street in the Portage Park neighborhood on the Northwest Side.

Two 16-year-old girls were in the 5000 block of West Irving Park Road on March 17 when the man grabbed one of them in a bear hug and fondled her, then threw her to the ground and ran away, according to the alert.

The man is described as white, between 18 and 23, between 5-foot-8 and 5-foot-10 tall and weighing between 150 and 180 pounds. He was described as having "very white" skin and was last seen wearing a brown hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans.

Anyone with information should call Grand Central Area detectives at (312) 746-8282.
UGH! fortunately, i was barely considering PP anyway. was just curious about it. thx!

Old 03-30-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Ahhhhh ok, that makes sense. In that case, I'd go with Edison Park. It is definitely on the outskirts, but I think it would still be worth it. I personally love the neighborhood. We are seriously considering buying there.
I have friends who live there that love it. If you dont mind me asking, what area are you in now?

Old 03-30-2011, 05:51 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllNoize View Post
In the news today:

Link?

Old 03-30-2011, 09:03 PM

13 posts, read 27,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal34 View Post
I have friends who live there that love it. If you dont mind me asking, what area are you in now?
I live in Schorsch Village now (Harlem and Addison/Belmont area). I don't want to stay here. The public school really isn't what I'm looking for, and I've seen a lot of changes in the last few years in the neighborhood. I grew up in the Portage Park neighborhood. Honestly, I wouldn't want to live there either, for the same reasons. My parents still live there and can't believe how much the neighborhood has changed.

To me, because I have kids that will be going to school in a few years, the schools are my main priority. That's why we are looking at the Oriole Park neighborhood, Edison Park, and some parts of Norwood Park.

Edison Park is definitely my favorite area, with the most restaurants, bars, shops, etc. I get a really good feeling from the neighborhood in general, if that makes sense. I like the parks in the neighborhood as well. People seem to care about the neighborhood and at least from what I've seen, there's a sense of community. Lots of Irish, lots of city workers.
None of these neighborhoods compare to Lakeview and Lincoln Park as far as the "city" feel, but I'd say Edison Park is the closest? Either way, for me, it's more of a school issue.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:11 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
Quote:
I live in Schorsch Village now (Harlem and Addison/Belmont area). I don't want to stay here. The public school really isn't what I'm looking for, and I've seen a lot of changes in the last few years in the neighborhood. I grew up in the Portage Park neighborhood. Honestly, I wouldn't want to live there either, for the same reasons.
It is a shame what is happening to Portage Park. It really is.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:06 PM

537 posts, read 1,035,337 times
Quote:
None of these neighborhoods compare to Lakeview and Lincoln Park as far as the "city" feel, but I'd say Edison Park is the closest? Either way, for me, it's more of a school issue.
West of California I'd say you are correct. If we stay in the city when we move, Edison Park is on the short list unless we find a screaming deal in Roscoe Village or Lincoln Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago