Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 10,318 times

Advertisements

So I have a rather unusual scenario on my hands. I moved to Chicago from Ohio around 3 years ago & have never gotten IL plates. I've racked up 5 parking tickets in the past 2 years. One of which is in "Final Determination" and is older than a year. The other 4 tickets never went into "final determination" & are ALL older than 3 months, and never doubled. It's like they are in limbo or something.

So my questions are: Has anyone ever gotten a boot with out-of-state plates? Is my car eligible right now for the boot? Do you think these other tickets have to be paid, or since they haven't gone into final determination maybe they never will...

I'm worried at the first of the year or something that all the tickets will double and I'll automatically be boot eligible at that point.

I realize I'm playing with fire on this matter but, times are tough and I don't have extra hundreds of dollars to pay these money hungry parking enforcers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 02:47 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,617,107 times
You won't find much sympathy around this forum for those who don't pay your parking tickets.

If you have two parking tickets older than a year that are in final determination, you are eligible for (and probably will be) booted. I would doubt that has anything to do with where your plates are from.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Why not continue not paying your parking tickets and let us know how it turns out.

Aw what the heck, I'll save you the trouble. Of course your car can be boot-eligible. Why wouldn't it be just because you have out-of-state plates?

Old 12-17-2010, 05:58 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,334,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grayweim View Post
I realize I'm playing with fire on this matter but, times are tough and I don't have extra hundreds of dollars to pay
Pay enough of the tickets so your vehicle is no longer boot eligible and then get on the payment plan for the rest.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:06 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,638 times
Oh and figure out how to park properly while you're at it. Plenty of us have no trouble parking without getting tickets.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:27 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,849,609 times
Quote:
I moved to Chicago from Ohio around 3 years ago & have never gotten IL plates.
Maybe its none of my business, but why are you still using the Ohio plates? Is insurance cheaper that way?

I also moved from Ohio but we had new plates on both cars within a few months.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:11 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,182,253 times
Expired out of state plates will get you a ticket in Chicago.

Tickets on out of state plates will get you a boot in Chicago.

Maybe you're too young to recall, but in '76 folks laughed when Hamilton Jordan got the boot in DC on his car registered with GA plates. Even though he worked for the president.

Technically, if you reside in IL more than six months, you are supposed to obtain an IL driver's license.

An IL driver's license but out of state plates will get you a ticket in IL.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:56 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,803 times
Quote:
So I have a rather unusual scenario on my hands. I moved to Chicago from Ohio around 3 years ago & have never gotten IL plates. I've racked up 5 parking tickets in the past 2 years. One of which is in "Final Determination" and is older than a year. The other 4 tickets never went into "final determination" & are ALL older than 3 months, and never doubled. It's like they are in limbo or something.

So my questions are: Has anyone ever gotten a boot with out-of-state plates? Is my car eligible right now for the boot? Do you think these other tickets have to be paid, or since they haven't gone into final determination maybe they never will...

I'm worried at the first of the year or something that all the tickets will double and I'll automatically be boot eligible at that point.

I realize I'm playing with fire on this matter but, times are tough and I don't have extra hundreds of dollars to pay these money hungry parking enforcers.
It sucks to not have the money to pay for things.

That said, I also have very little sympathy for your plight. You're violating a number of laws, all of which are laws designed to either maintain traffic flow or parking availability for small businesses (that's why you got parking tickets), or designed to protect the necessary revenue to support the government in the area you've chosen to live (those are the laws that say you should have an Illinois registration and plates by now, as well as things like a city sticker).

Also, if your insurance premiums are based on an Ohio address you're technically committing fraud.

Scofflaws like yourself increase costs for people who are willing to abide by the law. And, as another poster pointed out, it doesn't take that much effort to avoid parking tickets altogether. I've lived in Chicago for 15 years, and gotten a grand total of two parking tickets the entire time - one of which was a mistake by the ticketer and I successfully contested.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:13 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I've lived in Chicago for 15 years, and gotten a grand total of two parking tickets the entire time - one of which was a mistake by the ticketer and I successfully contested.
1 ticket in 15 years has to be a record

Old 12-18-2010, 02:52 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
If you get a boot it will be an expensive lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: