Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 07:34 AM

3 posts, read 19,574 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family and I really enjoy visiting Chicago's various ethnic neighborhoods. What I haven't done yet is visit any predominantly african american neighborhoods.

Any suggestions on places to go and things to do?

For context, we are a family with a teenager (13) and young one (4) so we won't be doing music/nightclubs/bars type things. I'm mostly interested in Saturday/Sunday daytime activities. Walking around the neighborhood, visiting shops, eating out.

Mostly looking to get a feel for the people and place more than anything else. Tourist attractions are fine, but we're happy with no tourist attractions at all - we like just experiencing a different place/culture/life.

Related, we are also very interested in religion, and my wife has always loved gospel singing. Are there predominantly black churches that are welcoming to respectful visitors on a Sunday morning?

Of couse, safety is always a consideration, both in the neighborhood as well as routes to and from.

Any suggestions are very appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 11:16 AM

289 posts, read 897,896 times
I would recommend Apostolic Church on 63rd Street as an example of a mega church in the community. They would welcome you as a visitor without any problems. Do not go THIS SUNDAY as the Pastor Emeritus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_M._Brazier died earlier today and it will be on jam.

If you want to go to a restaurant and be surrounded by black folks in a natural environment then check out Valois Restaurant or the place next door. You could also go to Chicago's Home of Chicken & Waffles - Chicago, IL, 60653 - Citysearch (http://tinyurl.com/23b627q - broken link) . As far as a place where you can walk around and experience black folks being black folks...It's hard to answer without throwing a question back at you. What do you want to see? Do you want to see white t-shirts and baby strollers are are you looking for a black version of the north side with black people jogging, shopping, rollerblading and walking dogs? Cause I could direct you to many places of the former and not too many of the latter.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:02 PM

3 posts, read 19,574 times
Thanks for the response. I will definitely check out your suggestions.

As for the type of neighborhood, I'd say any type of neighborhood that is safe and where an outsider would not be unwelcome. Would that be the later of your two catagories. (though you made it sound kind of yupie...) An average middle class/working class neighborhood with people just livinig their daily lives.

Me, personally - I'd go anywhere that was safe to be. I've traveled many places internationally as well, and it pains me that I cannot visit places like Yemen without significant safety concerns.

One of the hardest things me to figure out in a place I don't know is how broadly I can explore without getting myself into a place/situtation that is unsafe.

Just to be clear - no racial overtones to that observation. As a mixed race family (most folks would probably guess that we're hispanic, though that's only partly right) we've had the same discussion about many places (i.e. recently in certain areas of the South where white supremacist groups were active).

9 times out of 10 we appear to be outsiders regardless of what the majority race in the community is, so we're thoughtful and careful about any place we are going, particularly with kids.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:06 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,730,612 times
Bronzeville! It was historically the population center of the African American leadership in Chicago.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:12 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,550,887 times
Bronzeville's a great start, since there's already been some groundwork to highlight the area's history for tourists. I'd start with the city tourism office's offering:
Bronzeville | Chicago Neighborhoods | Explore Chicago

It can also be paired with an exploration of Hyde Park, where you'll find the DuSable Museum. I don't think either area presents much of a safety concern, particularly during the day.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:22 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,320,127 times
Id suggest Bronzeville( douglas and Grand Boulevard Neighborhoods), Hyde Park/kenwood, South Shore. These neighborhoods have Alot of history in them.

mas23

Old 10-24-2010, 06:30 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,289,865 times
You said you enjoy the ethnic neighborhoods. If you have not visited Chinatown it's very interesting. It is part tourist, part home for many, and part other business like non-traditional medicine shop, grocery store, church and great food.

http://www.chicagochinatown.com/

Old 10-24-2010, 01:53 PM

92 posts, read 235,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
You said you enjoy the ethnic neighborhoods. If you have not visited Chinatown it's very interesting. It is part tourist, part home for many, and part other business like non-traditional medicine shop, grocery store, church and great food.

Welcome to Chicago Chinatown
The OP mentioned experiencing African American culture, with additional interest in the black church. I don't think Chinatown will suffice.

I'd suggest South Shore, Pill Hill or Evergreen Park. There are nice family restaurants in these areas; not to mention local businesses. For church, I'd recommend Christ Universal Temple.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:10 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,320,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJbust View Post
The OP mentioned experiencing African American culture, with additional interest in the black church. I don't think Chinatown will suffice.

I'd suggest South Shore, Pill Hill or Evergreen Park. There are nice family restaurants in these areas; not to mention local businesses. For church, I'd recommend Christ Universal Temple.
Evergreen Park? Thats an overwhelmingly Irish community with some black people...

Old 10-24-2010, 02:31 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,081,560 times
Evergreen Park?? Maybe at Walmart or The Plaza, but the town overall has a relatively low percentage of blacks and absolutely no history as a black area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago