Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 02:58 PM

202 posts, read 271,037 times

Advertisements

I like nontraditional toppings as a novelty now and then (white pizzas in particular, can be tasty), but to me, when I really crave pizza, I'm craving something with tomatoes and marinara and spices and salty sausage and mushroom toppings.

All styles of pizza have their merits, but I do have a special love for deep dish (total crust girl, what can I say, and thumbs up to the crushed tomatoes and upside down topping order). Of the biggie Chicago shops, I give the thumbs down to Giordano's and Gino's and Uno in favor of Lou Malnati's. I did love me some Calo, when I lived in Andersonville, though, and it was closer than Lou Malnati's. We also ate at Gulliver's on Howard a good deal, but I think that was more to gawk at the decor, I don't remember their pizza being outta this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 03:07 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Blah blah blah. You're the one who just had to take the opportunity to respond to someone's Chicago-specific question to tell them you have to leave Chicago to get what they're looking for. Pot to Kettle: "BLACK!"

But since this thread is already well underway, I guess I'll add my two cents.

Best thin-crust: Piece

Best NY-style: Bacci

Best pan-style: Pequod's

Best Chicago-style stuffed: Calo

Sorry to hear you don't like Gino's East, it's actually one of the only two "chain" places that make really good stuffed pizza IMO, the other being Edwardo's. Never was a big fan of Giordano's and I can't stand Pizzeria Uno. Still, Calo up in Andersonville beats them all for stuffed.
It's a bit different when most of my Chicago posts are very positive, just as they are most places...mixed, but positive.

Can't say the same for you Drover.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Let me get this straight? IM the mean-spirited and negative one? Hmmm, who has more rep points? And Im not the one who came on here, bashed our pizza. I only get "mean-spirited and negative" when people become hypocritical. Seriously, re-read your post and tell me it isnt negative. This is a best-CHICAGO-pizza, not best NY pizza thread. Just thought Id clue you in on that interesting tidbit.

Lol...I don't even know what rep points are? Am I supposed to be competing for some sort of rep points?

"Our" pizza. No...it is Chicago pizza. You are a person(possibly) not a pizza.

My post was in jest unlike most of yours....my posts on this forum speak for themselves.

I hold the opinion that I do not prefer any Chicago pizza. Any pizza is serviceable enough for me, but not a fan of Chicago pizza.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
isn't it based on preference? this seems like a silly thing to argue.

i wouldn't say chicago's pizza is superior. i'd like to try it - i loathe the idea of deep dish, but i'll try other varieties. i'm a new yorker so of course i'd want to find places that serve "new york style" pizza.

when is the last time you've had ny pizza and where did you have it?? there are some bad pizza joints, even here in nyc (see your colorful description above). ny pizza is totally a meal; i'm never left feeling hungry. but i guess it depends on one's appetite. but there is "east coast" pizza and then there is ny pizza. "east coast" is a tad broad. and brooklyn can kick the other areas' behinds, hands down. come on - it's one of the only things we get right out here. pizza.
Welcome to Steve-O's world. He argues and makes everything Chicago vs this or that in nearly every post.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
It's a bit different when most of my Chicago posts are very positive, just as they are most places...mixed, but positive.

Can't say the same for you Drover.
Here's the deal, sport: when someone asks for an opinion about a place, I give my honest assessment of it. If that means I give a negative assessment, so be it. Some places, IN MY OPINION (and that's what we're sharing here, right?), don't deserve a positive assessment. And I haven't given that many places a flat negative assessment despite your claim.

Now, do you want to talk about pizza or do you want to talk about me? Because if it's the latter, take it to PM. I'm done talking about this here.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Strangely enough, Metromix just posted a video on their website today about this very subject. Their Top Four picks (in no particular order) are Pequod's in Lincoln Park, Lou Malnati's (various locations), Gullivers in West Ridge, and Louisa's in Crestwood.

Oh, I almost overlooked a spot... I mentioned Piece for thin crust... but for more "down-to-earth" thin-crust it's hard to beat Doreen's down in Hegewisch.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:35 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Strangely enough, Metromix just posted a video on their website today about this very subject. Their Top Four picks (in no particular order) are Pequod's in Lincoln Park, Lou Malnati's (various locations), Gullivers in West Ridge, and Louisa's in Crestwood.

Oh, I almost overlooked a spot... I mentioned Piece for thin crust... but for more "down-to-earth" thin-crust it's hard to beat Doreen's down in Hegewisch.
I love Malnati's. Strangely I like their thin crust alot better than their thick crust. I had family out from AZ, that used to live here, and we went to Malnatis in Naperville. It was great watching my FIL take his first bite. I caught his eyes rolling back in his head before they shut. LMBO. Oh, good times. I laugh at his misery in Scottsdale, their pizza is horrid. Not-even-good-as-Pizza-Hut-horrid.

Crap, my stomach is grumblin from all this pizza talk.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
Welcome to Steve-O's world. He argues and makes everything Chicago vs this or that in nearly every post.
Whats wrong with arguing? I argue FACTS, thats my thing. If people wanna lie about Chicago and Illinois in general (which happens all the time), Im right there to correct em. If they wanna argue, I do.

Whoop-de-frickin-do.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:35 PM

202 posts, read 271,037 times
My thing with Chicago pizza, and one reason deep dish appeals more, is that to me, thin crust is thin crust pretty much wherever. Sometimes it's floppy and bendy, sometimes it's thin and crispy, depending on where, but thin crust is kinda generic to me. Deep dish, on the other hand, is quintessentially indicative of Chicago, to me.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:39 PM

55 posts, read 274,733 times
Quote:
Blah blah blah. You're the one who just had to take the opportunity to respond to someone's Chicago-specific question to tell them you have to leave Chicago to get what they're looking for. Pot to Kettle: "BLACK!"

But since this thread is already well underway, I guess I'll add my two cents.

Best thin-crust: Piece

Best NY-style: Bacci

Best pan-style: Pequod's

Best Chicago-style stuffed: Calo

Sorry to hear you don't like Gino's East, it's actually one of the only two "chain" places that make really good stuffed pizza IMO, the other being Edwardo's. Never was a big fan of Giordano's and I can't stand Pizzeria Uno. Still, Calo up in Andersonville beats them all for stuffed.
What's the difference between pan pizza and Chicago-style pizza?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago