Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:12 AM

4 posts, read 11,605 times

Advertisements

I'm a high school student from Orange County who is seriously considering moving to Chicago for school. (I was accepted by Northwestern) I've visited several cities (NYC, San Francisco, LA, San Diego, Seattle, Boston, San Jose) and have developed some definite preferences.

My favorite city so far has been Boston. I loved the historical aspect, as well as the educated feel of the city. I am someone who values etiquette and style and I am someone who values the "finer things."

My least favorite city so far has been Seattle. I disliked the casual feel of the city, and the tech/engineering aspect of the city.

I'm familiar with the weather in cities like Chicago, but would love more information about how Chicago compares to other major cities, especially those above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 12:15 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,341,538 times
There are probably 50 threads comparing Chicago to other cities in the City vs. City Forum. Do a search there.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/

Old 02-06-2011, 12:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissak334 View Post
I'm a high school student from Orange County who is seriously considering moving to Chicago for school. (I was accepted by Northwestern) I've visited several cities (NYC, San Francisco, LA, San Diego, Seattle, Boston, San Jose) and have developed some definite preferences.

My favorite city so far has been Boston. I loved the historical aspect, as well as the educated feel of the city. I am someone who values etiquette and style and I am someone who values the "finer things."

My least favorite city so far has been Seattle. I disliked the casual feel of the city, and the tech/engineering aspect of the city.

I'm familiar with the weather in cities like Chicago, but would love more information about how Chicago compares to other major cities, especially those above.
There is a definite "finer things" side of Chicago, but as a whole we're not exactly on the leading edge of style and refinement. There are people who wear their wealth (or pretensions thereof) on their sleeve, there plenty who are comfy in jeans and a sweatshirt, and there's a whole bunch in between. There is still a lingering meat-and-potatoes culture here, though if you stick to the north side and near northwest side of town, you won't see much of it. That's where you'll also find the more highly educated/professional set. Chicago is somewhere between the conservative, button-down style of Boston and the "relax, dude" free spirit of the Pacific Northwest, though it leans more toward the former.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:24 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,280,619 times
Melissa is a highschool student that does not live in a large town nor one of 10M people. What advice would you give her?

Old 02-06-2011, 05:53 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,341,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Melissa is a highschool student that does not live in a large town nor one of 10M people. What advice would you give her?
She should come visit before deciding to move.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:52 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,192,341 times
First of all, Northwestern and Evanston are a little insulated from Chicago, which is good.

As someone who moved here, I find Chicago less pretentious than other cities, mainly due to its factory history. That is good an bad. It positively revels in a blue collar atmosphere and uses this as an excuse for some educational shortcomings.

What's different about the culture in Chicago is that it has maintained its status as an immigrant city. There are fewer ethnic enclaves than before but still great ethnic variety and resources for history and information.

Nevertheless, the high cultural outlets like dance and symphony remain for those who choose to take advantage of the.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,751,126 times
Given the choice I'd pick Boston since it's location offers more opportunities to visit other places while there. Chicago feels stranded a lot of the time to me. I think there is probably a stronger feel to 'student life' there too.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:27 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,530,240 times
Eh... screw the cities, they are all fine.
Where else did you get accepted to?
Northwestern has national reputation, so being there for 4 years won't limit you to Chicago after wards if you don't like it. I would say a CHECK as a definite option. I would give completely different device if you were considering going to UIC for instance.
Now, what other schools are you accepted to?
There is nothing in Seattle or San Diego with the national rep of Northwestern. There are in NYC/SF/Boston though.

Coming from OC... uhh, have you been to NYC Boston or Chicago in January? You might be in for a shock. Not that you can't handle it, but I know for some, the winter isn't worth it to them even if they got into Harvard. Are you ready for 5 months straight where the low temp is at or below freezing? I grew up in FL so I know many people who have that feeling. My friend from Niger, who lived in FL...went to Boston College for one year then transferred because they couldn't handle it. I know dozens of people with these experiences (I know a lot of people in CA and FL) so... just a word of warning. Coming from OC, you'll deal with the double whammy of "new weather"... cold winters plus hot and humid summers, both of which you aren't used to I am guessing.

Last edited by grapico; 02-06-2011 at 12:42 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 02:57 PM

70 posts, read 268,196 times
As someone who was born and raised in Boston, and just spent the last 3.5 years of my life living in Chicago...

Chicago winters are a lot worse than Boston (although both suck). And Chicago is a much more laid back, less pretentious/snobby city than Boston. Chicago is a blue collar, "good ole' Midwestern" city, Boston think it's the "hub of the Universe." I'd rather be in Chicago over Boston, if it weren't for the winters, the population, and being stuck in the middle of the country w/out mountains or oceans nearby. Quality of life overall is very good in both places.

Anthony Bourdain said there are only two true "cities" in this country, NYC and Chicago. I have to agree with him. Chicago can hold it's own to NYC in almost every category.

Chicago is a lot cleaner than NYC and Boston. The pace of life is chiller there. And the cost of living is substantially cheaper than Bos or NYC.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:04 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,296,868 times
Chicago is a blue collar and laid back town and it permeates the city, even on the north side. The night life de rigueur for an exclusive hood like Lincoln Park is a baseball cap and jeans. However, this is a city of 3 million people,and laid back it may be, you can find a hoity-toity scene, though I don't know how easy it is for a California teen to break into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago