Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:22 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Interest is all fine and dandy, but don't sit there and tell me how strong "the machine" may or not be. Don't imply that I or anyone else should sit out voting in the mayoral election, because you think nobody has a chance but Rahm.

I and many others live Chicago's inner workings every day. You look at it from a distance and as an outsider.

So your stake is you want Rahm to win because it will benefit you somehow?

The mayoral election is about who benefits us in the city not you in the burbs.
When did I ever even imply that anyone should avoid voting! Of course I want you to vote, and everyone else in the city. That should guarantee the defeat of Rahm. It's not going to happen though (everyone voting). Rahm might still lose, but you can count the defeated machine candidates on one hand, even if you have a few fingers missing. The odds are pretty good. And I'm not exactly an outsider at distance. If Rahm spends the city into bankruptcy, my tax dollars will be funneled out of Springfield to bail them out. And if the city lets more cops go on an already depleted force, the gang members will run even more rampant, and they're only a few blocks away now.

Of course things will be even more disastrous for city residents. You should be flattered I'm so concerned about your well being!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 08:36 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
...my tax dollars will be funneled out of Springfield to bail them out...
Doubtful.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:50 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I'll be honest; I voted for Brady.

However, it was more of a vote AGAINST Quinn. I'm socially conservative myself, and I'll freely admit that Brady is a kind of a wacko. Mass gassing of dogs? Abolishing the minimum wage? Against equal pay for equal work?

What the heck? Is this guy a 19th century robber baron?

I agree with Aleking; all the GOP had to do was send some half brained, fiscally conservative person out there, and that would be the end of it.

I don't understand why people stick with party affiliation or social affiliation versus voting on the issues. I mean, listen - just because I'm Catholic and conservative doesn't mean I'll vote for another Catholic conservative politician that is a complete retard. I know plenty of ridiculously dumb conservatives.
I swear you said exactly what I was thinking. I'm a pro choice fiscally conservative catholic who voted for Brady even though his social positions are insane. We need more Mark Kirks, in the world. Any republican who can win Obama's old seat has a bright future ahead of him.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:27 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
My true vote went to McKenna in the primary. He seemed more experienced and more moderate. I voted for Brady also because Quinn does not appear willing or able to stand up to Madigan and Cullerton. The bigger issue is how many democratic State representatives & senators won. This was the crucial part of the election. Relegating Madigan and Cullerton to minority leadership roles would have done far more to fix our state's problems than Brady becoming governor. The disconnect is curious. People understood the need to change the makeup of the US Congress from an all Democratic make-up, yet seemingly didn't understand the need to do that on a Statewide basis. This needs to be the focus of the state Republican leadership during the next 2 years.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:03 PM

81 posts, read 110,558 times
Prepare to bend over now that Brady conceded to Quinn. Barring some kind of miracle before the election is made official, Quinn is going to run what is left of the state into the ground.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:02 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citybythelake View Post
Prepare to bend over now that Brady conceded to Quinn. Barring some kind of miracle before the election is made official, Quinn is going to run what is left of the state into the ground.
The good news is the Governor recall amendment passed. How does a common citizen begin that process and can we start now?

Old 11-05-2010, 07:24 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times
The people voted. Brady should not have started on his social issues agenda.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:31 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
The people voted. Brady should not have started on his social issues agenda.
Yes, people "voted". Let's see, Quinn won with 50.01% of the vote. Of the people who selected Quinn, probably 99% were actually voting against Brady, not FOR Quinn. I wouldn't be surprised if his own wife actually voted against Brady, and not for Quinn.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:52 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times
I know that's what I mean. It was the lessor of the worse choice. If Brady hadn't tried to push his social agenda, which doesn't resonante with many in Cook and Lake, he would have won.

In my opinion, his social issue positions are very out there. But that's my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:08 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
I simply voted for Quinn because he takes care of felony pardons, something Blagoevich ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago