Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 04:12 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,658,708 times

Advertisements

That's just awful and disgusting. Hopefully that was just one bad apple within the Taxi Commission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 05:25 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,340,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
but now I'm wondering if this is maybe a common danger for late night/early morning taxi rides when a girl is by herself?
I have heard of it happening a couple of times, but this is over my entire life living here. The odds are not great that it could happen. It's too bad you could not have reported the guy, he needs to be out of the cab and in jail.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:39 PM

172 posts, read 438,564 times
That happened to my friend's mom. I don't really remember the details but she was sexually assaulted. I don't know if it was late at night but I think it was. One reason I never take a cab alone especially late at night. I have been with another person in a cab and the cab driver made me feel very uncomfortable. And you are right that you should have been with more than one friend or with a friend that you can trust. I'm glad you are ok.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,482,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinsessa View Post
That happened to my friend's mom. I don't really remember the details but she was sexually assaulted. I don't know if it was late at night but I think it was. One reason I never take a cab alone especially late at night. I have been with another person in a cab and the cab driver made me feel very uncomfortable. And you are right that you should have been with more than one friend or with a friend that you can trust. I'm glad you are ok.
Thanks, I appreciate it.
I haven't taken a taxi since, but I guess I shouldn't have to worry about it happening again.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:02 PM

17 posts, read 51,907 times
I'm really sorry this happened to you. I used to work in the bar industry so lots of late night cabs home alone. Sometimes sober, sometimes drunk. I have never had a problem. Now that I'm older and more paranoid and a mom I don't use cabs very much. The odd time I do I text the number to a friend or even post on FB "I'm in cab 1234". Maybe a bit extreme but if anything happened the f***er would get caught.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:11 AM

44 posts, read 270,437 times
Okay aragx6 don't start hating people, I know I'm ole school. But RULE #1 GIRLS ALWAYS STICK TOGETHER. Never but never leave the person you came with come together, leave together.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:00 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses. I didn't report it because of mixed feelings at the time (embarrassment was one of them) and now since it's been a while and no rape actually took place, I don't think it'd be worth reporting, plus I don't remember his cab number. If this ever did happen again (which hopefully it never will), I'll report it.

I was sitting in the back, but then he told me to sit in the front and I was just very naive (and a little drunk) at the time and I wasn't thinking clearly. He also didn't turn his meter on, which should have been a warning sign, since I asked him to take me to Evanston and that's a lot of miles. (Whew that would've been an expensive cab ride, another reason I'm glad that I went back to my friend.)
That's awful, I've never heard of anything like that happening. But yes - a cab driver will NEVER tell you that you have to get in the front seat with him/her. Normally they don't want you in the front anyway.

Also if that meter doesn't click on right away, something is fishy.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:10 PM

51 posts, read 81,049 times
You live in or near a big city. Get some mace. Im a big guy but when im out walking with my wife past 10pm she has her mace in her hand. Nothing bad has happened to us but its best to be prepared.

Excalibur stays open past 3 o.o

Old 01-07-2011, 01:15 PM

110 posts, read 250,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonesdef View Post
You live in or near a big city. Get some mace. Im a big guy but when im out walking with my wife past 10pm she has her mace in her hand. Nothing bad has happened to us but its best to be prepared.
When I took self-defense from a police officer in high school, she told us to stay away from things like pepper spray because you are more likely to injure yourself with it then the attacker.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:17 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadplant View Post
When I took self-defense from a police officer in high school, she told us to stay away from things like pepper spray because you are more likely to injure yourself with it then the attacker.
How do you injure yourself with pepper spray? It's not a difficult thing to wield.

I have one on my keychain and when walking alone I always have my hand poised near my bag ready to grab it if necessary.

Were someone to try and rob me, I'd give them whatever they wanted. But if they try and take you somewhere, you're going to have to fight. Eyeballs and nuts. Eyeballs and nuts. Just repeat that to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago